Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: RFI: Water Softeners

I'd pay attention to salt consumption aspect.

We use a lot of water, but mine sucks up about 20 bags a year, which is about $200 plus the hassle of dragging them around. The discussion of 4 bags a year is making me think...

It depends on how handy you are. I actually recently went through this and instead of the 5k quoted, I bought my own water softener for 750 and installed it myself. RO system best bet is under sink in the kitchen and that was 350.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    I have one more guy coming out to quote, this one through Lowes.
    Be careful with Lowes. They use an associate for installations. They'll try to arrange the install with them. You get handed off to Handy which appears to be a nationwide contracting service. I purchased a ceiling fan from them recently and paid for the installation. The installation never happened. They kept wanting to do it at 7-8 pm which seemed odd to me. I requested normal working hours and they told me they couldn't locate anyone in my area. Probably using moonlighters is the only thing I can come up with.

Returning it all for a full refund.

https://www.reviewopedia.com/handy-com-reviews
    Last edited by Borderland; 04-08-2023 at 10:01 AM.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Borderland View Post
    Be careful with Lowes. They use an associate for installations. They'll try to arrange the install with them. You get handed off to Handy which appears to be a nationwide contracting service. I purchased a ceiling fan from them recently and paid for the installation. The installation never happened. They kept wanting to do it at 7-8 pm which seemed odd to me. I requested normal working hours and they told me they couldn't locate anyone in my area. Probably using moonlighters is the only thing I can come up with.

Returning it all for a full refund.

https://www.reviewopedia.com/handy-com-reviews
    Lowes always uses affiliates, in this case they are using a highly regarded regional company. I’ll give them a chance.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by bofe954 View Post
    I'd pay attention to salt consumption aspect.

We use a lot of water, but mine sucks up about 20 bags a year, which is about $200 plus the hassle of dragging them around. The discussion of 4 bags a year is making me think...
    It’s a big factor for me, too.

Quote Originally Posted by PearTree View Post
    It depends on how handy you are. I actually recently went through this and instead of the 5k quoted, I bought my own water softener for 750 and installed it myself. RO system best bet is under sink in the kitchen and that was 350.
    I would do it if the €¥{!§¥ homebuilder had included a loop.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Lowes always uses affiliates, in this case they are using a highly regarded regional company. I’ll give them a chance.
    Good luck.
    In the P-F basket of deplorables.

As it turns out, I like the Lowes affiliate the best - and they also have the best price. I’m pretty sure I’ll go with them, they have stellar ratings on multiple sites.
    Ken

Contract let, installation scheduled for Monday.
    Ken

Im looking at a company called Springwell I sent them the yearly water report from my water provider and this is the system they recommended. As far as I can tell none design/build their own controllers.
    https://www.springwellwater.com/prod...salt-softener/
    Im also considering the RO under sink to supply a seperate cold water faucet at the sink and the fridge, primarily to remove the salt in the water from the softener system.
    Anyone have any insights into going this route vs a local provider?
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

Since I dont know what I dont know Im kinda going deep into some research on water filters and water softening.
    Im going to share the articles/links here as I find them

First off it seems at least you need to get your water providers yearly water report and possibly have your water tested by a State Accredited Laboratory.
    Second if your equipment/filters are not NSF approved then whatever the sales team is telling you is worthless. Equipment approval does not equal system approval.

https://legionellae.org/water-soften...aires-disease/

https://www.phcppros.com/articles/12...bing-pathogens

https://www.nsf.org/consumer-resourc...atment-systems
    Last edited by UNK; 06-09-2023 at 12:39 PM.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

User Tag List