Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: JMCK AIWB George Cracked

I've had quality holsters crack also. But, since I started using a wedge/pillow I'm wearing my belt looser when carrying AIWB and have not had any issues.
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by 1slow View Post
    I agree with both of the makers above.

Leather has problems too. In SC summer I would sweat through an IWB in 4 hours. I had 3 sets to rotate to dry.

Plastic does not soak through and stay wet.
    One of the biggest reasons I went all plastic.

Long behind me are the days of combating rust on a 1911, dealing with a sweat soaked Galco Royal Guard. Damb thing freaked at one point. Ridiculous.

Kydex/Boltaron/whateversynthetic is The Way, for me.

My JMCK Engma Shell cracked at the usual wing area in around 8 or 9 months.

That said I wear it 16 or so hours a day and shoot at least twice a week so not too upset

New “ George “ on the way. Also recently started using the mastermind tactics pillow wedge with my spare jmck aiwb. This combo works great for me carrying my g19.

Yes, had the same crack in the same place on a similar holster. Since it was at a flex point and I had gotten years of hard use with it I figured it was expected and normal. Since I felt like I got more than my money’s worth with the service life of the holster I didn’t contact the maker.

Just curious if sweat may cause these plastics to get brittle or something. Personally I have a hard time believing that plastic will crack like that without either having been folded at a sharp angle or having some type of chemical attack. I'm not too familiar with Kydex or Boltaron but I've done tests on different types of polycarbonates and it's amazing how well they will hold up to bending. But add in some isopropyl alcohol or long periods of hot and wet environments and PC falls apart. Maybe the hot/moist environment could be more of a thing for breaking down these plastics.

Just a thought. Not saying Kydex or Boltaron is inferior or anything.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    New “ George “ on the way. Also recently started using the mastermind tactics pillow wedge with my spare jmck aiwb. This combo works great for me carrying my g19.
    Hard part is waiting for it to arrive

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    I know people love to hate on them, but I still love hybrid holsters for carry AIWB.

Leather sweatguard and outer kydex.

I haven’t broken one. The leather sweatguard flexes and doesn’t create the pointy, pokey parts when you bend over (or when being grabbed / wrestled).
    I like mine, too, and honestly don't understand why they became something of derision on this forum, as if they were a Fobus or XD. I asked once and was given the "if you don't know I'm not going to tell you" and other inarticulate amswers, iirc. Maybe it's the belief the leather will get old and bent and cause an ND?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve m View Post
    This is the exact combo for me that works. Just discovered this about a week ago when my mastermind pillow arrived.
    “Archer not arrow. No such thing as a perfect pistol. Until you commit to being a better archer, you’ll keep hunting for a better arrow.”

-JCN

Quote Originally Posted by Rocky Racoon View Post
    I like mine, too, and honestly don't understand why they became something of derision on this forum, as if they were a Fobus or XD. I asked once and was given the "if you don't know I'm not going to tell you" and other inarticulate amswers, iirc. Maybe it's the belief the leather will get old and bent and cause an ND?
    I think they stick around because they work well for some people and not so much for others. I can at least articulate and give you a straight answer as to why I'm a hater. I don't like the that the holster is soft on one side of the gun and the kydex only retains the other half. It collapses and is not as smooth when reholstering. I don't like the top of the sweatguard coming in over the opening either. Just not my jam, but I wouldn't go as far as to say they shouldn't exist.

User Tag List