Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole House Generator (Propane)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuefelhunden View Post
    I'm in the same boat as Blues. Wife wants one and I see the logic but dang sticker shock for essentially an insurance policy. Keeping the well pump running is our biggest concern. Last outage I used my Honda 2200i to keep the freezer topped off and moved the fridge contents into our RV fridge running on propane.
    Generac is on the cheaper end of gensets but the no fuss no muss concept is attractive. Sounds like much of it comes down to the quality of the service provided from the install company. I'm leaning the big Honda with a transfer switch route due to quality and lower entry cost. Has anyone gone this route and left it outside in place hooked up but well covered? Dragging 450 pounds around in an emergency doesn't sound appealing.
    My situation too. In the summer the outages are short but in the winter the last two were ten days and 9 days and they were over 10 years apart.
    I'll wager you a PF dollar™ 😎
    The lunatics are running the asylum

RANDOM SIDE COMMENT:
    I have a couple of Portable generators. A Honda 2200i, and Westinghouse 2200 and 4500....

I bought the two smaller ones so I could have one for my house and one to drive over to my elderly parents house. I am not dragging out any of the stuff unless power is out for more than 6-8 hours. In Houston, that means post hurricane, where it is typically out 3-7 days. Worst was 14 days after hurricane Rita. It is a pain to drag around extension cords and run them into the house. I need to get off my ass and have a transfer switch installed.

They wont run the whole house, but the run a house fridge, garage freezer, and some lamps/fans/TV/laptop just fine. I wanted to run a small AC, so I bought the 4500 to have that option. And the 4500 will run off Propane too as an option.

I wish I had the whole house set up, but we only have to drag out the generators for over 24 hours ever 4-6 years (about the average between big hurricane hits). I just cant justify the cost on this house. When I get to the house I will retire in, I think I will take the plunge.

I just added nothing to the OP, and provided no new info. Just some random info spilling onto the screen... but I have enjoyed learning from the others in the thread.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

I spoke to a local dealer on the phone this morning who is certified for Kohler, Generac and Cummins. Recommended the Kohler hands down for reliability and longevity.

Having him come out Monday to give me an estimate. (I already know it's a bit higher than Generac, but I'm more than willing to pay some extra for better build and reliability.)

We shall see.

I also see that Kohler is offering a free 10 year warranty if purchased through early or mid-May...(installation by August).

It's a chunk of change...but around here it will be put into service.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

I'm in the same boat as Blues. Wife wants one and I see the logic but dang sticker shock for essentially an insurance policy. Keeping the well pump running is our biggest concern. Last outage I used my Honda 2200i to keep the freezer topped off and moved the fridge contents into our RV fridge running on propane.
    Generac is on the cheaper end of gensets but the no fuss no muss concept is attractive. Sounds like much of it comes down to the quality of the service provided from the install company. I'm leaning the big Honda with a transfer switch route due to quality and lower entry cost. Has anyone gone this route and left it outside in place hooked up but well covered? Dragging 450 pounds around in an emergency doesn't sound appealing.
    Same boat here including the well pump. A bit different in that our big problem however is typically tropical systems in the late summer, early fall.

And to make things more complicated for some reason the person who built the house put the well pump on a completely different meter box than the house.

It all comes down to what you are powering. Due to humidity and the need to avoid mold, I want to be able to run the central HVAC. So I need more power to get the units started. If all you want powered is a well pump and a few appliances, the EU2200i (or the latest version) make sense.

I would not leave a generator exposed to the elements even under a cover as I would expect a storm that caused me to need it to damage it. The bigger generators have wheels and move well over concrete. If you have a small trailer, you can place the generator on the trailer and move it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by UNK View Post
    You dont really need a transfer switch unless local code requires it. Just take a 2 breaker slot turn off the main and backfeed your panel.
    Without the use of a generator interlock kit this is illegal and extremely dangerous.

Connection of a portable generator to a building's electrical system is covered by NEC 702;

702.5 Transfer Equipment

(A) General

Transfer equipment shall be required for all standby systems subject to the requirements of this article and for which an electric utility supply is either the normal or standby source. Transfer switches shall not be permitted to be reconditioned.

Exception: Temporary connection of a portable generator without transfer equipment shall be permitted where conditions of maintenance and supervision ensure that only qualified persons service the installation and where the normal supply is physically isolated by a lockable disconnecting means or by disconnection of the normal supply conductors.

Don't do it!
    Last edited by NH Shooter; 04-05-2023 at 02:19 PM.
    EDC Light Builder | No Nonsense Everyday Carry Flashlights | EDC Light Builder P-F Sub-forum

The joys of wells and septic systems. (Still, I do love the independence.)

I'll let you guys know what I find out.

Based upon my responses to the Kohler online survey, this is what it recommended.
    (I have not discussed models with the dealer / installer at this juncture.)

Name:  Screenshot 2023-04-05 3.22.36 PM.jpg
Views: 190
Size:  38.8 KB
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I spoke to a local dealer on the phone this morning who is certified for Kohler, Generac and Cummins. Recommended the Kohler hands down for reliability and longevity.

Having him come out Monday to give me an estimate. (I already know it's a bit higher than Generac, but I'm more than willing to pay some extra for better build and reliability.)

We shall see.

I also see that Kohler is offering a free 10 year warranty if purchased through early or mid-May...(installation by August).

It's a chunk of change...but around here it will be put into service.
    Be sure to check the supply side. A friends sister had to be on a medical machine at home. He contracted through home depot for the emergency generator installation and then after it was installed it was discovered the natural gas supply volume couldnt support the generator and they had to pull the whole thing out.

I'm thinking that ours was $7500 installed, back in 2013. We had to get a 375 gallon tank as well, as opposed to the two 125s we had.

Wells.... Hell,
    $15,000 drilled and installation 2 years ago.
    130 foot of earth, 333 feet of granite bedrock.
    Went with stainless pipe, heavy duty pump.
    Pricey.
    "... And miles to go before I sleep".

Quote Originally Posted by NH Shooter View Post
    Without the use of a generator interlock kit this is illegal and extremely dangerous.

Connection of a portable generator to a building's electrical system is covered by NEC 702;

Don't do it!
    I was talking about a portable honda generator and yes in the situation I discussed it is completely legal. Locking out the main can occur in several different ways.

User Tag List