Thread: A quick question about a older 870 express..

A quick question about a older 870 express..

I have a older 870 express magnum ( made in 1995) that I’ve converted to a defense/ tactical shotgun, magpul stock set, traded the slug barrel it came with for a 18” factory barrel. I thought I’d probably need to replace the extractor, as I figured it was probably MIM, but when I took it out and looked, it appears to be a machined one, no, casting seams, evident, nor any typical mim markings, removing the trigger guard and looking at that assembly, all of the important parts in there also appear to be machined, no evidence of mim, if it matters the trigger guard on this example is metal.. So, did I get lucky in 1995 when I bought this, and I don’t really need to do a lot to this? When did Remington start using MIM extractors?

Generally, don't worry about whether a part/item is MIM or not.
    If it bothers you, by all means, go ahead and change it.
    This isn't to say a non-MIM part won't even break.
    This is generally-speaking and not limited to 870 extractors.

Just my opinion.

Here's a non-MIM extractor (aftermarket) available, although I've no experience with this product or brand (Volquartsen):
    https://www.midwestgunworks.com/page/mgwi/prod/vcrem

Actual Remington/Remarms parts seem to be hard-to-get or nonexistent right now (maybe forever), which is frustrating/disappointing.

Quote Originally Posted by L-2 View Post

Actual Remington/Remarms parts seem to be hard-to-get or nonexistent right now (maybe forever), which is frustrating/disappointing.
    Tell me about it. I have an older 20 gauge that was cut down for youth shooting that I want to set up as an hunting/backup defense shotgun to go with my 12ga( which was a hassle to get set up as well), and the complete lack of parts out there is getting beyond frustrating.

Any used or NOS barrels,especially, out there on the secondary market are more expensive than new production guns in some cases.

Just my opinion.

Here's a non-MIM extractor (aftermarket) available, although I've no experience with this product or brand (Volquartsen):

I took it out again today and gave it a good looking over, comparing it to pic of a machined extractor. I’m convinced that it’s a machined extractor. I’m leaving it in. On the whole, I think this is a decent shotgun, with the Magpul stock set, and the 18” barrel, it handles well. It should make a excellent backup to my Beretta 1301..

870 Parts -Flex Tab

Quote Originally Posted by MandoWookie View Post
    Tell me about it. the complete lack of parts out there is getting beyond frustrating.
    I found my FlexTab bolt and carrier at Apex Gun Parts. Colorado Springs.
    I think the Lifter from someplace obvious like Midway or Brownells All purchased post covid.

I need to post pics of my $299 Pawn shop, pre covid purchase, 1979 Wingmaster "Mr. Fuddtac"

Just my opinion.

They are starting to come back.

Site Supporter
    https://gunrepaircenter.com/remingto...ts/870/?page=1

User Tag List