Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Precision One Wadcutter Issues

Site Supporter
    So far Precision One has been at best politely disinterested. They did respond to my second email and asked if the ammo had gotten wet, but nothing after that. No word yet on sending any of this ammo back. I guess it is probably going to go into quarantine until I have time pull it all apart and reload it all with known powder charges. Since I have several hundred rounds of it that is not an exciting prospect.

My model 12 is going to have to go to a gunsmith to have this thing removed. We can't really budge it with a bunch and BIG hammer, and I am scared to try and melt it out, so hopefully an arbor press and a jig will be the ticket. I think that I am probably done with Precision One.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    So far Precision One has been at best politely disinterested...
    That's truly disappointing as I really like the idea of jacketed WC and have about 400 of these laying around.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    That's truly disappointing as I really like the idea of jacketed WC and have about 400 of these laying around.
    I agree. I have been shooting this as a carry load in my 2" airweights for about a year and a half now. I have a ratty old mostly nickled 38-2 that thinks it is a target revolver with this stuff. Still spooks me that this squib round was in my carry ammo that I had been packing around in that Model 12 for weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by revolvergeek View Post
    So far Precision One has been at best politely disinterested. They did respond to my second email and asked if the ammo had gotten wet, but nothing after that. No word yet on sending any of this ammo back. I guess it is probably going to go into quarantine until I have time pull it all apart and reload it all with known powder charges. Since I have several hundred rounds of it that is not an exciting prospect.

My model 12 is going to have to go to a gunsmith to have this thing removed. We can't really budge it with a bunch and BIG hammer, and I am scared to try and melt it out, so hopefully an arbor press and a jig will be the ticket. I think that I am probably done with Precision One.
    That stinks! Super silly question… did you use some penetrating oil and let it sit before using the BFH?

I had a friend who couldn’t bang it out… but some penetrating oil and it helped enough that he could tap it out.

I've seen old-timers use a small c-clamp with a brass rod in the barrel

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    That stinks! Super silly question… did you use some penetrating oil and let it sit before using the BFH?

I had a friend who couldn’t bang it out… but some penetrating oil and it helped enough that he could tap it out.
    Yes. Never had to deal with a stuck plated bullet before and it is acting very differently than the couple of lead and coated ones I have deal with in recent years. The last .38 wadcutter squib we had to clear came out with a wooden dowel and a very small hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian T View Post
    I've seen old-timers use a small c-clamp with a brass rod in the barrel
    That is an interesting idea! I am going to try that later. Thanks!

One possible explanation for the difficulty is that a full wadcutter has more barrel engagement than other bullet designs. Another is the copper. I've had to tap out a couple of JHPs and they were much tougher than the cast and coated lead bullets I've removed. And another reason could be that plated bullets tend to be soft and just deform, actually swaging into the rifling instead of moving down the barrel. Just another reason for me to avoid plated bullets. Try to use a rod that is as big as the barrel will allow in.

Not all of these were mine, I keep a range rod in my bag which got used often at matches.

I have a few boxes of this from who knows when. I guess I should just dump it in the trasj.

Site Supporter
    Status update; they originally offered to swap me round for round with ammo from a new batch, but then when I asked out that transaction would work they quit responding to emails. Looks like I will be pulling all this rounds down and reloading them at some point in the future. Precision Once will not get any more of my money. I got disgusted with the whole thing and have just put the model 12 up in the safe for the time being, but will get it back up and running soon.

That’s too bad! I think I finished off the last of the 2 boxes I had during the last range session. I had no problems with them but I also had no problems with the Fiocchi wadcutters I had on hand either.

Accuracy was the same near as I could tell (I AM the weakest link in that chain!🤣 ) so it looks like I’ll stick with the Fiocchi instead of ordering more PO.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

User Tag List