Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Goes Wide

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Glad to see the DWX finally make it out to the wild.
    I just shot mine at a match last week. I love the DWX

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    Pistol is very handsome, and I like the lack of grip safety, as well as the external extractor. Overall looks like a 1/2 price Wilson EDC X9.
    Not so sure about the grip safety. Can't really tell what's goin on here. Looks like it pivots like a normal grip safety but there doesn't appear to be any protrusion to deactivate it.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  19.5 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ichiban View Post
    Not so sure about the grip safety. Can't really tell what's goin on here. Looks like it pivots like a normal grip safety but there doesn't appear to be any protrusion to deactivate it.

Name:  Capture.JPG
Views: 374
Size:  19.5 KB
    I’m assuming there isn’t a grip safety.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Site Supporter
    Here's the problem with Kimber now. They have done some dumb stuff and their products have reflected that. Their external extractor was crap, they use a lot of MIM parts, they have some blingy guns, etc... The issue now is that they have screwed so many things up over the years that even if they do something right people will mock it.

Case in point -- the LW Government models Kimber is making. No frills guns without their hated firing pin safety. And they actually run. Well in fact. But it doesn't matter to people who have already made up their minds based on Kimber's missteps.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Here's the problem with Kimber now. They have done some dumb stuff and their products have reflected that. Their external extractor was crap, they use a lot of MIM parts, they have some blingy guns, etc... The issue now is that they have screwed so many things up over the years that even if they do something right people will mock it.

Case in point -- the LW Government models Kimber is making. No frills guns without their hated firing pin safety. And they actually run. Well in fact. But it doesn't matter to people who have already made up their minds based on Kimber's missteps.
    I see Kimber as style over substance. All sorts of crazy slide cuts and color schemes, etc. They’re priced largely in the mid range, but deliver low end products from a quality standpoint.

No thanks

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by bac1023 View Post
    I see Kimber as style over substance. All sorts of crazy slide cuts and color schemes, etc. They’re priced largely in the mid range, but deliver low end products from a quality standpoint.

No thanks
    Like I said. Kimber is offering 45 and 9mm guns in the $600-$700 price range with no frills that actually run. But people have their minds made up. I am carrying a Kimber LW Government Model 9mm because I've shot it enough to know it's not going to malfunction. I'm not a Kimber fanboy and I've owned guns from Colt Custom, Springfield Armory Custom, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Baer, etc... and yet I trust a lowly Kimber. My gun has no crazy slide cuts or color scheme, though it has gone thousands of rounds without a single malfunction. I must be a fool. Or maybe I know some things based on experience.

No thanks
    Kimber does push a lot of style in anything above the basic models, offering no real value over the base Kimber Custom. The flip side of that is good custom pistols built on Kimber pistols sell for much less than the same gun built on a Colt or SA would. I have one that has some work from Chuck Rogers. Well, it was a Kimber. The only OEM parts left are the frame, slide, and barrel. He does not build junk, and he will use Kimber barrels, frames, and slides. I did not have the work done, and I paid much less than the cost of the parts, let alone the labor, for the finished product.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinson View Post
    Like I said. Kimber is offering 45 and 9mm guns in the $600-$700 price range with no frills that actually run. But people have their minds made up. I am carrying a Kimber LW Government Model 9mm because I've shot it enough to know it's not going to malfunction. I'm not a Kimber fanboy and I've owned guns from Colt Custom, Springfield Armory Custom, Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, Baer, etc... and yet I trust a lowly Kimber. My gun has no crazy slide cuts or color scheme, though it has gone thousands of rounds without a single malfunction. I must be a fool. Or maybe I know some things based on experience.
    I have always said, the best Kimbers are the base models.

I’ve owned several myself over the years.

Site Supporter
    I have always said, the best Kimbers are the base models.
    Agreed, and they can keep the crazy (flashy) stuff. They can also keep their firing pin safety of which I am not a fan.

Well yeah. You’re talking Kimber vs Wilson though. The funny thing is, the Wilson is likely a better value.
    That will be tough, unless the Kimber ends up being pure aids.

$1499 MSRP vs $3200 MSRP; Lets say $1300 vs $3000 street price.

The Kimber at $1300 could have $700 worth of Gunsmithing to get super perfect, and still be $1000 less then the EDC X9.

That said, Kimber.

The real killer app is likely to be the DWX Compact when it comes out.

User Tag List