Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sidecar style holster in 2023

Sidecar style holster in 2023

I’ve avoided Sidecar style holster, up until now. I think that my tenicor holster, and Koala mag pouch are better than a sidecar style for comfort, and concealment.

However. I’ve found that in my current job, I sometimes need to hastily throw on a gun. If times of the essence I get lazy, and don’t bother with my spare mag. The idea is that with a sidecar style, I don’t get that choice to be lazy, and ideally it’s faster.

I’m seeing “next Gen” sidecar stuff now, like the updated trex arms, and the Tier1 Axis that lets the mag and holster move independently. In 2023 is there an update to this design that makes it viable compared to the old rigid systems? What model/makers do you guys like?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post
    I’ve avoided Sidecar style holster, up until now. I think that my tenicor holster, and Koala mag pouch are better than a sidecar style for comfort, and concealment.

However. I’ve found that in my current job, I sometimes need to hastily throw on a gun. If times of the essence I get lazy, and don’t bother with my spare mag. The idea is that with a sidecar style, I don’t get that choice to be lazy, and ideally it’s faster.

I’m seeing “next Gen” sidecar stuff now, like the updated trex arms, and the Tier1 Axis that lets the mag and holster move independently. In 2023 is there an update to this design that makes it viable compared to the old rigid systems? What model/makers do you guys like?

Thanks!
    The new Tier1 stuff is much better than the single sidecar. The latter looks like I stuff a phonebook down my pants. But even the new ones still print a lot for me. I can do it with a sweatshirt but wouldn't even try in a t shirt.

The enigma has ruined belt holsters for me but it's a giant pain to take on and off.

Quote Originally Posted by BK14 View Post

Thanks!
    Scott Jedlinski runs a Tier1, I think, or at least was in a video I saw recently. He said the flexible design fixed the problem versus the rigid design. Not sure if he’s sponsored.

I don’t know, I still don’t see any advantage. The disadvantage is you’re locked into a specific distance between gun and magazine, which may not be idea on your body.

Serious question… How long is it taking you to put on and take off your Tenicor and Koala? I use a JMCK with DCC clips, and it takes probably 30 seconds to don both the gun and magazine. Maybe it’s a technique thing? The DCC clips definitely require a specific process.
    Last edited by CalAlumnus; 04-03-2023 at 07:29 PM.

I defeat lazy by shoving an extra mag or speedloader in a pocket. Might not be ideal but I will have an extra ammo on me. The side car holsters just seem... big.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    The disadvantage is you’re locked into a specific distance between gun and magazine, which may not be idea on your body.
    That’s actually one of the biggest advantages for me.

I want the mag and holster to be EXACTLY in the same place no matter what day it is.

And the same relationship to one another.

I want to be able to close my eyes and hit the draw or reload by feel without any wobble, tilt or flex.

I love sidecars.

Most traditional single mag pouches are also dead vertical.

Sidecars allow angle without wobble or instability. It’s more ergonomic.

Personally I think it'd be a downgrade from a tenicor holster. They're just too bulky for me and print more than I'm comfortable with. I'd probably just throw the extra mag in a pocket if I felt like I absolutely needed it.

Frankly, if time to holster up is of the essence, for me the sidecar-type holsters are slower to fit in there than regular appendix + mag pouch.
    I've tried Tier 1, including their newer styles. I still think that those rigs are a joke as far as concealment and practicality are concerned. Good to play larping games though, fast.
    One of their former employees, who happens to be a relative to a p-f member, started his own company making similar style rigs. He joins holster and mag pouch with a narrow piece of the same material that the Enigma is made of. I like this solution the best since it allows the rig to conform to the curvature while maintaining the rigidity of a connection. Issues of concealment and access to my dick still remain.
    Doesn't read posts longer than two paragraphs.

Quote Originally Posted by CalAlumnus View Post
    Scott Jedlinski runs a Tier1, I think, or at least was in a video I saw recently. He said the flexible design fixed the problem versus the rigid design. Not sure if he’s sponsored.

I don’t know, I still don’t see any advantage. The disadvantage is you’re locked into a specific distance between gun and magazine, which may not be idea on your body.

Serious question… How long is it taking you to put on and take off your Tenicor and Koala? I use a JMCK with DCC clips, and it takes probably 30 seconds to don both the gun and magazine. Maybe it’s a technique thing? The DCC clips definitely require a specific process.
    Tenicor is fast, koala is slow. My koala is a PTD. Maybe I need to try out a DCC clip for it. I’ll still have the issue of losing my mag pouch, or choosing laziness, but maybe I just need to suck less.

A big reason I’m tying to avoid the pocket mag, is I’m wanting to incorporate the ETQ into the space that mag would go. That said, maybe I’ll try the ETQ in my offside pocket and leave the left pocket free for a mag.

All the continued dislike is making me think that a different solution besides the sidecar is still the answer.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    Frankly, if time to holster up is of the essence, for me the sidecar-type holsters are slower to fit in there than regular appendix + mag pouch.
    I've tried Tier 1, including their newer styles. I still think that those rigs are a joke as far as concealment and practicality are concerned. Good to play larping games though, fast.
    One of their former employees, who happens to be a relative to a p-f member, started his own company making similar style rigs. He joins holster and mag pouch with a narrow piece of the same material that the Enigma is made of. I like this solution the best since it allows the rig to conform to the curvature while maintaining the rigidity of a connection. Issues of concealment and access to my dick still remain.
    Can you share who that company is?

User Tag List