Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I bought the jankiest gun at Buds: S&W 3914

Site Supporter

I bought the jankiest gun at Buds: S&W 3914

I was in Lexington over the weekend, so I stopped by Buds... with a $100 gift card and a hunger for a cheap hipster gun.

I zeroed in on a scuffed-and-roughed 3914. It didn't necessarily look abused, per se--but it was definitely the most "meh" looking pistol in the entire case. Haggled down to $350, applied my $100... had me a classic DA/SA single-stack 9mm for $250.

Name:  IMG_1787.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  32.1 KBName:  IMG_1786.jpg
Views: 1711
Size:  39.8 KB

Some serial number searching suggests this one was made in 1990--early in the continuum of 3rd gens. It has the narrower tab in the barrel hood and slightly different machining around the ejection port vs. later 3rd gens. Compared to my 1994 6904 (on the left), here.

Name:  IMG_1793.jpg
Views: 1689
Size:  27.0 KB

It also has the thinned-down levers, which my 6904 doesn't--nice feature, in my opinion. Overall, it feels pretty much like my 6904 with a thinner grip. Which is exactly what it is.

But man... sheathed in Hogue rubber, that thin grip feels great.

And while the frame is riddled with idiot scratches and the slide is burnished with holster wear, mechanically it's solid. The angled surfaces in the frame that cam the barrel don't show a lot of wear and the frame rails still have decent amounts of anodizing. The extractor has plenty of tension and the entire gun locks up tight with the mag inserted. Looks like the guide rod is aftermarket... but seems to work/fit just fine. Overall, the gun feels solid, substantial and well made. Just like every 3rd gen I've had.

Name:  IMG_1792.jpg
Views: 1686
Size:  101.1 KB

So, I threw some oil on it and headed to the range.

I've owned a 3913TSW, but I always shot my venerable 6904 better--I chalked it up to the wider grip offering a bit more stability. So, I was curious to I'd do with a 39XX again...

While my shots were grouping slightly right, they grouped decently. I later noticed that the front sight was a touch left of center... could explain the right-ness. I slowed down and applied some Kentucky windage (I live in Kentucky--I can say that). Got a halfway decent 10-shot group @ 10 yards.

Name:  IMG_1781.jpg
Views: 1671
Size:  38.3 KB

In terms of handling, the gun felt nimble and natural. Extremely comfortable to hold. Extremely comfortable to shoot. With the thinner grip circumference and the straighter backstrap, the trigger reach is noticeably shorter vs. the 6904. Plus, the rubber grip makes the recoil disappear.

And I personally love the DA triggers on 3rd gens. This one is no exception. It's not necessarily light... but it's consistent and stack free throughout the stroke. I tend to think the hammer release happens a little later in the trigger's travel vs. Sigs and Berettas. And, for some reason, that seems to give me better control. Combined with the thinner grip and shorter trigger reach, this thing is one hell of nice shooter in DA. I wouldn't mind converting this one to DAO, honestly.

It feels just like you want a compact gun to feel. It shoots well enough for... anything you'd need it for. Plus, it's 1911 thin and 100% reliable: I put 100 rounds through it, zero issues.

Overall, it's a superb little DA/SA blaster. And, most of all, it makes me realize how much of a gap guns like this left behind. It's solid, well made, safe, easy to shoot, easy to carry.

And for $350... I don't know how you could do better.
    Last edited by MattyD380; 04-03-2023 at 08:42 PM.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Sounds about like the 3913 that I kept. Great little gun.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Duelist View Post
    Sounds about like the 3913 that I kept. Great little gun.
    Nice. Yeah, I'd like to get one of the Lady Smith 3913s with the sexy raked dustcover. But I'm happy with some stoic black patina, for now.
    For astute purveyors of pew: hipstertactical.com

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MattyD380 View Post
    Nice. Yeah, I'd like to get one of the Lady Smith 3913s with the sexy raked dustcover. But I'm happy with some stoic black patina, for now.
    I had one of those, too, but it was worth more and the one I kept has a better trigger, so when I was thinning out the herd of 3rd gens to two, I kept the one with the better trigger, and my 4516-1.

I would say that was a great way to spend the card and the cash. I have a 3913TSW with the 7 round mags and it was the first pistol I ever purchased. Reading this makes me want to bring it out and take to the range soon. Enjoy!

Nice score! I would have jumped on it, too.

A 3913 was my main pistol for most of the lean years, and it served me well - I don’t have a round count, but it must be up there after doing a couple of Wally World WWB 100 round boxes a session and one or two sessions a week for most of a decade. It’s in great shape, I took care of it and always lubed before and after range trips. It was demoted to a bedside gun years ago, and it would be great in that role again. I considered going back to it for a EDC, but parts are starting to be an issue and it is not a practical pistol to RDS. I would just replace the dead sights and enjoy it for what it is.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

The 39 series of pistols are much underrated. Enjoy.
    Semper Paratus,

Steve

Site Supporter
    I have often thought. If smith did a compact browning high power. These were the guns to have.

Much more shootable at least for me than a Glock 19.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by MolonLabe416 View Post
    The 39 series of pistols are much underrated. Enjoy.
    Very, very much underrated. @OP I will give you a c-note more than you paid for it....Always wanted to build an ASP....

pat

Definitely good little guns. I had the use of a 3914 for several months and was impressed with both it's reliability and accuracy. It influenced me in later acquiring a 3913 of my own. I've had the 3913 for some years now. It has not disappointed.

I liked the thinner levers, as on some of the Ladysmith versions. I milled down the safety and slide stop levers on mine, and re-bead blasted them to match the original finish.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

User Tag List