Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone use a Ritchie leather ankle holster

Site Supporter

Anyone use a Ritchie leather ankle holster

Haven't used an ankle rig in a long time. Thinking about adding one for certain, limited use for a snub. Has anyone used the Ritchie? Any other recs?

I've not tried anything from Ritchie Leather...however I have 2 ankle holsters from 5Shot Leather, same design set up.
    https://www.5shotleather.com/ankle-pocket.htm
    It's the 5 Shot version of the Lou Alessi ankle rig. Very comfortable, takes a little break in for the wool like liner/padding and leather band to mold to your ankle area. Retention was very good. Used it in regular clothes, over a sock or boot depending on shoes and suit/tie attire until I bought a G43. Highly recommend 5 Shot, good dude to do business with. I'm sure the Ritchie is very well made as well as it looks very similar.

I have a couple of the old Renegades that were excellent with my 642. I hear that the updated version made by The Wilderness is pretty good. I have a Galco Ankle Glove for the Shield and a similar Desantis for my 380 Bodyguard that so far seem pretty good.

I have two of his - one for the G43X and one for the G43 w/ a TLR-6. His ankle holsters are the best for me since Mr Alessi passed away. As I understand it the design is the same because Mr Ritchie was an apprentice of Mr Alessi. I also still use my Alessi for my G26. The use of felt is in my experience vastly superior to the sheepskin style of material used by most other ankle holsters. It's more comfortable even in places with extreme heat. Having a strap that will eventually get a "bend" in the leather makes it easier to find that sweet spot for me. Holsters with stretchy material and velcro result in the holster being too tight, too loose, or just right. But it requires guess work. The strap eliminates that.

I know some folks are uneasy with the lack of a thumbbreak, but on a properly made leather holster I have found this to be a non-issue. I've been using my Alessi since 2006 and worn it almost every day as my BUG. No matter what we were doing, it has stayed right where it should.

The new & improved Renegade from Wilderness is the shiznit with an LCR!

Yes

It is an outstanding design for a leather ankle holster.

That being said, I still much prefer the Renegade. Wilderness' Renegade quite honestly is just as good as the old one.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    Haven't used an ankle rig in a long time. Thinking about adding one for certain, limited use for a snub. Has anyone used the Ritchie? Any other recs?
    Ive got a Null looks pretty similar to the Ritchie. DB is a big fan of the Wilderness
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

I've been carrying an old aluminum frame colt cobra in a wilderness holster with the leather body for a little over a year. It has worked out very well. I carry it a minimum of 40 hours a week over a 6 or 8 inch boot. Been in some track meets and fights with it had no issues.

Lou Alessi made me a custom ankle rig for a PPK with a pull-through snap back in 1991, gifted to me by a mutual friend in law enforcement, and it’s still perfectly functional now after over twenty years of daily use. I haven’t used it in the past decade but it’s still one of the best made products I’ve ever used. I ran nothing but Alessi leather with 1911’s and the PPK bug until after he passed away, and my many Alessi holsters are still the gold standard for me.

My understanding is that Ritchie worked with Lou, and has preserved his techniques. If that’s true, I’m sure that it will be quality work.

I used an Ankle Glove for 27 years of near daily use with my 442.
    It finally gave up the ghost and I immediately replaced it with an identical version.
    I much prefer the version without a thumbsnap because it actually has better retention under the use case of an ankle holster, at least with a revolver. It also offer better retention than the Null I had or a Bianchi.

User Tag List