Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumb Question - Does "Top Heavy" Matter at all?

Dumb Question - Does "Top Heavy" Matter at all?

Hey, all.

I'm getting back into shooting and looking to buy an actual modern semi-auto. Following the advice of this forum, I'm looking at the standard suspects (M&P 9c, Glock 19), but the discussions here have made me really curious about the PX4 as well. I really like the idea of the DA/SA trigger (I have avoided one ND in the past only because of the incredibly long DA pull on my revolver).

When I went to the local gun store, the guy there said that he personally really didn't like the PX4 because it felt very "top heavy." I could feel what he meant just holding the gun in the store, but I've also learned here that how something feels in the gun store means jack for how effectively you can shoot it.

So is "Top heaviness" even a thing? Does it have any effect on recoil impulse/controllability, or how well the gun sits in a holster? Or does it only really affect that vague "feels good in the hand" at the gun store counter?

I can't really answer your Q technically. I do know that I am very happy w/ my PX4 compact. See what guys here say and then try to find a rental PX4 to try.

Frustratingly, none of the ranges around here seem to rent them. :-/

Yeah, mostly just curious for my understanding than for feedback on the specific gun, but I appreciate for the recommendation anyway. :-)
    Last edited by ford.304; 04-07-2023 at 08:30 AM.

I jumped in to the PX4 with a CC and a full sized .45. They feel balanced to me, especially loaded.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I think pretty much all modern plastic framed pistols are top heavy. Don't think it matters much.
    Jesus paid a debt he did not owe,
    Because I owed a debt I could not pay.

I think this is just personal preference and is going to vary from person to person. Hand size, grip strength, habits, ...

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

How does the pistol feel in your hand. I didn't like the balance of the P229 (issued to me) but the P226 fit me like a glove. Less about top heavy and more about balance. I owned a PX4 and liked it. The only problem I had with the PX4 was the slick grips but you can add talon grips.

I owned two PX4 CC pistols. I never felt they were top heavy, but the grip is certainly different than Glocks and M&P pistols. My carry pistols are now revolvers, Glocks with a striker control device, Sig P365 with a manual safety, and a very comfortable CZ 75 Compact. The PX4’s are long gone.

Grip surface texture plays a role

For me, I like a grip size that accommodates all my fingers. This can be accomplished by the pistol itself or using a magazine with an extended floorplate. This is just my personal preference.

Don't forget to factor in the grip texture. I have an M&P 45 1.0 and 2.0. The grip texture on the 2.0 is much rougher than the 1.0. The grip size is the same between the two generations, but it's the texture of the 2.0 that makes a positive difference in holding the pistol firmly. Same can be said for my Glock 21 gen 3 and gen 4. The grip texture on the gen 4 is much more grippy than the slick-feeling gen 3 grip.

I do like the Beretta PX4 compact 9mm. I suppose this is in part that I am a 92 fan.

Loaded question

Since the PX4 Storm is designed to be carried and shot when loaded, the perception of top heaviness when unloaded in a gun shop is not the same as it would be when you use it.

Once a magazine full of those heavy cartridges is put into the magazine well the balance is spot on. Pistols that don't seem a little top heavy when they are unloaded are going to be very bottom heavy once they are loaded. If there isn't a little perception of top heaviness the sights do not hold as stable and can be more twitchy. A little nose weight is good for sight steadiness.

User Tag List