Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Kimber Goes Wide

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    That will be tough, unless the Kimber ends up being pure aids.

$1499 MSRP vs $3200 MSRP; Lets say $1300 vs $3000 street price.

The Kimber at $1300 could have $700 worth of Gunsmithing to get super perfect, and still be $1000 less then the EDC X9.

That said, Kimber.

The real killer app is likely to be the DWX Compact when it comes out.
    I don’t look at value as the cheapest. I look at value as the best quality for the dollar. You put another $700 into a $1300 Kimber and you have a used gun worth $1000 if you’re lucky. $700 into a Kimber also doesn’t give you a Wilson either.

We can agree to disagree

Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    I don’t look at value as the cheapest. I look at value as the best quality for the dollar. You put another $700 into a $1300 Kimber and you have a used gun worth $1000 if you’re lucky. $700 into a Kimber also doesn’t give you a Wilson either.

We can agree to disagree
    Yes in terms of re-sale value / guns as a "store of value" possession that can be converted into cash, upgrading is almost always a net loss, and premium products almost always hold their value much better.

I was speaking in terms of 'bullet shooting machine per $' value.

We have a couple of Kimber HD Pro Carry II converted from 38 Super to 9mm. They have been reliable, but the 'smiths who took care of the conversions did a good. Earlier in the thread someone noted "they already make the slide". With that I give you the bumbling introduction of the 5" Springer Prodigy. We've had as many as six of the 9mm Stainless Springfields, all super reliable with tool steel ignition parts for durability of our 3 lb. triggers over many, many tens of thousands of rounds.

Back to the Kimbers - I really like the balance of the 4" bull barrel 1911s, but I still carry my C2.

Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

HM gives some initial thoughts.

Murder Machine, Harmless Fuzzball TCinVA's Avatar
    No mention of stoppages or malfunctions...which I find surprising. It sounds like he bought it himself, so we'll see how it goes in the long term.

Incidentally, a long time ago when Todd told me he was going to test a 9mm 1911 after I got done laughing at him and delighting in how the gun was going to utterly ruin his life (I was proven wrong), we started talking about possibilities and I said at the time it was a shame that Smith & Wesson couldn't blend the 945 and the 5906 to produce a high capacity 9mm pistol that ran reliably and had the 1911's safety and trigger advantages.

This Kimber is within striking distance if what I had in my head, but way uglier than what I envisioned.

Wouldn't it be a hoot if Kimber actually makes a reliable handgun and it's a double stack 9mm?

Imagine telling yourself that would be the case 15 years ago.

"TC...I'm you from the future!"

"Wow. So what's it like?"

"Well, somebody shot a gorilla. Donald Trump was president. And Kimber makes a reliable double-stack 9mm 1911."

"Riiiiiiiiiiiiight, future man."
    3/15/2016

User Tag List