Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision One Wadcutter Issues

Site Supporter
    My issues weren't super wide spread, probably 3 or 4 cartridges out of about 200 rounds fired. While I previously had no issues, I am not going to reach out to an ammo manufacturer with all of the recent shortages unless I am seeing massive issues. My rounds also went off on the second trigger pull, so it seems more like some improperly seated primers vs yours not going off and probably being a bad set of primers.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Moon View Post
    Sorry to hear that! Have you reached out to them?

Update on my end: got busy at work Monday so ended up e-mailing instead of calling. Got a rapid reply from Precision One's Office Manager. I answered a couple questions for them. And... gone silent since. Giving benefit of the doubt for the moment...

I'm not sure what QC protocols are for ammunition manufacturers. Suspect there is an iffy batch of primers out in the wild. From posts here, we know there were similar issues with Norma 9mm recently. The big question is how Precision One will handle it now that they're hearing about it.

@Half Moon, still no contact from them?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    @Half Moon, still no contact from them?
    They finally reached back out last Friday. They would like me to ship the ammo back for testing. They didn't give a shipping tag or such though they did provide an ORM-D .pdf to print for the boxes. So out of my pocket to send it. The hold up since them has been at my end. Between an emergency vet visit last weekend and a busy spurt all week at work I haven't got to shipping it out. Plans and intentions are to get it out tomorrow. So figure another week before I really know anything.
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

FWIW I shot 1 of my boxes of 50 today through 3 different revolvers with no issues other than the loose nut behind the trigger.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    I was practicing at the range today and was very surprised when I had a squib load with one of the plated wadcutter rounds ( 38 Special 148gr CPWC New P38148CPWCN25059) while practicing with my S&W model 12 snub (normally my dog walking and pajama gun). These were the rounds that I had been carrying in that gun for roughly a month (since my last range session). It wasn't contaminated by anything, there was no powder at all. For better part of two years I have been using these as carry ammo in my 2" revolvers. The bullet lodged in the barrel just beyond the forcing cone and had I been using the gun defensively... This was the older style bullet from a bulk back order that I got back in March 2022.

I just sent them an email asking to return the remainder of that order for a partial refund. We shall see what they say.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    My issues weren't super wide spread, probably 3 or 4 cartridges out of about 200 rounds fired. While I previously had no issues, I am not going to reach out to an ammo manufacturer with all of the recent shortages unless I am seeing massive issues. My rounds also went off on the second trigger pull, so it seems more like some improperly seated primers vs yours not going off and probably being a bad set of primers.
    That's a horrible failure rate for anything related to ammunition that will potentially be used for defense. Look at it this way, if it was an airplane that reliable, would you get on it for a flight?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

I really wanted to like these. I'm new to the revolver game. I've been waiting for some cash to buy some. well, thanks for beta testing for me!

I guess I'll have to work up some powder coated wadcutters.

If I were choosing ammunition for carry it would be from a company that holds.gov, military and state level, law-enforcement contracts. These types of companies have or likely have higher quality control That’s the reason they have the above contracts.

I believe reliability is thing one.

Site Supporter
    I’ll just say. Don’t be surprised with major ammo companies. There is a reason you can roll your own. If components are acceptable at your price point if you invest in it. Major companies care more about contracts. There’s alwYs a chance when you buy a batch of ammo. And then the rest is no good.

I think Federal makes their ammo using companies under one corp umbrella. Speer, Alliant and CCI, along with Federal, same same.

Sourcing primers, brass and powder from who knows where might cause some issues. I know it causes me some issues when I load.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

User Tag List