Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Normal on my GP100?

Is This Normal on my GP100?

I've got 220 rounds through this 4" blued standard Ruger GP100, 50/50 split between .38 Spl and .357 Mag (Hornady Handgun Hunter and Rem 125gr SJSP), and many, many times of dry fire beyond that.

I noticed the pin in the back of the frame for the center of the cylinder (I'm sorry the name escapes me at the moment) is off-center. Is this within spec/normal/acceptable? So far it has functioned fine, but I don't have that many rounds through it. My brother has had legitimate functional issues ejecting spent casings documented in a previous thread of mine, but that is not relevant to this one. I'm posting a couple of pics of the off-centeredness I'm speaking of and I apologize in advance for the poor quality. I hope it still shows what I'm speaking about.
    Any input would be appreciated,
    Thank youName:  D7A5870B-440C-4836-965A-23FB6D009407.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  20.7 KB
    Name:  0F5F9473-74FA-4151-94CA-916F215BBEAE.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  23.1 KB

On a S&W revolver, that’s a bolt. Rugers have it built integrally to the crane latch. Is there much end play in the cylinder? I’ve sent a couple of pistols back to Ruger, and they’re very quick. That’s all I’ve got.

@jetfire
    Last edited by FrankB; 04-11-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    On a S&W revolver, that’s a bolt. Rugers have it built integrally to the crane latch. Is there much end play in the cylinder? I’ve sent a couple of pistols back to Ruger, and they’re very quick. That’s all I’ve got.
    I'm not sure how to gauge if there is excessive end play or not. There is a little bit.

Functionally, I have not had any issues. I just noticed that bolt (if that term can be applied to the Ruger) seems to be a bit off center.

That looks like a lot of space for the bolt to roam around in.

Is the cylinder lockup good & snug when you close it? No side-to-side movement, or stubbornness latching shut?

I'm pretty sure mine is off-center as well, but can't confirm because it is in a different place than I am.

@OlongJohnson has looked closely at GP100s and @Flamingo has a couple he might be able to go look at his and see.

"carbine-infested rural (and suburban) areas"
    I'm not near my GP for the next few days, but I'd not be worried. It's been a couple years since I had my Ruger apart, but as I recall, the only role of that part is to push the spring-loaded pin in the crane/cylinder assembly forward out of the hole to unlatch the cylinder so it can be opened. The lockup is determined by the pin that's part of the crane/cylinder assembly and rides in the hole that the pin in the photo floats in. I deburred mine to eliminate any chance of it being sticky or wearing the hole or the pin, but that's all.
    -----------------------------------------
    Not another dime.

My GP100 357

A bit hard to see but the bolt (?) is slightly off center to the right. Not quite as far over as yours appears to be.

Name:  GP100 357 bolt.jpg
Views: 444
Size:  21.9 KB
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

All 3 of mine are off center. The one that is closest to being centered is the Security Six.

Name:  IMG_1557.jpg
Views: 447
Size:  38.0 KB
    GP100 WC 3"

Name:  IMG_1559.jpg
Views: 455
Size:  57.0 KB
    GP100 4"

Name:  IMG_1558.jpg
Views: 449
Size:  41.9 KB
    Security Six 6"

I don't think it is an issue. Up until I got my 14-2 my 4 inch GP100 was my favorite to shoot. I put close to 3K rounds through it last year.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    From looking at the schematics on Numrich, I think the gizmo is the Crane Latch Spring Plunger. It's retracted in the photos, so it's a little hard for me to see if it fits right. I would be surprised if there's supposed to be much side-to-side slop. But it does look a little funky.

If you don't have a good pistolsmith in your area, my suggestion is to call Ruger's Customer Service and chat with them. They might want you to send the gun in.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by SwampDweller View Post
    I've got 220 rounds through this 4" blued standard Ruger GP100, 50/50 split between .38 Spl and .357 Mag (Hornady Handgun Hunter and Rem 125gr SJSP), and many, many times of dry fire beyond that.

I noticed the pin in the back of the frame for the center of the cylinder (I'm sorry the name escapes me at the moment) is off-center. Is this within spec/normal/acceptable? So far it has functioned fine, but I don't have that many rounds through it. My brother has had legitimate functional issues ejecting spent casings documented in a previous thread of mine, but that is not relevant to this one. I'm posting a couple of pics of the off-centeredness I'm speaking of and I apologize in advance for the poor quality. I hope it still shows what I'm speaking about.
    Any input would be appreciated,
    Thank youName:  D7A5870B-440C-4836-965A-23FB6D009407.jpg
Views: 525
Size:  20.7 KB
    Name:  0F5F9473-74FA-4151-94CA-916F215BBEAE.jpg
Views: 524
Size:  23.1 KB
    I'm away from my GP100s, so I can't look at it right now, but if it's not shaving lead on either side of the forcing cone you should be okay. Ruger builds a lot of tolerance into their guns

User Tag List