Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Whole House Generator (Propane)

Whole House Generator (Propane)

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed elsewhere in the past, but I'd be interested in hearing from those of you who have opted for whole house (propane) generator, Generac or similar, and whether you have been satisfied with the performance, cost, durability, reliability, warranty etc.

We're subject to several power losses annually due to living in the mountains and trees coming down on power lines, near or far.

Considering springing for a whole house, and can afford it, but don't necessarily want to. (I really don't want to buy and be bothered with a portable gasoline powered generator.)

I'd appreciate hearing your pros and cons. Is it worth the expense and the particulars of the installation?

Thanks in advance.
    There's nothing civil about this war.

Site Supporter
    Don’t buy a generac unless you get a service contract for 10 years with reputable company.

Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    Don’t buy a generac unless you get a service contract for 10 years with reputable company.
    They're offering the 10 year for free during a promotion, assuming I have them come out and give me an estimate before it expires.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    They're offering the 10 year for free during a promotion, assuming I have them come out and give me an estimate before it expires.
    That’s trouble. I haven’t seen anything worthwhile from generac that makes them a a reputable whole house company.

I hope more people answer with a better one. But that might be my opinions on the dealers I have delt with when they have operated through my area. If they are an independent I would caution but judge it by the longevity of the independent’s business.

I went with a Cummins 13kw. NG/Propane, set up to run on NG, have a propane manifold setup for a backup if needed but not attached.

Build quality is excellent. Better long term reviews than Generac. Not sure about price versus a comparable Generac. Not sure about service or parts availability versus Generac, but that's not really an issue for me.

Overall happy with my choice, but there's certainly plenty of Generacs running.
    Last edited by MickAK; 04-04-2023 at 05:54 PM.

That’s trouble. I haven’t seen anything worthwhile from generac that makes them a a reputable whole house company.

I hope more people answer with a better one. But that might be my opinions on the dealers I have delt with when they have operated through my area. If they are an independent I would caution but judge it by the longevity of the independent’s business.
    I only happened to see the offer when I checked the dealer website yesterday. (Family owned operation with a good rep here in western NC.)

The gal that was making an appointment for me to have them come out and give me a price called me back a few minutes later and said she'd try to move up the appointment as it was past the deadline for the free 10 year warranty. I didn't ask, but I was aware of it.

We shall see...it's a lot to spend on something so rarely used...that's my biggest issue. (Plus the cost of propane is no joke either. Still, it doesn't break the bank.)

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by blues View Post
    I only happened to see the offer when I checked the dealer website yesterday. (Family owned operation with a good rep here in western NC.)

The gal that was making an appointment for me to have them come out and give me a price called me back a few minutes later and said she'd try to move up the appointment as it was past the deadline for the free 10 year warranty. I didn't ask, but I was aware of it.

We shall see...it's a lot to spend on something so rarely used...that's my biggest issue. (Plus the cost of propane is no joke either. Still, it doesn't break the bank.)
    If it works. And they are reputable and the contact agrees. Without me fixing shit that should have been handled on installation I have no bones. But honestly if I have to fix or call a buddy on one of generacs dealers one more time in my area cause they fucked something up. I’m not going to recommend them if you get my feeling.

Whole house setups are few and far between to deal with the bullshit of contractors. When I can go old school and peer what I need. It’s really a choice.
    Last edited by camel; 04-04-2023 at 06:14 PM.

If it works. And they are reputable and the contact agrees. Without me fixing shit that should have been handled on installation I have no bones. But honestly if I have to fix or call a buddy on one of generacs dealers one more time in my area cause they fucked something up.

That’s why I do not recommend them.
    I appreciate your feedback. That's exactly what I'm looking for. (I don't want to be talked into it...unless warranted.)

Site Supporter
    Blues, how many KW are you needing to power your whole house? I once upon a time had a mostly all-electric house with heat pump with electric emergency heat strips, and my electrician said it'd take a 25-30KW genset to reliably run the house. My range was propane at the time, and that's it. I had 12KW welders that I was interested in using in some way, but the heat strips, heat pump, and air handler alone couldn't be run on 12KW with everything else in the house *off*.

Once I started pricing out running costs of a propane generator that size, I decided it wasn't worth it. That is some VERY expensive electricity.

When I had the house redone, I did away with the old HVAC system and went with 2 dual-fuel type systems which use propane furnaces when the outside temp falls below about 32 degrees. Above that temp, they use the heat pumps for heating. Besides giving me the ability to use my welders to now power the whole house, I also have real heat when it gets cold. That was always the failing of the previous all-electric system.

I also had the propane line to the house sized in a way that I could one day do a whole-house genset if the mood and money were looking that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    Blues, how many KW are you needing to power your whole house? I once upon a time had a mostly all-electric house with heat pump with electric emergency heat strips, and my electrician said it'd take a 25-30KW genset to reliably run the house. My range was propane at the time, and that's it. I had 12KW welders that I was interested in using in some way, but the heat strips, heat pump, and air handler alone couldn't be run on 12KW with everything else in the house *off*.

Once I started pricing out running costs of a propane generator that size, I decided it wasn't worth it. That is some VERY expensive electricity.

When I had the house redone, I did away with the old HVAC system and went with 2 dual-fuel type systems which use propane furnaces when the outside temp falls below about 32 degrees. Above that temp, they use the heat pumps for heating. Besides giving me the ability to use my welders to now power the whole house, I also have real heat when it gets cold. That was always the failing of the previous all-electric system.

I also had the propane line to the house sized in a way that I could one day do a whole-house genset if the mood and money were looking that way.
    I have a dual fuel system. Heat pump for A/C and most cold weather and propane furnace for the bad days. No heat strips in my system.

I'm not as interested in cutting corners here and there to save money as I am in reliability and confidence in the system. Our home consistently beats what Duke energy rates as "efficient homes" by anywhere from 10-25% or more. (And "efficient homes" are well below the electric usage of "average homes".)

I mostly want to do this for my wife, (not that she asked), because those days without power wear on her nerves.

User Tag List