Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: New Ruger Lightweight 5” 1911

Okay I went to the storefront of the same company as the GunPrime guys at lunch today. I did not get the chance to live fire it of course, but from handling it and dryfire, this appears to be very well done by Ruger. I did manage to make myself walk out without one. Waiting on the reports of those who bought one.

All heck, I might have to get one as well!
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

It looks like mine is preparing to ship, so hopefully in a week or a little longer I’ll have mine.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Wow. A lot of very cool features, and what a price!

Dear Ruger,

Please make a 1911 based on the Caspian wide body frame.

Thanks.

Mine is in hand.

I’m impressed so far - fit is tight, trigger is decent. I’ll need to swap out for thin grips and bushings, and the plastic mainspring housing is a little ouchy but overall it looks like a winner. Hopefully I can get to the range in the next week or so.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Mine is in hand.

I’m impressed so far - fit is tight, trigger is decent. I’ll need to swap out for thin grips and bushings, and the plastic mainspring housing is a little ouchy but overall it looks like a winner. Hopefully I can get to the range in the next week or so.
    Keep us posted! I have one on the way...

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

The trigger is bouncing around 4 to 5# - I suspect it will settle down after I get a few hundred rounds through it. That mainspring housing definitely needs to go, though - it has a sharp edge of molded checkering that is annoying, so a replacement is on order. I violated my “shoot it first” rule and put in a Wilson full length rod and 17# flat wire spring, but I’ll keep the original parts with me as I test in case it goes pear shaped.

Grips, bushings and a couple of Ed Brown 7 rounders ordered, and I’m treating myself to my first Sparks Summer Special 2 in a few decades. After I test it, I’ll swap out the rear sight for a Wilson 860 and determine what height front I need. Beyond that I don’t see doing much, no magwell or anything like that. Trying to stay fairly minimalist.

Name:  IMG_9471.jpg
Views: 409
Size:  104.6 KB
    Ken

I got the call yesterday: my SR is finally out of state jail, so maybe tomorrow or Friday I can pick it up and swing by the range with the mags I have already loaded up for the occasion.

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

This is really petty, but I wish that they had used the same dark grey finish on the frame that they did on my LW Officers. That’s a traditional Ruger color.
    Ken

User Tag List