Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My Glock rear sight walks...

Ameriglo rears have a lot more fit variability in Glock dovetails than some other sights. Not a knock, have a bunch, but something I expect and plan for.

If a sight walks or fits soft I peen/dimple an edge, works fine. Can be knocked off with a file later if needed.

Taller rears getting knocked off center will be a thing as exposed guns get knocked into stuff out in the world.
    الدهون القاع الفتيات لك جعل العالم هزاز جولة الذهاب

Site Supporter
    The information about the steel hardness came from the instructions for the first set of Trijicon sights I purchased.

I am surprised that people have had to fit Dawson sights. All of the Dawsons I have installed went in with no problem with a sight pusher.

I can get my sights centered to within a few thousandths of an inch using the pusher.

I've always had to fit Dawson sights. From Glocks, HK's, and Kimbers. I personally prefer that.

I suggest the OP contact Ameriglo. I'm sure they will help you out.

In my prior thread post, I forgot to mention another sight install technique for a loose dovetail sight.
    This other technique involves finding something to use as a shim between the sight and the slide's dovetail.
    The material could be something such as a piece cut from an aluminum can; tin-foil; brass shim stock.
    Here's an Amazon link (shortened) for shim stock starting at .002" thickness:
    https://rb.gy/qrtim

I've had numerous GL-429's walk out on OEM and milled dovetails. I like Ameriglo as a company but their dovetails are way too loose and they need to fix that. I recommend Dawsons.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    I've had numerous GL-429's walk out on OEM and milled dovetails. I like Ameriglo as a company but their dovetails are way too loose and they need to fix that. I recommend Dawsons.
    So I'm not going crazy? Thank you. It's walked the same amount to the same side 2x. This is a factory dovetail, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    So I'm not going crazy? Thank you. It's walked the same amount to the same side 2x. This is a factory dovetail, btw.
    Not at all. Almost every time I see one of those "irons don't fail" posts/videos on social media, a majority of them are rears on the suppressor height Ameriglos. If a sight goes in easily, generally speaking it's going to loosen just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Olim9 View Post
    Not at all. Almost every time I see one of those "irons don't fail" posts/videos on social media, a majority of them are rears on the suppressor height Ameriglos. If a sight goes in easily, generally speaking it's going to loosen just as well.
    Exactly. If it’s easy to press into place, a sight is too loose.

Quote Originally Posted by Tannhauser View Post
    Exactly. If it’s easy to press into place, a sight is too loose.
    After reading the great replies here, I'm going to go after it with a brass or other soft punch per Dawson's video to see how loose it truly is. Not too worried about dinging it--might even dimple it before reinstalling it--prob just use red loctite first if I find enough snugness.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LowAndLeft View Post
    After reading the great replies here, I'm going to go after it with a brass or other soft punch per Dawson's video to see how loose it truly is. Not too worried about dinging it--might even dimple it before reinstalling it--prob just use red loctite first if I find enough snugness.
    Brass will certainly be softer than the sight, so I doubt you will leave a mark or otherwise damage the sight.

One nice thing about a punch is that you can apply the punch to the dovetail itself rather than the raised portion of the sight, further reducing the likelihood of damage. I know of only one sight pusher which is capable of pushing directly on the dovetail, and unfortunately it does not appear to be currently available.

User Tag List