Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sidecar style holster in 2023

Quote Originally Posted by Utm View Post
    Have you considered carrying the mag pouch vertical at the 9 o clock position and just leaving it on
    I’m going from a full duty two piece belt to concealment and back, so that won’t work how I’m currently running my stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    THIS. The justification usually sounds to me too much like being "too busy" to dryfire for 15min a day or workout for 30min 2-3x a week. No one is that busy.
    Oh for sure dude. I know guys that make the same claims, I’m not one of them. I’m not referring to time in my day. It’s a niche problem, where I sometime do have a time constraint on getting my concealed gun on fast.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Frankly, if time to holster up is of the essence, for me the sidecar-type holsters are slower to fit in there than regular appendix + mag pouch.
    I've tried Tier 1, including their newer styles. I still think that those rigs are a joke as far as concealment and practicality are concerned. Good to play larping games though, fast.
    One of their former employees, who happens to be a relative to a p-f member, started his own company making similar style rigs. He joins holster and mag pouch with a narrow piece of the same material that the Enigma is made of. I like this solution the best since it allows the rig to conform to the curvature while maintaining the rigidity of a connection. Issues of concealment and access to my dick still remain.
    Thank you for posting this. I have often suspected myself that the internet fanboyism over big name sidecars was a major case of confirmation bias. My ability to use a urinal far supercedes the unlikely event that I will need to reload in a hypothetical defensive gunfight.

I just had the thought that this is a perfect use case for a PHLster Flex, but I believe they’re discontinued. A Flex with the traditional AIWB holster of your choice and then a mag carrier on it could solve this. Especially if you opted for an easy on/off plastic clip on the carrier or that side of the Flex (the kind we all tell people not to put on holsters) and maybe a single DCC clip or Monoblock on the holster. I did that with a Flex for an easy on/off, everything in one unit solution and liked it.

Actually, as I sit here looking at a day that involves going in and out of a courthouse, I’m thinking I should revisit that.

Also, please ignore my inability to count to three as demonstrated in my last post.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    Oh for sure dude. I know guys that make the same claims, I’m not one of them. I’m not referring to time in my day. It’s a niche problem, where I sometime do have a time constraint on getting my concealed gun on fast.
    Good point. Sorry if that came off harsh. In hindsight, I realize I was approaching that purely from the standpoint as a civilian.
    When I hear "sidecar", what I think of are YouTube and Instagram "influencers" popularizing gear that isn't that great, largely to people who have plenty of time and opportunity to make better choices.

Totally get that, for a LE or similar duty role, million things to do so everything is a time/opportunity game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sig_Fiend View Post
    Good point. Sorry if that came off harsh. In hindsight, I realize I was approaching that purely from the standpoint as a civilian.
    When I hear "sidecar", what I think of are YouTube and Instagram "influencers" popularizing gear that isn't that great, largely to people who have plenty of time and opportunity to make better choices.

Totally get that, for a LE or similar duty role, million things to do so everything is a time/opportunity game.
    No worries. I think the same thing, which is why I was checking to see if they’re better. I know a few guys that user sidecar style rigs, I met most of them because how bad they were printing was a conversation starter.

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    I just had the thought that this is a perfect use case for a PHLster Flex, but I believe they’re discontinued. A Flex with the traditional AIWB holster of your choice and then a mag carrier on it could solve this. Especially if you opted for an easy on/off plastic clip on the carrier or that side of the Flex (the kind we all tell people not to put on holsters) and maybe a single DCC clip or Monoblock on the holster. I did that with a Flex for an easy on/off, everything in one unit solution and liked it.

Actually, as I sit here looking at a day that involves going in and out of a courthouse, I’m thinking I should revisit that.

Also, please ignore my inability to count to three as demonstrated in my last post.
    Was just thinking the exact same thing last night. I’ll have to rummage around and find mine. Thanks for the reminder.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    I've tried Tier 1, including their newer styles. I still think that those rigs are a joke as far as concealment and practicality are concerned.
    http://instagram.com/p/CMD_aWir3aE/

I've been running one of the Tier 1 holsters with my Beretta for a few years. Still using the same holster for EDC and competition.
    I've had little trouble concealing, peeing, and fornicating with the holster design. It cums, err, "comes" out and off easily.
    I'm 6'4", so YMMV, but I'm respectfully curious why YVK thinks they're a joke.

I still love the DSG Koala and the design of the Keepers holsters. That gear works great.
    The T1 design, however, cantilevers the gun and keeps it "just right" for me as I favor a slightly higher ride.

http://instagram.com/p/CG2YCrapyBL/

Retraining the reload was just a matter of some reps and dry fire, as the spacing is a bit closer.

@Les
    It conceals poorly for most people. You are a big dude, and so is the principal guy at the Tier 1, it could be just that. On average and smaller suze people it only conceals in a static, in front of a mirror position. I see people run them at matches, and the "joke" comment came from those observations.
    Mag creates an additional printing point. If it works for a given person, great. If not, you can't reposition it for a better concealment.
    The overall footprint, between edge of mag holder and edge of a wing, is just huge. I can stand in it all day long; sitting not so much.
    It only works in a relatively central position. Getting the gun closer to a true appendix spot doesn't work as well, so it is less versatile.
    Clips are good for convenience; I think a hard use holster should have at least an option of a closed loop.

Tldr, concealment and footprint for me, and most people I've observed, makes it a gaming rig. I'm glad it is working for you otherwise.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

@YVK maybe consider being more specific in your criticisms?

I am a small dude and love sidecars.

But I tend to only put small, short, slim guns in them.

A Kimber 3” Micro 9 single stack and single stack mag disappears.

A P365 short slide and mag, super comfy.

It all depends on choices.

User Tag List