Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Read It And Weep

Read It And Weep

I knew I was ahead of the curve when I pulled the plug at 51...and I can't say that I'm surprised...

The annual list of Best Places in Work in the Federal Government is out and many law enforcement agencies struggled with their employee satisfaction and engagement scores.

The Partnership for Public Service and Boston Consulting Group developed the list using data from the Office of Personnel Management’s (OPM) Federal Employee Viewpoints Survey (FEVS).

The ranking is based on three core prompts:

I recommend my organization as a good place to work.

Considering everything, how satisfied are you with your job?

Considering everything, how satisfied are you with your organization?

Department of Homeland Security

The Department of Homeland Security (DHS) ranked 16 out of 17 large agencies on its engagement and satisfaction score. Only the Social Security Administration ranked lower. The DHS score dropped slightly from the prior year.

Some of the DHS subcomponents scoring on the higher end include the U.S. Coast Guard (190 out of 432 subagencies (tie)), the Federal Emergency Management Agency (190 out of 432 (tie)), and Citizenship and Immigration Services (227 out of 432).

The Federal Law Enforcement Training Center (FLETC) ranked 326 with a score of 63.1 and the U.S. Secret Service came in at number 375 with a score of 58.4.

A few DHS agencies find themselves close to the basement. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) ranked 418 with a score of 52. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) ranked 419 among agency subcomponents with a score of 51.2. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) ranked 427 out of 432 with a score of just 45.2.

Department of Justice

The Department of Justice (DOJ) finished 15 out of 17 large agencies. DOJ’s score dropped more than four points from the prior year.

The Federal Bureau of Prisons (BOP) finished last in agency subcomponents, with an engagement and satisfaction score of just 35.5.

The highest-ranking DOJ subcomponent was the Environment and Natural Resources Division which ranked number 20 with an 85.8 score.

Other DOJ subagencies to note are the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives (ATF) which ranked 239 with a score of 68.5.

The U.S. Marshals service ranked 281 with a satisfaction score of 66.5. The FBI finished ranked 386 with a score of 57.2 while the Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) ranked 250 with a score of 68.

Overall Satisfaction Slips

Overall, the government’s employee satisfaction and engagement score dipped to 63.4 in 2022 a 1.1 point decrease. While lower than the previous year, the decrease is still less than the 4.5 point drop that the survey found in 2021, indicating that while engagement and satisfaction continue to decrease, the lag is not as dramatic as previous years.

Workforce measurements including feds’ perceptions of leadership, work-life balance, and innovation also showed poorer results in the Partnership’s analysis this year.

The downturn in employee engagement and satisfaction came as federal leaders were making decisions about returning to the office post-pandemic and dealing with new challenges surrounding hybrid work. There were also issues with uncertainty surrounding pay raises with rising inflation and demand to implement major legislative initiatives.

The Partnership for Public Service notes that “This troubling two-year trend represents a clear signal that the Biden administration and leaders across government need to urgently address workforce concerns with proactive efforts. Having a highly motivated and engaged workforce is critical to a well-functioning government and the success of our country.”

Meanwhile, OPM is preparing for the 2023 FEVS. In a memo, OPM Director Kiran Ahuja said the survey is on track to be administered in early May.
    Source:
    https://www.fedagent.com/news/doj-dh...eid=87f8130218

Whenever I speak to my former partner down in Miami, at least annually, he tells me he wishes he could've afforded to walk when I did.
    Last edited by blues; 04-13-2023 at 04:40 PM.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Preface: not LE.

I used to roll my eyes when FEVS time came; at my previous agency everyone went absolutely war criminal in their responses. While they were accurate and deserved nothing ever came of it. Even after the Department IG and HR Care Bears took notice and started asking questions.

Now in a new agency, and Department, the SES and GS-15 board room are making active efforts based on FEVS replies and it is showing.

Preaching to the choir but senior leadership always has room to shift organizational culture. If they don’t, that’s very telling.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

I gotta say, I'm not surprised at the ranking of the BOP. I had almost daily interaction with the BOP in the job I retired from a year ago. Most of those interactions revealed a stunning level of either incompetence and/or failure to give a shit. Every so often you would come across case manager trying to do a good job and they were an absolute delight to deal with, true gems; but they were few and far between.
    All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
    No one is coming. It is up to us.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I knew I was ahead of the curve when I pulled the plug at 51...and I can't say that I'm surprised...

Source:
    https://www.fedagent.com/news/doj-dh...eid=87f8130218

Whenever I speak to my former partner down in Miami, at least annually, he tells me he wishes he could've afforded to walk when I did.
    It's a sad commentary for sure. I remember in the 80's and mid 90's the few Customs & Marshals I knew where very engaged and happy with what they were doing. Looks like they've managed to burn that feeling out of their staff.
    -All views expressed are those of the author and do not reflect those of the author's employer-

Quote Originally Posted by FNFAN View Post
    It's a sad commentary for sure. I remember in the 80's and mid 90's the few Customs & Marshals I knew where very engaged and happy with what they were doing. Looks like they've managed to burn that feeling out of their staff.
    When I joined Customs in the 80's, it was one of the most sought after jobs by agents and LEOs from various other federal agencies, and police (as well as military) departments. They had the opportunity to recruit from among the best in the field.

I left a year or so after the creation of DHS and the folding of legacy U.S. Customs special agents into ICE / HSI along with agents from INS. It wasn't a happy marriage to begin with, and according to my partner who stayed on four or five years after I left, I got out of Dodge at just the right time. The picture he painted was bleak.

Some years later, an agent I worked with both in the same investigative group as well as on our Warrant Entry Team, was promoted and became a DSAC out in the L.A. area. He was shot multiple times by one of his own people in his office, who was in turn put down by another agent in the group.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-i...81G07Q20120217

He spent the next couple of years in a wheelchair and learning to walk again, as well as use his hand.

Clearly, that's not the norm, but the point is that things had gone from bad to worse and it doesn't sound to me, from my sources, that the culture has improved.

Unfortunately, this appears to be pervasive throughout law enforcement at the state and local levels as well. Where we go from here is anybody's guess.

Site Supporter
    Working in Maryland, I'm well-aware that many reorganizations look logical to politicians who view them from 30,000 feet up, but don't work that well down in the weeds.

Twenty years later, has there been any value to the arranged marriage of Customs and INS special agents? It does seem that HSI wants to rebrand itself as distinct from ERO.How about the sort-of-marriage of uniformed Customs, Border Patrol, and their air/marine assets?

Quote Originally Posted by jnc36rcpd View Post
    Working in Maryland, I'm well-aware that many reorganizations look logical to politicians who view them from 30,000 feet up, but don't work that well down in the weeds.

Twenty years later, has there been any value to the arranged marriage of Customs and INS special agents? It does seem that HSI wants to rebrand itself as distinct from ERO.How about the sort-of-marriage of uniformed Customs, Border Patrol, and their air/marine assets?
    Others can speak to how things are now as I'm too far removed from the action.

Back in legacy Customs, things were easily synchronized between our air and marine units and the office of investigations. And the ops at the airport and seaport run by the inspectors were also easily integrated. I never had a problem getting anyone on the horn for any of our ops and I had an opportunity to work with all these assets on a regular basis. I can't think of a time where we ran into a snafu for lack of being able to arrange coverage.

Border Patrol was only called upon from time to time for us to turn over an illegal if we weren't prosecuting for something else...money laundering, narcotics, arms smuggling or ties to terrorism.

Once you realize that work is trading your time for their money, you get over the whole job satisfaction thing. Do the best work you can and drive on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    Where we go from here is anybody's guess.
    No need to guess. Gravity seems to be the only law anybody respects anymore.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Oldherkpilot View Post
    No need to guess. Gravity seems to be the only law anybody respects anymore.
    Also entropy (everything eventually falls apart).
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

User Tag List