Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Taurus 856 first range test

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    So I'm thinking I may spend the money and have it chamfered, and perhaps cut to accept 9mm moons as well.....a two caliber gun.
    I had that thought as well but others pointed out that it’s only rated 38+p and 9mm chamber pressure is 357 level.

Jason

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    ...Some observations:

[1] Pretty rough finished. The star on the back of the cylinder is pretty gritty, lots of machine marks and looks like it scratched up the “breach face” (for lack of knowledge on what it’s actually called).

[2] Maybe normal, but there’s a decent swell on fired cases, about 1/4 to 1/3” up from the rim. Cases still ejected fine though, so might be normal.

[3] Big questions. The cylinder stop doesn’t fully engage with one or two of the cylinders when pulling the trigger slowly and stopping just before the hammer drops. When the hammer drops the cylinder stop drops in place, but generally not before. With that, when pulling the trigger quickly to a staged position instead of rolling all the way through, I can feel the stop generally drop in place.

Should any of this be something to worry about? Functionally it was great for the small round count I shot, and I haven’t cleaned it or oiled it yet, so that may help.
    1) Recoil Plate adequately covers that whole area. Breech is fine, too but would more accurately describe the area around the firing pin recess. Periodically put a drop of oil on the little springy nubbin of the cylinder pin, closing the cylinder, and doing a dozen dryfires will lubricate the pin, mechanism, star, hand, and guide trough through the recoil plate for the pin. Wipe off any excess from the recoil plate but leave a visible film.

2&3) Both are fine.

1&3) Will both smooth themselves further with use as the parts wear in.

Quote Originally Posted by CSW View Post
    I shot my 3" 856 as a bug gun in a local match last weekend. It has the Galloway kit, and ran without an incident, as I knew it would.
    Using wadcutters in a speed reload was a practice in frustration, because without chamfered cylinder mouths, getting a precise speed feed was a no go.
    Truncated cone bullets fell right in, but the wads, not so much.
    So I'm thinking I may spend the money and have it chamfered, and perhaps cut to accept 9mm moons as well.....a two caliber gun.

Other than the wadcutter issue, this revolver has over 1200 rounds thru, as zero issues:
    still tight, no slop.
    Might want to keep the 9mm moon loads pretty light though.

I don’t think the 38+P cylinder is meant to stand up to 357 magnum / 9mm NATO type pressures.

On a cheap gun… it’s asking for a Dremel chamfer, lol. I’ve done it with the tapered grinding stones.

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post
    I had that thought as well but others pointed out that it’s only rated 38+p and 9mm chamber pressure is 357 level.

Jason
    Our 9mm small frame revolver is by design a 5 shot based on the 605 model for this very reason. I would not recommend attempting to shoot 9mm out of an 856.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jetfire View Post
    Our 9mm small frame revolver is by design a 5 shot based on the 605 model for this very reason. I would not recommend attempting to shoot 9mm out of an 856.
    Just think how exciting that could be, Caleb!
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Ndbbm View Post

Jason
    Drat.

Just chamfered then.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

I played with a 3” 856 UL CH “concealed hammer” at a gunshow a while back, and have seen one on GB.

Caleb, please bring back the 2.5” barrels for the 856s, and tell ‘em we need a .32 UL. I have an older ported 731 UL that is sweet! I recently passed on a cool all deep gray Ti 731, like a fool!

Also consider adding the little adjustable sight on the 2” like on my 3” UL .22 WMR!

And while we're at, tell @jetfire I need a 2" Ultralite 22LR 8 shot.

I have a 856 and a 856 ULCH. now I need a carry 22LR. My wife took my 22LR LCR.

Quote Originally Posted by BN View Post
    And while we're at, tell @jetfire I need a 2" Ultralite 22LR 8 shot.

I have a 856 and a 856 ULCH. now I need a carry 22LR. My wife took my 22LR LCR.

Yeah, I have not seen a 2” UL .22LR or WMR in a LONG time. There are a bunch of nice lookin 3” .22 UL on GB.

Follow up

Having shot it enough to trust it, the 856 is my “working hoursl” EDC now. When I don’t need to worry about size and weight, I carry my S&W model 10-8.

My daughter visited from Arizona recently and she always wants to go shooting when she’s here. Of all the pistols we shot, mostly semi autos, she liked the 856 the best and was also the most accurate with it.
    Name:  IMG_1857.jpg
Views: 203
Size:  101.5 KB

User Tag List