Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ruger ReadyDot

Site Supporter
    I tried a dual-illuminated reflex sight on an AR about 2 decades ago. I could not see a standard 100 yard bullseye at that distance when looking through that sight. I took it off and proceeded to hit the target using iron sights.

I am a fan of many of Trijicon’s other products, but not that one.

Could be good on something like a steel challenge type speed gun (10/22 or MK2/3/4) with the big 15 MOA dot, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    They know their market.
    Indeed they do.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Some years ago there was a battery-less rifle red dot reflex sight. The name escapes me but back then I’d considered buying them for our patrol rifles before I knew about the CompM4.
    You may be thinking about Meprolights. They became very fashionable for a period of time, when supposedly IDF accepted them into their inventory. They were very large, like the old style Eotechs. Also, they came with tritium night-time illumination, which Ruger ReadyLight lacks, at least at present.

SIG install a version of FT Bullseye on P365 SAS, which similarly lacks any adjustment. And Ruger sell guns like LCP, which have milled-in sights. I suppose I could live with that. But not having a night time illumination of the dot is something that I have trouble accepting.

Quote Originally Posted by zaitcev View Post
    You may be thinking about Meprolights. They became very fashionable for a period of time, when supposedly IDF accepted them into their inventory. They were very large, like the old style Eotechs. Also, they came with tritium night-time illumination, which Ruger ReadyLight lacks, at least at present.
    The Mepros are copies of the older Trijicon Reflex sights. They also had a 'Tripower' red dot that was about CompM2 size that had tritium/fiber/battery power, and was apparently terrible with all three.

Fiber optic 'red dot' optics are actually older than powered ones like the Aimpoints IIRC, with the Armson OEG being the original and used in Vietnam.

The dual illum RMRs work ok but they have some flaws for sure; especially shooting from low light into bright light and I have concerns that this might be much worse but all that said watching the TFB tv video on this I can see the logic behind what it's meant for.

For the price that it is it seems very much like a suplement to iron sights and not a outright replacement. Toss it on a gun and get big fat easy to find dot that hits close enough to be usable inside 15 yards for most people.

It's not going to be better than the more expensive optics but it doesn't have to me.

Quote Originally Posted by AdioSS View Post
    Well, this is different. Non-adjustable.
    Fiber illuminated, so it doesn’t work in the dark?
    No battery so it is low enough to co-witness with standard height sights?
    I may not have been the only one to miss this... But by Non-adjustable, they are NOT speaking of dot intensity. This is NOT adjustable for POI.
    Taking a break from social media.

How is that different than just using a fiber optic sight?
    https://ruger-hosted.s3.amazonaws.co...-SellSheet.pdf

From a philosophical standpoint, I like this! PF is obviously not the target market for this. However, in my opinion, it moves the ball forward towards pistol RDS becoming even more mainstream. I'm sure plenty of influencer types will complain about the lack of features but, I think they'd be missing the point. I'm just thankful yet another big manufacturer is trying and doing something. It can only lead to more innovation, more affordable options, for more people.

User Tag List