Thread: storage boxes for AR uppers

storage boxes for AR uppers

Anyone know of a source for smaller orders (e.g. at most 5 at a time) of boxes that are sized appropriately for an AR upper? The factory Colt box has external dimensions of 30.5x5x3 which seems ideal for standard length barrels. I'm looking for boxes for 11.5" barrels, so external dims would be roughly 22x5x3.

I'm aware of this place, though I haven't used them: https://www.uline.com/product/Guided...S%2c25%3b1%3bS

Seems like they're more geared toward bulk orders. Similar results on amazon are the same.

This is for storage not shipping so lighter weight also works, doesn't have to be 200lb test.

Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Anyone know of a source for smaller orders (e.g. at most 5 at a time) of boxes that are sized appropriately for an AR upper? The factory Colt box has external dimensions of 30.5x5x3 which seems ideal for standard length barrels. I'm looking for boxes for 11.5" barrels, so external dims would be roughly 22x5x3.

I'm aware of this place, though I haven't used them: https://www.uline.com/product/Guided...S%2c25%3b1%3bS

Seems like they're more geared toward bulk orders. Similar results on amazon are the same.

This is for storage not shipping so lighter weight also works, doesn't have to be 200lb test.

If theres a Hobby Lobby nearby, you might have a look around there. I recall seeing some clear plastic storage boxes in interesting sizes and shapes one time I was there.

Edit: Just looked on their website, theres hundreds of pages of containers. I think the long clear rectangular ones I saw were in the art supplies section with clear sectioned tackle box type containers.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-15-2023 at 11:36 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

We use Uline at work and yes they are geared to commercial customers but then again, a 25 bundle would be a long term supply for ~$60-65. And you could probably sell some of extras to buddies with the same idea.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Fed Ex often has a variety of boxes in store for single sale. Worth a drive by.

Edited to add: as you might have to ship an upper for work/for sale etc. the USPS will ship you 10 triangle boxes that would work for free. Be advised that they can be hit and miss with what they have in stock and ship times but free is free.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...tube-P_O_1098S
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Quote Originally Posted by vcdgrips View Post
    Fed Ex often has a variety of boxes in store for single sale. Worth a drive by.

Edited to add: as you might have to ship an upper for work/for sale etc. the USPS will ship you 10 triangle boxes that would work for free. Be advised that they can be hit and miss with what they have in stock and ship times but free is free.

https://store.usps.com/store/product...tube-P_O_1098S
    Well, the price was certainly right.

If that doesn't work out I can try hobby lobby or fedex. I stopped by the UPS store since the website says they can do custom sizes but the person there had no idea what that was about.

I use the triangle usps boxes for storage and shipping. Also tubular art containers work well if there’s no optic attached

Quote Originally Posted by theJanitor View Post
    I use the triangle usps boxes for storage and shipping. Also tubular art containers work well if there’s no optic attached
    Like something from hobby lobby?

like these:

Name:  Ha35a3e6c661c4278b536f5a83bf566e0x-2871488265.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  27.6 KB

they don't really work if the optics are attached. but if those are on a QD, they can be kept in the same tube. Lights normally can stay attached if the tube is sized right

User Tag List