Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So.......Obama wants to reinstate the AWB, huh?

We don't have to worry about Congress writing any significant anti-gun legislation.
    They know it'd be career suicide and they aren't lame ducks facing term limits.

What we do need to watch out for are Executive Orders from the desk of lame duck Obama.
    I can see Obama writing a AWB EO and Congress not challenging it.
    That gives Obama (and the Dems) gun control and Congress can pretend they didn't have anything to do with it.
    The good thing is EO's expire when he leaves office the bad part is the incoming Pres. could sign the same EO.
    That's what we need to watch out for.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Two things:

1) Mitt Romney did correct one major thing:

[ctrl+f 'automatic']
    CROWLEY: Governor Romney, the question is about assault weapons, AK-47s.

ROMNEY: Yeah, I'm not in favor of new pieces of legislation on -- on guns and taking guns away or making certain guns illegal. We, of course, don't want to have automatic weapons, and that's already illegal in this country to have automatic weapons. What I believe is we have to do, as the president mentioned towards the end of his remarks there, which is to make enormous efforts to enforce the gun laws that we have, and to change the culture of violence that we have.

2) Obama swung hard for his base last night. He was as populist as ever and when you're swinging hard for your base on the 2nd presidential debate, you're in major trouble. Romney could afford to swing to the middle and Obama should've, but he didn't b/c he's scared he has lost his base.

As a side note, that to me is subtle and psychological, did anyone notice that Romney wore a 'blue' tie and Obama wore a 'red' tie?
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by John Ralston View Post
    What I can't believe is that Mitt didn't say something like...

"Well, as for AK47's, I think we should make it illegal to use a firearm to commit ANY crime, including mass shootings...oh wait, it already IS illegal. If the thought of the death penalty doesn't make you stop what you are planning, I don't think one more gun law is going to change that. Cars kill more people every year than guns do, but I don't see anyone calling for a ban on them."

That would have been a big can of Shut Up
    Mitt missed quite a few opportunities, especially this one. An excellent response, IMO.
    I'm hoping those misses were left on the table intentionally, so as not to alienate the undecideds.
    I have a hard time putting myself in the mind of an undecided, so...

Honestly, I'm with the crowd that doesn't think another AWB has a snowballs chance, but that remaining vigilant is critical.

Quote Originally Posted by Desmond82 View Post
    Good read!

http://tacstrikeblog.com/the-problem...-panic-buying/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Awesome post. Although I have seen similar and shorter posts around here in various threads, this is probably one of the best posts on gun buying/training/stockpiling I've seen.
    Fairness leads to extinction much faster than harsh parameters.

We are diminished
    Quote Originally Posted by JodyH View Post
    I can see Obama writing a AWB EO and Congress not challenging it.
    How? The scope of the AWB went far beyond what an Executive Order can accomplish. If he can just EO anything he wants, we wouldn't have had the crazy fight over healthcare.

He still had to worry about reelection during the healthcare fight.

EO's can be as expansive as the President thinks he can get away with.
    Its up to Congress to challenge them on a seperation of powers basis.
    I fully expect the limits of EO's to be pushed by an Obama who doesn't have to worry about reelection.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."

We are diminished
    Respectfully, if you think Obama (or the Dems in Congress) pulled any punches getting healthcare through then you need to read up on the process.

Congress isn't the only entity that can challenge an EO.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post
    Respectfully, if you think Obama (or the Dems in Congress) pulled any punches getting healthcare through then you need to read up on the process.

Exactly.

And there has been no better time to ensure Congress swings further to the right, and the Senate the same way.

Even if you are liberal, you should be writting your Senator/Rep to tell them not to support ANY new firearms legislation.

If FDR could use an EO to send American citizens to internment camps, then restricting the sale of "assault weapons" with one is entirely feasible.

Quote Originally Posted by ToddG View Post

Trust me, I know exactly how healthcare was crammed through.
    The Dems payed a heavy price in the mid-terms for it as well.
    Obama was smart enough to let the congress-critters fall on the sword for that one.
    With a EO AWB nobody would pay the price because the guy who signs the EO is not up for reelection and the congress-critters have plausible deniability.

User Tag List