Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: been away from 9mm auto for a long time, but...

been away from 9mm auto for a long time, but...

Gonna be 60 in a few weeks, still trying to figure out how THAT happened!
    Cue the Grandpa Simpson voice....
    Back in the day, like 25yrs ago, I was shopping for a 9mm. It was down to the Glock 17 and the Baretta 92. I went with the Baretta 92 for a few reasons, but a **BIGGIE was the difference in the trigger pull. I'm prob not using the right terminology, but the Baretta had that classic trigger pull that my finger seemed to be looking for; I could feel it right up tight against the spring and know *precisely when it was going to break, which led to greater accuracy. In contrast, the Glock seemed to have so much 'creep,' that when the damn thing fired, it was like SURPRISE!!! I'm sure had I gone with the Glock, with time/practice, all would've been well....but I went with the Baretta.
    Few years later hard times hit and I had to let some things go. :-(
    Now, in my 'senior years' I'm thinking of buying a 9mm again. Only thing is, there's about 50million new options/variants. WOW. I don't even know where to start.
    Which is the point of this rambling post.
    Before I even walk into my local retailer and get the opinion of one person behind the counter, I wanted to post here.
    In thinking about a 9mm *now (vs 25yrs ago), some of the requirements are the same. I would like mag capacity at over 10. I would like **stellar track record for reliability; I would like total easy-peasy field stripping; I would like it NOT to co$t a fortune. $800 for a gun is beyond my reach. Last....we come back to that trigger pull issue. I have a feeling it could still be a concern. Maybe that argues against Glock still. But I don't know enough about the Sigs, Walthers, S&Ws etc. out there [the 50 million] to know which ones are "Glock-esque" vs which ones aren't.
    Ok, so much for the ramble. I'll shut up now and listen.
    Thanks!
    Tim

Welcome to the forum. A few questions that might help people make good recommendations. What is your experience level with handguns? What is the intended purpose of the gun (home defense, concealed carry, competition, plinking)? Do you have a range near you that rents guns where you can try a few different ones? Do any of your friends have any of the guns you’re considering so you could try theirs out? How much money are you comfortable spending?

Site Supporter
    Happy Friday:

1. I am way down the Glock rabbit hole and have been since Law School in 1991.
    2. I have stayed there given that is what the bulk of my client agencies shoot and I have armorer support for the same.
    3. Just recently recommitted with RDS on a G17 and a G22 (already owned Gen 3s)

Having said all of that, IMHO, a Gen 5 Glock seems like the easy button with a SW M&P 2.0 worth a look as well. Triggers have never been better from the factory though I acknowledge it is still a Glock. Accuracy out of the box is measurably better for many shooters relative to previous generations.

The OEM/Aftermarket support for the Glock is unparalleled.

The ergonomics of the M&P, availability of a thumb safety and metal magazines are also drivers from some folks. The OEM/Aftermarket support is solid though not as robust as that for Glock. Apex makes duty/self defense safe triggers that are excellent as well.

Finally, if you liked the Beretta back in the day and you are going to put the time into managing two distinct trigger pulls as well as the decocker/safety- go for it. I would humbly submit the platform, with its 2 distinct trigger pulls and decocker/safety, is a harder pistol to shot well a pistol with a single trigger pull, but it is certainly doable.

Finally, in order to future proof you purchase I would look long and hard at one that can mount an RDS and perhaps a light as well without having to be milled to do so.

Be safe and well.

PS-Kudos for WP framing the issues in his posting above!!!
    I am not your attorney. I am not giving legal advice. Any and all opinions expressed are personal and my own and are not those of any employer-past, present or future.

Site Supporter
    1 - Pick one. It doesn’t matter.

2 - get a quality holster or three.

3 - shoot it, get trained and shoot it some more.

There’s a Beretta APX in the classifieds here that I keep looking at and thinking, “oh, that’s such a deal. I liked the one I shot - I should get it for a spare.” Then I slap myself and say I should really be worried about other things.

So if money is an issue but you want a quality gun, go to the firearms classifieds here and buy the Beretta APX with 5 magazines that’s so cheap, a cheap jerk like me keeps having to talk himself out of calling the guy and buying it.

I actually think the decision is largely where you left it years ago: Glock or a Beretta 92.

There are many fine firearms available, but in my view for a standard do-it-all pistol, those are the go-to options. You probably want either a Glock 19 or a Beretta 92x Centurion G. It really comes down to if you want a single consistent trigger pull, or a DA/SA system.

Personally, I’d go with Glock (and I have). They’re no worse than a B+ in every category, and an A+ in two that matter a lot: Reliability and aftermarket support (most importantly, holsters and sights).

A Glock 19 MOS with a Holosun SCS is what I’d buy. Take a training class to learn how to operate the trigger, and practice dry fire a lot. You can definitely learn it… I find with the Glock, there is lots of loose take up, followed by two short bumps, and then the break. If working on a precision shot, I can prep past those two bumps and have a very short break. I can also pull straight through at speed—it’s about isolating the motion of your index finger from the rest of your hand.

The M&P M2.0, Walther PDP, H&K VP9, H&K P30, Sig P320, Sig P365, Sig P226, and so on are all fine pistols, but they all have various downsides.

Here’s 20 pages of people talking (for the most part) about trying other guns, and ultimately returning to Glock: https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....d-is-new-again
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 04-14-2023 at 09:15 AM.

CZ75B or P01
    Used P229
    Glock with fully tensioned trigger (Timney or Glock performance trigger).

My first thought was, you had and liked a Beretta, so get another Beretta.
    But if $800 is too much, Bud's price for a 92FS is $699 to which you would have to add the local dealer's registration fee.

If you were local I would sell you my Glock and we would both be better off.

The S&W Plastic M&P is much more to my liking, you can't have mine.

In the past 25 years, there have been a lot of 9mms introduced, you can have a lot of fun shopping.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Gen 5 Glock is the easy answer if you dont plan to modify anything internally. Out of the box, it offers a "jack of all trades, master of none" experience. It just works and its reliable.

The M&P 2.0 is my other answer as it can surpass the Glock and punch way above its weight, *BUT* you have to decide if that juice is worth the squeeze. (About an additional $400 for Apex FSS kit and barrel) Out the box, it offers a "meh" experience in 9mm outside of superior ergos and grip stippling.

Go to a range and rent some 9mms and try them out. See what you like. If Berettas are what you like, you can still pick one up within your price range, especially used.

As I think Dagaboy once said, we are now in gold age of reliable handguns. There are at least a half dozen suitable tribes you could dive into and get reliable, suitably accurate 9mm handguns what have good support for things like holsters, etc.

Everybody here has one or two or maybe three brands/models they prefer for one reason or another, and their reasons are certainly worth considering. End of the day you have far more good options than the last time you waded in.

User Tag List