Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Buffalo Bore .25ACP 60gr Hardcast Gel Test

Buffalo Bore .25ACP 60gr Hardcast Gel Test

Awhile back there was a .25acp thread, where the topic of a hotter .25ACP load came up.

Well Buffalo Bore has delivered on that, and the results (for such a tiny cartridge) are impressive. 14-21" in clear gel, most averaging 16-17".

Thats ~50% more penetration then Lucky Gunner got with a regular .25 ACP:

And quite a bit better then one brand of 'hot' .22lr from a J-frame:

Of course all are done with Clear Gel - so imperfect testing.

But still, that .25+p hardcast was much better than .25 acp or .22lr normally does from a pocket pistol.

To me it shows the potential for a modern ".251 Auto," a stretched rimless .25 the length of a .380, designed for high cap low recoil pocket pistols for the recoil sensitive.

Or at a minimum, makes me want a .25 ACP NAA Pug or .25 ACP LCP...

KTW .25 ACP

Back when KTW was a thing for armor piercing bullets , they made a ,25 acp load.

Never got any but it seemed a good idea for penetration in an anemic caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post
    But still, that .25+p hardcast was much better than .25 acp or .22lr normally does from a pocket pistol.
    To me it shows the potential for a modern ".251 Auto," a stretched rimless .25 the length of a .380, designed for high cap low recoil pocket pistols for the recoil sensitive.
    Or at a minimum, makes me want a .25 ACP NAA Pug or .25 ACP LCP...
    A modernized DAO Velo Dog revolver with folding trigger would probably be surprisingly popular. Stretch the cylinder & case to .22mag length, and you might have something.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    .25 Super Carry?
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    .25 Super Carry?
    I bet a 10-shot FN Baby Browning MAX in .25 Super Carry would sell like gluten-free hotcakes

The typical .25 ACP load (a 50 grain FMJ @ ≈720 fps) is about as miserable a choice (anemic and uninspiring) for self-defense as I could imagine.

If forced to rely on one for 'reasons', I s'pose that anything that could be done to improve it in such a role would be welcome. A 60-grain bullet at 850 fps (if it can do that from a 2.10+ inch barrel) from a miniscule gun like a Baby Browning is likely to be somewhat unpleasant to fire, but it certainly beats a set of keys and harsh language.

If the bullet's flat nose does its job and promotes straight line penetration, it ought to provide 24 - 26 inches of penetration in 10% gelatin.
    Last edited by the Schwartz; 04-06-2023 at 09:12 PM.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

Hmmm... I have a Duo somewhere...

http://instagram.com/p/Bou_6whHh5F/

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    .25 Super Carry?
    Yes, but with an actual needed application.

30SC made the mistake of being a 9mm competitor. 9mm so standardized right now, that was an insane hill to die on for federal. It's hard to think of an adequate metaphor; perhaps like Energizer trying to make an AA battery competitor?

However for pocket pistols and low recoil shooter needs, there definitely is a need and I think a market openness for something better.

".251 Auto" would hopefully drive a 50gr @ 1100fps+ from a LCP, offering good penetration while keeping recoil mild, and because it's a narrow rimless cartridge an LCP could have a doublestack mag holding 16 or more rounds.

I certainly want one.

Quote Originally Posted by the Schwartz View Post
    If the bullet's flat nose does its job and promotes straight line penetration, it ought to provide 24 - 26 inches of penetration in 10% gelatin.
    Unfortunately in the clear gel test it looked like nearly every bullet tumbled at some point, which limited penetration. Only one round made it to 21".

Unfortunately in the clear gel test it looked like nearly every bullet tumbled at some point, which limited penetration. Only one round made it to 21".
    Smaller calibers often require a proportionally larger (with respect to nominal diameter) meplat to achieve the stability to remain in nose-forward attitude. Nature of the beast.

There's Precision Small Arms Baby Browning clone on my (arguably irrational) 'want' list, but at well over a grand per copy, I don't see that happening anytime soon. Just the same, I'm just glad that it isn't a 'need'.
    ''Politics is for the present, but an equation is for eternity.'' ―Albert Einstein

Full disclosure per the Pistol-Forum CoC: I am the author of Quantitative Ammunition Selection.

User Tag List