Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus 856 first range test

Taurus 856 first range test

I picked up a new Taurus 856 Ultra-Lite (UPC 7-25327-62086-0) last week. I did a general revolver check out on it and everything was as it should be, timing and lockup was correct on all 6 chambers. The cylinder gap was a consistent .0025. My trigger pull gauge tops out at 8 pounds so I was unable to get a reading on double action, but estimate it at 10- 11 pounds. The single action was right at 4.5 pounds.
    I disassembled it and all internals seemed well fitted and saw no wear marks after about 100 dry fires.
    I replaced the hammer spring with a Galloway precision spring, the double action was still over 8 pounds but felt lighter. I also replaced the black ramp front sight with Taurus orange night sight.
    At the range Saturday, I ran a variety of standard pressure 38 spl loads through it, from Fedral Hydra shock 110 to 158 grain lead and FMJ. Recoil was as you would expect with a 16 oz gun, heavy but manageable. It hits to the sights with 150 grain and up, low with the lighter loads.
    The left target was strong hand from low ready at 5 yards with Underwood 150 grain wadcutter.
    The right was both hands from low ready at 5 yards with the same load.
    Name:  IMG_1778.jpg
Views: 1014
Size:  67.1 KB

Site Supporter
    Thanks for the NICE write-up. I'm curious what you think of the Recoil of the Underwood Wadcutter load in your Aluminum-framed Snubby?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey357 View Post
    Thanks for the NICE write-up. I'm curious what you think of the Recoil of the Underwood Wadcutter load in your Aluminum-framed Snubby?
    The Underwood’s are spicy for wadcutters, but about the same as federal’s 158 grain RNL and Fiocchi 158 FMJ. All are a handful in this light of a gun, about like an airweight J frame.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave303 View Post
    about like an airweight J frame.
    I owned an airlight j frame for about a minute before I dumped it due to issues with the barrel being canted. I’m a semi-auto guy, but really want a small revolver to toss in a pocket, or clip to gym shorts for little things like walking the dog, driving to work, etc.

I’m tempted by the 856 UL with the concealed hammer, vs the 642/442, vs I guess the LCR. I had so many issues with the 442 I had that I don’t think I want that route again. Any feedback on this gun vs its competitors?

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Any feedback on this gun vs its competitors?
    Mine is just a sample of one, but I did look at the S&W J frames and Ruger LCRs before I bought this Taurus. The advantages it had over the others were a replaceable front sight (lacking in the Smith), a 6 Round capacity, and it was $200 less than the S&W and $260 less than the Ruger.
    The fit and finish are better on the J frames and Ruger's, but the double actions on the ones I looked at were no better than the Taurus.
    The advantages to both the Ruger and S&W are proven track record, support, and parts availability.

I would do a complete check on any new revolver before purchase. I looked at several of various brands that had issues right off the store shelf.

I would have preferred the concealed hammer version, but it was not an option on the stainless Ultra-Lite
    This will not be a high round count gun, most likely a couple of cylinders each range trip, so it should hold up fine.

There are a lot of reports of issues with timing on the 856 series. Most often that the cylinder stop will drop before the hand can stop the cylinder from rotating back on the last two rounds (with 158 grain and a slow double action pull). The cylinder stop does drop as soon as there is pressure on the trigger in these guns, but mine is timed correctly and does not exhibit this behavior.

I have had various other snub revolver at one time or another, a S&W 442, Taurus 85, Rossie 581, Charter Arms UnderCover and On-Duty. The 442 was the best of the lot, and I should have held on to it.

I owned an airlight j frame for about a minute before I dumped it due to issues with the barrel being canted. I’m a semi-auto guy, but really want a small revolver to toss in a pocket, or clip to gym shorts for little things like walking the dog, driving to work, etc.

I’m tempted by the 856 UL with the concealed hammer, vs the 642/442, vs I guess the LCR. I had so many issues with the 442 I had that I don’t think I want that route again. Any feedback on this gun vs its competitors?
    I love my airweight J-frames and have trained with and used them as Rule 1 guns for a decade now. These days I'd probably default to an 856 UL if I were buying one new. Reasons:

-Pinned, replaceable front sight (in conjunction with different height options from Taurus), versus the fixed sight of the 642/442.

-No internal lock as a default. I know 642s are available with no lock, but they're much harder to find where I am, and it's just easier when there's only one option. No ordering a supposed 'no lock' version from a distributor and having a lock show up.

-6 shots.

-Holster availability is now getting better, so holster support vs a J-frame isn't as big of a deal as it used to be.

Any feedback on this gun vs its competitors?
    Bolke has a quite a few nice posts and words about the 856 on his FB and IG.

BLUF: He likes them.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    I ran a few cylinder's of 148 gr WC through my 3" Defender this afternoon, a mix of Delta Precision and Lost river, all 10 ring and in on a B8 @ yds and a cylinder on a plate at 15 with decent results, definitely better / quicker than my LCR. It's a neat, accurate and so far reliable little gun, I think it's time to get an AIWB holster for occasional light duty carry, too bad 38's are so F'n expensive, maybe it's time to start reloadiin again.

I hope they bring back the UL .32’s! I played with a 3” 856 UL at a show the other day and it was pretty sweet. Crazy light for a 3” gun!

Quote Originally Posted by Polecat View Post
    I hope they bring back the UL .32’s! I played with a 3” 856 UL at a show the other day and it was pretty sweet. Crazy light for a 3” gun!
    The 3 inch UL, of which there aren't a lot, is one of my favorite guns in our lineup. It's so handy but it's such a sleeper

User Tag List