Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Canister vacuums; what sucks and what doesn't?

Site Supporter

RFI: Canister vacuums; what sucks and what doesn't?

My overpriced, underperforming Dyson vacuum has finally crapped out. I will not be getting another.

I was thinking that a canister may provide better performance at a lower price point. It will be used on 1/2 hardwood floors and 1/2 low-pile carpet townhouse. Cats are in home. Bag or bagless is OK. What is everyone using?
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Ms. Okie likes the Miele, which pretty much means that I like it, too

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    Ms. Okie likes the Miele, which pretty much means that I like it, too
    Same for Mrs. CF. She likes her Miele much better than the Dyson. Her only complaint is the very rapid automatic cord retraction. The cord whipped her a few times, so now she's flinchy every time she steps on the button.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Site Supporter
    Which model of Miele? I was looking at the C1 with the turbo brush head thingy...
    "Knowledge is good." Emil Faber, date unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason M View Post
    Which model of Miele? I was looking at the C1 with the turbo brush head thingy...
    Blizzard CX1 TurboTeam

Probably the C3. It was about $600 five years ago.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

I was also underwhelmed by our Dyson when we had one. When it died, we got a Shark NV501 and have been very happy with it for several years. I like that I can easily get at the filters and cleaning ports.

ETA: I think this is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Profess...0091JG0LY?th=1
    "The victor is not victorious if the vanquished does not consider himself so."
    ― Ennius

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Guerrero View Post
    I was also underwhelmed by our Dyson when we had one. When it died, we got a Shark NV501 and have been very happy with it for several years. I like that I can easily get at the filters and cleaning ports.

ETA: I think this is the one:

https://www.amazon.com/Shark-Profess...0091JG0LY?th=1
    This is what we've had for the last 8 years or so...the best vacuum we've owned in the last 30 years. They designed it for easy maintenance and cleaning/clearing of clogs, and spare parts are easy to order from Shark's website (I've replaced the wand/hose and a couple other small parts. The wife/kids treat the vacuum the same as their vehicles...as if they're in charge of long-term durability testing for the manufacturer). It's amazing at the amount of stuff it pulls out of the carpet.

What issues did you guys have with your Dysons?

I have the V8, a cordless model. It's perfect for my small place and works great, but I was surprised upon arrival to find it made of cheap-feeling plastic. I'm also aware that I've only had it for 2 years and with my place only being 1200sqft and no kids, no hairy dogs, etc, I might not run into the issues that might appear with heavier use.

Curious to hear the issues and if there's anything in particular I should be on the lookout for. I've only ever had shit vacuums until this Dyson, so I don't have a frame of reference to compare the Dyson against other quality vacuums.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What issues did you guys have with your Dysons?
    I have absolutely no clue what the problem was and I’m not going to ask. She liked how light the Dyson was, and was as happy with it as one could expect. Until she wasn’t and we needed a new vacuum asap.

User Tag List