Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: US Army Raids Wrong Boston Hotel Room

Smoke Bomb / Ninja Vanish Chance's Avatar

US Army Raids Wrong Boston Hotel Room

From CNN.com:

Members of the FBI and the US Army Special Operations Command who were conducting a training exercise in downtown Boston raided the wrong hotel room and detained the person inside before realizing their mistake, the FBI said in a statement to CNN.

The FBI said its Boston division was helping the military with a training exercise around 10 p.m. Tuesday “to simulate a situation their personnel might encounter in a deployed environment.”

“Based on inaccurate information, they were mistakenly sent to the wrong room and detained an individual, not the intended role player,” the FBI said.

“First and foremost, we’d like to extend our deepest apologies to the individual who was affected by the training exercise,” USASOC Lt. Col. Mike Burns told CNN.

The exercise was meant to “enhance soldiers’ skills to operate in realistic and unfamiliar environments,” Burns said.

No one was injured, the FBI said.
    Definitely one of those, "This is going to take a *long* time to explain..." type of situations.
    "Sapiens dicit: 'Ignoscere divinum est, sed noli pretium plenum pro pizza sero allata solvere.'" - Michelangelo

Glock Collective Assimile Suvorov's Avatar
    Escapee from the SF Bay Area now living on the Front Range of Colorado.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chance View Post
    From CNN.com:

Definitely one of those, "This is going to take a *long* time to explain..." type of situations.
    The "detained" person was a Delta Air Lines pilot on rest. No doubt ended with flights being delayed or cancelled. I just hope that the poor guy was in a "decent" condition when the door came down.

Delta just can’t catch a break.

“Thanks to a paper-pushing junior SA and a hungover SNCO who can’t remember floor numbers we’ll be canceling your Easter trip.”
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

When you don't know the "safe word".......
    "And for a regular dude I’m maybe okay...but what I learned is if there’s a door, I’m going out it not in it"-Duke
    "Just because a girl sleeps with her brother doesn't mean she's easy..."-Blues

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Somebody needs to tell the disbursing officer to warm up the office checkbook.

If the Deltoid had been a Federal Flight Deck Officer, that might have ended very badly.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

General no one was more surprised than me etc
    Just a dog chauffeur that used to hold the dumb end of the leash.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    Somebody needs to tell the disbursing officer to warm up the office checkbook.
    Sometimes we’d say just write the check and add some zeros. Some agencies have the Lieutenant in charge of the shift authorized to cut a check on the spot up to $5,000 IIRC along with a signature on a liability waiver form. Accidental dog bite sorry here’s a check I just need you to sign this form. It saves a lot of money sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotesfan97 View Post
    Sometimes we’d say just write the check and add some zeros. Some agencies have the Lieutenant in charge of the shift authorized to cut a check on the spot up to $5,000 IIRC along with a signature on a liability waiver form. Accidental dog bite sorry here’s a check I just need you to sign this form. It saves a lot of money sometimes.
    ahem *clears throat* which agencies?

Staccatos are expensive, just sayin'.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

LASD for sure. The K9 trainer I knew from there told us about it. There other agencies in Southern California that do. I don’t know of any AZ agencies that do it. The Lieutenants we mentioned it too thought it was a good idea.

ETA I’d take 5K for some punctures. LOL

I saw this a couple of days ago. The mind boggles.

You would think the protocol would involve something like an inverse safe word, i.e. after you barge into the room, the role-player would say 'kumquat green' or something, and if he didn't you'd realize something was really, really wrong. I don't see that a safety check like that would overly impact the realism.

Someone needs a new career.

I'm not sure how quiet the 45 minutes in the shower was, but if it was audible outside the room there is a potential for things going really south. All things considered, I wonder if the additional realism of doing this in an actual hotel is worth the risk of things going wrong.

User Tag List