Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smith 19-4 With Rust Issues

Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    He died suddenly over the weekend and I have the revolver back in my possession. The rust and pitting are pretty significant in several spots and I would like to restore it or at least prevent any further damage.
    Is spot bluing something worth pursuing? Am I better off just getting the entire gun refinished? I wouldn't even know who to use anymore.
    I can't recommend Dave Laubert from Defensive Creations (in OH) enough.

I had an old MR73 that was beat up and he did an outstanding job on it.
    The turn around time is several months, but he was communicative during the process.
    Further, he was the only gunsmith I've ever worked with who was actually able to give a realistic quote, manage expectations and do the work in the time he quoted.

My advice: If you really want to do your father justice and pass it on as an heirloom, send it away and "cry once, laugh forever".
    I'm pretty adept at most gun things, but treating rust is where I call in the professional help.

Some before and after of my MR73 that @SouthNarc is trying to copy, even though I've got way more class and taste than him...

http://instagram.com/p/CHBiEOXJUjY/

http://instagram.com/p/CaUy4ZCLnX8/

Thanks Malamute, and everyone else.
    Pepperoni, I can't see your pics.

Quote Originally Posted by iWander View Post
    Thanks Malamute, and everyone else.
    Pepperoni, I can't see your pics.

Ill just say "make haste slowly". Clean it up, see how it looks, check prices on some of the better people in the business, and what the factory charges for a re-blue before making any permanent decisions.

"Good price" and "cheap" are not really words Id want to encourage being part of the decision process if considering a re-blue.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Ill just say "make haste slowly". Clean it up, see how it looks, check prices on some of the better people in the business, and what the factory charges for a re-blue before making any permanent decisions.

"Good price" and "cheap" are not really words Id want to encourage being part of the decision process if considering a re-blue.
    What was it that Chuck Rogers used to say about gunsmiths? Something along the lines of cheap, fast, good, pick any two
    " La rose est sans pourquoi, elle fleurit parce qu’elle fleurit ; Elle n’a souci d’elle-même, ne demande pas si on la voit. » Angelus Silesius
    "There are problems in this universe for which there are no answers." Paul Muad'dib

User Tag List