Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cloud Defensive MCH-Duty Handheld Light

Cloud Defensive MCH-Duty Handheld Light

Cloud has been teasing their upcoming duty light for a little while and just today released a video overview.

I'm interested. I know some folks (cough, @NH Shooter, cough) won't like the user-programmable feature as manually strobing the light to enter programming mode means manual strobing as an illumination technique becomes problematic, but that's not something I've picked up during the couple low light classes I've taken.

Output comes in at 1,800 lm and 50,000 cd, which is a much lower candela rating than we're seeing from Modlite's duty offering in the HOG, and lower than Cloud's own MCH-HC (1,100 lm and 80,000 cd in the latest dual-fuel version). The video explains the reasoning behind it. I've been carrying an OKW HOG at work (.gov contract security) since their release in late January, and I love the runtime and the light's ability to penetrate window tinting and other mixed lighting conditions, but I do miss having plenty of spill.

I'll be picking one up when they're released, hopefully in the next few weeks. Don't know that it will replace my HOG, but might serve as a nice supplement to it. I currently carry a Stiletto Pro in my pocket at work that serves as an admin light plus a backup to the HOG, but it's all spill and no throw.

Still hoping someone comes out with my dream light: high candela/lumen rating plus an error-proof low mode like Malkoff's quarter-twist bezel. A guy can dream...

Site Supporter
    I have 3 MCH's and carry a HC on duty, I'll definitely be getting a couple of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey View Post
    I'm interested. I know some folks (cough, @NH Shooter, cough) won't like the user-programmable feature as manually strobing the light to enter programming mode means manual strobing as an illumination technique becomes problematic...

Still hoping someone comes out with my dream light: high candela/lumen rating plus an error-proof low mode like Malkoff's quarter-twist bezel. A guy can dream...

As CD and Modlite go tit for tat on their competing models, more options become available to us. Options are always good.

If I'm going to carry something on a belt (a light that is too bulky/heavy to be comfortably carried in a pants pocket), many excellent options already exist;

Malkoff Hound Dog Super (1,700 lumens/75,000cd, extremely broad spill) with high/low bezel switch (120 lumens on low) on a MD3 (2-18500) body with LF twisty tailcap.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Watched the teaser video last night, I'm digging it so far and most likely will make the purchase. I've been carry an MCH EDC for about a year on duty, used it a lot on building searches. It's been a good light, I did have an issue with 2 bad battery cells and it took a dump while searching a large open area one night due to a bad battery, but Cloud took care of it. Mine has taken a few drops and survived quite well. Happy with their product and customer service thus far. No experience with Modlite to compare to

On current technology, likely has a very big step down very early on

But magazine capacity sells

I like it, seems like a great handy light for hunting/woods/general use.

I did not know they used s7 steel for their bodies. I am a fan of s7 so just another bonus point for me.

Quote Originally Posted by EVP View Post
    I did not know they used s7 steel for their bodies. I am a fan of s7 so just another bonus point for me.
    Only for the bezel. The bodies are aluminum.

I could not find this on their site under Handheld Lights?

For size context, the Modlite HOG is 6-3/4" long with a 1.5" OD body and 1.765" OD head.

The Malkoff lego I posted above is also 6-3/4" long with a 1.0" OD body and a 2.23" OD head.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

Quote Originally Posted by EzGoingKev View Post
    I could not find this on their site under Handheld Lights?
    The light wasn't listed on their website until it was released for sale Friday morning. It's there now. 20% discount plus free shipping if you qualify for their professional program.

User Tag List