Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RFI: Canister vacuums; what sucks and what doesn't?

Unfortunately, all the ones I've tried sucked (no pun intended), compared to mom's old vac. I think she only had 2 vacs I can remember and I'm in my mid 50's. OTOH, I've lost count of the canister vacs I've tried from the big box stores, all of which have crapped out in a few years, yet that's all they seem to carry these days. When mom passed away a few years ago, I should have snagged her Electrolux. It was still running strong (from the mid 80's)!

I'll have to look at/try the Miele when the current vac craps out.

I miss the days when appliances were properly engineered and built, and lasted 30+ years.

Site Supporter
    When I needed a new vacuum I asked the carpet cleaning vendor we use at work. He recommends this one from Walmart. It's cheap and works well.

But check out the vacuums on this youtube video.
    --Jason--

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What issues did you guys have with your Dysons?

I have the V8, a cordless model. It's perfect for my small place and works great, but I was surprised upon arrival to find it made of cheap-feeling plastic. I'm also aware that I've only had it for 2 years and with my place only being 1200sqft and no kids, no hairy dogs, etc, I might not run into the issues that might appear with heavier use.

Curious to hear the issues and if there's anything in particular I should be on the lookout for. I've only ever had shit vacuums until this Dyson, so I don't have a frame of reference to compare the Dyson against other quality vacuums.
    Mine is/was a V8 also. The first lost suction necessitating return and replacement. The second stopped taking a charge after about 1.5 years of use. It covers a small townhome. Cats are present but the device was cleaned regularly.
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

I have my grandmothers old electrolux as well as her old hoover. No, they are not made to that quality and I do have to differ that parts are readily available. Shark only sells certain parts and Dyson has been even worse to get parts for, IMHE.
    None of the plastic ones will hold up as well to someone who didn't pay for it. Those older metal heavy ones were fairly easy to maintain.

Now I do have a Shark, that I bought off of Woot (deal of the day website), and even found some refurbs via Amazon closer to what they should actually be priced at (mine was $80), as well as an garage sale Oreck for $2. Neither are cannister.

I have a panasonic canister vac that was consumers report top pick in the kenmore line when I bought it years ago. Heres their current recomendations

1 Kenmore Elite Pet Friendly UltraPlush 81714 Vacuum Cleaner Score 76 cr recommended
    2 Kenmore Pop-N-Go BC4026 Vacuum Cleaner score 76 CR Recommended
    3 Kenmore Pop-N-Go BC4026 Vacuum Cleaner score 76 CR recommended
    4 Kenmore 81614 Vacuum Cleaner. CR score 74 CR recommended
    5 Miele Complete C3 Marin Vacuum Cleaner. CR score 84 cr recommended

When I got my Panasonic they made kenmore vacuums and were less in price for basically the same model. Might wanna search who makes kenmore now.
    ETA
    However, earlier this year Panasonic confirmed that they are winding down their North American small appliance business and therefore will no longer be making Kenmore Vacuums as of the end of 2016.

As a result, Kenmore has entered into a partnership with the Chinese manufacturer, Cleva, who will continue to produce Kenmore vacuums based on the Panasonic designs. Cleva have purchased tooling from the Panasonic plant in Mexico and shipped it to their factory in China. They are also reported to have hired many of the Panasonic engineering and testing staff. ​We expect that the Cleva produced Kenmore vacuums should therefore stay consistent with the existing models, however time will tell.
    Last edited by UNK; 04-19-2023 at 09:58 AM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List