Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Ever feel yourself pulled into wanting something you should avoid?

Quote Originally Posted by Evil_Ed View Post
    The only "gotcha" I'm aware of with Ruger 1911s is the front sight likes (liked?) to break off - there was enough of a gap between the blade and the top of the slide where the blade could literally break itself off from too much movement fore and aft/up and down.

I don't know if Ruger's fixed it between materials and/or redesign of the front sight. I haven't heard of anything recent about it, so it might be a non-issue these days...
    I’m not a three dot fan, so after testing I swapped out the sights on my Ruger Officers to a Wilson adjustable rear and Dawson fiber optic front.

https://shopwilsoncombat.com/REAR-SI...oductinfo/860/
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    My experience with an early Kimber was good...as a lesson in gunsmithing. Really, a few parts changes and it was great. A buddy was not so lucky with a later model.

However, I think the problem is the cartridge. A look at 10mm vs .45 +P on Hodgdon's reloading site shows no significant difference with 200gr bullets, yet people buy into the 10mm mystique. Get a .45, a heavier recoil spring, and call @Lost River to see what he can whip up for you in .45 Auto. Better yet, just do the @GJM USP.
    There is a lot to this.

The majority of the people are stuck in conventional thinking when it comes to the .45. It really never was developed to its true commercial potential. The fact is that heavy, wide flat nose bullets moving beyond the traditional sedate speeds really turn the .45 ACP into a whole new animal.

I was carrying my Baer today along with some 250 WFNs. Sadly no elephants or buffalo needed dispatched. I did see a few hippos, but that happens pretty often these days, as the American hippo is a common species across our land, and the closer you get to a Walmart, the more you are likely to spot them in large numbers. Along with other Walmartians.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Ever feel yourself pulled into wanting something you should avoid?
    On a regular basis.

I love the look and feel of a Single Action Army but I can't see or use the sights worth a damn. I've sold every USFA/Vaquero/Bearcat/Great Western Arms/Pietta/Uberti I've ever owned because of that. Yet here I am scrolling through Guns International and contemplating another Great Western Arms. Fortunately it doesn't have the beautiful CCH of the last one I had so I'll probably be able to resist. Probably.

I love the look of 1911s set up for Bullseye and other competitions. I don't compete, yet here I am scrolling through Guns International (again!) looking for either a base gun to convert as a tribute or someone's old competition rig for short money.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

With Kimber it comes down to quality control or lack of it, I’ve owned several over the years. Like others have said most of them needed some tuning to run right. I’ve had to adjust the extractor tension on one and finish ream the chamber on two, those were all series one guns. Surprisingly one of the best guns I have ever owned was/is a series two CDP pro I bought new back in very early 2001. I’ve owned that gun for 22 years now, put untold thousands of rounds through it. Use to carry it a lot off duty, not so much anymore. That old finish they used back then may not be as pretty as their newer finishes but man does it last, gun still looks pretty good. The only things I have ever done to the gun, is replace the sights when the tritium died and put a EB MSH in it(tossed the stock plastic one).

Whenever I go on PF.

Instead on focusing on my pistolcraft I’m distracted by shiny hardware instead. I’m currently on another 1911 kick after selling them off during covid. I’m too cheap and too small to edc a 2011 so I’m having fun with the good old single stacks. No regrets though! Except for the selling part.

It is weird, maybe getting old, but I have changed. For almost fifty years I swear I had a yearn to buy every cool pistol or revolver in any caliber it was chambered in. I had some kinda epiphany a while ago, for years I thought it was stupid to have things that were (or close to) identical, but suddenly realized I now want more of the same thing. And whatever I have, I want to be in the process of wearing it out.

I am most weakest on pistols and revolvers. I want things like a 6" stainless GP-100 with an optic, don't know why. But I also have been able to set boundaries for myself. One example is lever guns. I have decided that no matter how cool they are, I just do not need (in my situation) to jump on to another slippery slope. But I might like to have several more autoloading shotguns that I don't need either...

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    One example is lever guns.
    I might add that the AR-10 is another one I am stiving to avoid, but it is hard boss, really hard...

@mmc45414

We are joined at the hip thought-wise. For the first time in my life, there isn't a long gun or handgun on the gotta have radar. The latest temptation was the discussion (thanks HeavyDuty) on the lightweight Ruger 1911 full-size pistol. Don't need one, don't want one until I had this yes I do/no I don't debate in my head. So far, I have resisted. I know that fire could pop up again.

Rationalization is my biggest stumbling block. I can convince myself why I need a particular firearm. And yes, I did purchase a Ruger GP100 4" stainless revolver a few months back. Actually I did not have a stainless double-action .357 revolver so that's all the reason I needed to buy one.

Resistance is a second by second battle when I find myself contemplating a new firearm purchase that I really don't need. It is all about the wants!!

Quote Originally Posted by JAH 3rd View Post
    For the first time in my life, there isn't a long gun or handgun on the gotta have radar.
    Well, I don't wanna misrepresent myself....

Right now there are probably three things that I do feel an actual need, or at least a desire for:
    - 22/45: I have one with sights, want a second one for an optic
    - Another M&P 9mm: I have three 5" (one with an optic), and a Compact and a Subcompact, I want to get a 4.25 gun for a PMM comp (and an optic)
    - Shield Plus: In a recent purge in my quest to get an RL1100 I sold my Shield, and am starting to miss it, and want to replace it with a Shield Plus, this is probably the next thing I will actually buy, and good that I already have a spare set of sights for it

Quote Originally Posted by mmc45414 View Post
    Well, I don't wanna misrepresent myself....

Right now there are probably three things that I do feel an actual need, or at least a desire for:
    - 22/45: I have one with sights, want a second one for an optic
    - Another M&P 9mm: I have three 5" (one with an optic), and a Compact and a Subcompact, I want to get a 4.25 gun for a PMM comp (and an optic)
    - Shield Plus: In a recent purge in my quest to get an RL1100 I sold my Shield, and am starting to miss it, and want to replace it with a Shield Plus, this is probably the next thing I will actually buy, and good that I already have a spare set of sights for it
    I bought a Shield Plus about a year ago. Really like this pistol. The grip texture really helps anchor this pistol in my hand. Good choices for your other acquisitions. I have a Ruger MKII target pistol. I don't know how the lawyers let that pistol leave the building with such a light trigger pull. I'm an M&P fan too. Mine are 45acp. The 2.0 stock trigger is such an improvement over the 1.0.

User Tag List