Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bore .25ACP 60gr Hardcast Gel Test

For some reason, I'm intrigued.

I hope it's just the whiskey...
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Unfortunately, terminal performance data obtained in Clear Gelatin is untrustworthy and should be ignored. Test results vary unpredictably from block to block.

A paper (Ballistic Gelatin Comparisons) published on the Hornady Law Enforcement website reports:

Given that these blocks failed FBI standards for calibration each time, it’s unsurprising that the
    bullets we fired into them penetrated more deeply than they did in 10% calibrated gelatin.
    However, the amount of that extra penetration was a little surprising. We were not prepared for
    bullets to penetrate an average of more than 6” deeper into the clear synthetic gelatin
    than the
    organic gelatin, in the heavy clothing test, for example.

Conclusions:

The clear synthetic gelatin currently does not appear to be a suitable substitute for
    FBI-standard, 10% calibrated organic gelatin if the bullets will be measured and
    evaluated according to FBI performance standards.
    Because the bullets we tested
    behaved so differently in the clear synthetic gelatin versus the 10% calibrated organic
    gelatin, it’s not appropriate to use the FBI standards ‒ which were designed to be applied
    to 10% calibrated organic gelatin – to measure bullet performance in the clear synthetic
    product...

...There is no apparent “conversion” between data derived from 10% organic gelatin
    and the current version of the clear synthetic.
    Unfortunately, our limited test doesn’t
    indicate a conversion “shortcut” is likely. It would be convenient if we could develop a
    conversion factor that would equate the organic gelatin and clear synthetic gelatin, but
    our data indicate that bullet performance is too variable in these mediums to develop a
    universal “rule of thumb.”

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dodson View Post
    Unfortunately, terminal performance data obtained in Clear Gelatin is untrustworthy and should be ignored. Test results vary unpredictably from block to block.

A paper (Ballistic Gelatin Comparisons) published on the Hornady Law Enforcement website reports:

Given that these blocks failed FBI standards for calibration each time, it’s unsurprising that the
    bullets we fired into them penetrated more deeply than they did in 10% calibrated gelatin.
    However, the amount of that extra penetration was a little surprising. We were not prepared for
    bullets to penetrate an average of more than 6” deeper into the clear synthetic gelatin
    than the
    organic gelatin, in the heavy clothing test, for example.

Conclusions:

The clear synthetic gelatin currently does not appear to be a suitable substitute for
    FBI-standard, 10% calibrated organic gelatin if the bullets will be measured and
    evaluated according to FBI performance standards.
    Because the bullets we tested
    behaved so differently in the clear synthetic gelatin versus the 10% calibrated organic
    gelatin, it’s not appropriate to use the FBI standards ‒ which were designed to be applied
    to 10% calibrated organic gelatin – to measure bullet performance in the clear synthetic
    product...

...There is no apparent “conversion” between data derived from 10% organic gelatin
    and the current version of the clear synthetic.
    Unfortunately, our limited test doesn’t
    indicate a conversion “shortcut” is likely. It would be convenient if we could develop a
    conversion factor that would equate the organic gelatin and clear synthetic gelatin, but
    our data indicate that bullet performance is too variable in these mediums to develop a
    universal “rule of thumb.”
    Mike Wood did such a great job with that series, proving that theory and practice were in agreement.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    A modernized DAO Velo Dog revolver with folding trigger would probably be surprisingly popular. Stretch the cylinder & case to .22mag length, and you might have something.

I recall reading of someone that made a 25 cal centerfire pistol round for small game hunting using a single action Ruger and the 22 hornet case blown out straight and trimmed somewhat. I dont recall the performance details but I believe it was in the useful and practical category as compared to 25 auto ballistics performance. A similar round on a J or K frame Smith might be fun.

Edit: This http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell25Hornet.htm
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    I recall reading of someone that made a 25 cal centerfire pistol round for small game hunting using a single action Ruger and the 22 hornet case blown out straight and trimmed somewhat. I dont recall the performance details but I believe it was in the useful and practical category as compared to 25 auto ballistics performance. A similar round on a J or K frame Smith might be fun.

Edit: This http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell25Hornet.htm
    Or the .257 Jack Rabbit, a shortened 25/20: https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/57f...=1612644498820
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

Site Supporter
    Why oh why are we treading the path that has failed miserably for years?
    Regional Government Sales Manager for Aimpoint, Inc. USA
    Co-owner Hardwired Tactical Shooting (HiTS)

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Why oh why are we treading the path that has failed miserably for years?
    The power of advertising.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I guess I now know how the .45 only guys feel about 9mm. One I can’t imagine that Buffalo Bore will sell enough to justify the research. Anyone buying a Jennings in 25 is probably not going to buy a $50 box of bullets. At this point in my life I can’t imagine anything that would convince me to carry a 25 considering how anemic it’s been up until now. I think I would take my chance with a 22 or a 32 and may even just rely on POM.

My wife went to some kind of gala event in Philadelphia back in 2016(???). She was carrying a hand clutch, and the only pistol that fit in there are my Beretta 950 Jetfire. She sat with the mayor, and some of the conversation was about gun “control”. 🤣💥

Quote Originally Posted by FrankB View Post
    My wife went to some kind of gala event in Philadelphia back in 2016(???). She was carrying a hand clutch, and the only pistol that fit in there are my Beretta 950 Jetfire. She sat with the mayor, and some of the conversation was about gun “control”. 🤣💥
    I'm sure the sellswords that surround him would have protected him(with their guns) from that pistol had its thirst for innocent souls awakened.

User Tag List