Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Precision One Wadcutter Issues

Precision One Wadcutter Issues

I've been a fan of the Precision One .38 Special 147 grain Copper Plated Wadcutters.

With my supply dwindling I recently topped off with a new order. The new batch has component changes. The most obvious is the bullet is no longer the dimpled type wadcutter but flat faced. The primer is a slightly different color.

First time at the range yesterday with the new batch, I found myself conducting an involuntary ball and dummy drill. On the good news front, my sights are steady with no sign of anticipation or flinch 😀 On the bad news front, about 1 in 5 of the new batch CPWC are failing to light off on a first strike. In some cylinders it was up to 2 in 5. I should have kept some of the brass but good center strikes at good depth on the primers. Issue occurred through about 100 rounds across two revolvers (a Chief's Special and a Model 60). Neither revolver had issues with the older CPWC batch or some random Norma 158 grain FMJ bought from the range. All failed rounds fired on a second strike.

I'll reach out to Precision One when they're open tomorrow.

Photos with old batch on the left, new batch on the right:

Name:  CPWC Front 400x300.jpg
Views: 1004
Size:  69.8 KB

Name:  CPWC Rear 400x300.jpg
Views: 1002
Size:  57.2 KB
    no one sees what's written on the spine of his own autobiography.

Thanks for the heads up, I just bought 100 rounds a couple of weeks ago but haven't been to the range yet. What's your lot #?
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks for the heads up, I just bought 100 rounds a couple of weeks ago but haven't been to the range yet. What's your lot #?
    I'm sad to say this but I'm not quite sure how to read the label. Comparing to the label on the old batch I'm guessing it's PC 495 (unless that's like a SKU, the old batch was the 250 round boxes, new batch is the 500 round bunkers). Date is 3/21/2023. For what it's worth here's the label:

Name:  CPWC Label 700.jpg
Views: 986
Size:  88.6 KB

Thanks! Mine are both PC 58, 2/24/2023, 50 round box so I guess we'll see. Hopefully I can try some next weekend.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I am not sure if it is the photo but the primer looks like a different type (I wonder if they are using non-US made primers?).

Site Supporter
    I have a bunch of old stock from them and it has always been good. Thanks for the heads up. I hope your issues get resolved.

Thanks for posting this. I have the old version and it has always worked well.

(I'm sure you will, but) please follow up if you get more information. I switched to these when I couldn't get Federal, and I've been very happy.

Site Supporter
    I recently bought 500 and had a few that didn't set off on the first strike. All of mine went off on the second. I had issues with two different colt cobras (both old first or second gen models) and 2 different K-frames (19-3 and 19-9). The rounds were still accurate, so I have a feeling its due to lack of QC.

Quote Originally Posted by rathos View Post
    I recently bought 500 and had a few that didn't set off on the first strike. All of mine went off on the second. I had issues with two different colt cobras (both old first or second gen models) and 2 different K-frames (19-3 and 19-9). The rounds were still accurate, so I have a feeling its due to lack of QC.
    Sorry to hear that! Have you reached out to them?

Update on my end: got busy at work Monday so ended up e-mailing instead of calling. Got a rapid reply from Precision One's Office Manager. I answered a couple questions for them. And... gone silent since. Giving benefit of the doubt for the moment...

I'm not sure what QC protocols are for ammunition manufacturers. Suspect there is an iffy batch of primers out in the wild. From posts here, we know there were similar issues with Norma 9mm recently. The big question is how Precision One will handle it now that they're hearing about it.

User Tag List