Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ruger new vaquero .357 4 5/8 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Glockman9mm View Post
    Were you running the original or new model vaquero’s? .
    I have owned both, I liked the newer version in .357 for the smaller dimensions and lighter weight, but I found no difference in quality, accuracy, or how the sights were regulated between Vaquero and New Vaquero models.

I started CAS shooting two handed but within a year or two switched to "duelist" which is one hand only on the gun. I ditched SASS and only shot NCOWS the last 6 years I was in it. NCOWS is a smaller group, but the rules and structure of matches was more interesting to me. Everybody in that branch of the sport shot only duelist, and while two handed was legal, they were quick to tell you that the only people in the old west who shot a SAA with two hands were women or children.

I don't have enough cowboy guns. I really need a brace of these and an 1873 rifle.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

What’s the difference between the new & older Vaquero?

Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    The New Vaquero is pretty close to the size of the original Colt SAA while the older models were larger and could handle .44 magnum and "Ruger Only" .45 Colt +p loads. The same difference as a standard Blackhawk vs a flat top.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Because buying cool, interesting guns I don't need isn't a decision... it's a lifestyle...

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jtcarm View Post
    The New V has a smaller frame with a corresponding smaller cylinder. The result is a lighter and somewhat handier revolver. Since both have steel frames, difference in weight is significant. The 357 Mag New V will easily handle magnum level pressure because cylinder has sufficiently thick chambers. However, Ruger warns that the 45 Colt V cylinder has chambers that are too thin to safely handle "hot loads" and advises keeping reloads within standard 45 Colt pressure(or not too far above). The parentheses' content is imprecise.

I have a 4 5/8” and two 5 1/2” New Vaqueros. Love em. The most easy/natural handguns I’ve ever shot. I keep one beside the bed for years.

I put Super Blackhawk hammers on em for easier one hand use.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    I had the bulkier original vaquero from 2000 that I sold for more than I paid. Never could shoot that one very well. It was the polished stainless version and all the glare from that did not help.
    I had one too... a neat gun, pleasant to handle, and recoil was tolerable; it had Lett's "ivory" micarta grips that partially de-laminated right around the time Lett's was going to close. The sights were a problem for me even then, and it got traded away.

That revolver was the one that convinced me that if the front sight couldn't be replaced and the rear sight wasn't at least reasonably drift-able, I had best leave it alone.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

I’ve got one of the stainless vaqueros in.45acp, it’s a blast! While I’d love to have a Smith, or Colt in .45, this filled the bill, and it’s affordable..

I think I’m doing something wrong when I shoot it 2 handed as it goes a bit left. Dead center one handed.

Were you running the original or new model vaquero’s? This new one seems to shoot a lot tighter and has a very tight barrel/cylinder gap. And shoots close to point of aim with all 3 factory loads I’ve tried so far.
    Likely finger placement in the trigger. Typically it’s using your finger pad to pull the trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

User Tag List