Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Taurus tx22 range report

Taurus tx22 compact range report

Recently picked up a Taurus tx22 compact as I wanted a .22 “trainer” but wanted one with an optic cut and something that was I could take with me for small game when I’m out and about. I checked out a few of the other offerings but the Taurus tx22 compact seemed like the best fit for me. Mounted a primary arms micro dot as the Taurus is set up for the shield rmsc/holosun k foot print and the primary arms matched and i caught one on sale for 89 bucks. Name:  75436305-C05E-437A-815E-8CC52DE92D07.jpg
Views: 3714
Size:  100.2 KB
    The gun is threaded and comes with an adapter. Ambi safety and 13 round magazines it also take Glock front and rear sights. It comes with a white dot front and a black serrated u notch rear. They are just barely too short to see through the optic so taller sights would be needed. I ran 500 rounds through it and its two mags today.

100 CCI mini mag target 40 grains
    50 CCI standard velocity 40 grains
    150 federal punch 29 grain
    50 CCI quiet semi auto 45 grain 835 FPS
    50 norma match 22 40 grain
    And about 75 rounds of bulk ammo

All total I had 8 “malfunctions” 5 with the punch but I think that had to do with how I loaded the mags and the profile of the bullet. If I didn’t load the mags fully and pull the follower all the way down and let it go to seat the rounds I would get a failure to feed. Or if I reloaded from a mag pouch sometimes the top bullet would be pushed down a bit and would nose dive into the mag. I “think” because the punch has a more flat profile that it seemed to have more feeding issues. I did have one round of CCI small game bullet which had a similar profile do the same. Otherwise I had a failure to lock back on 1 round of Norma match. 1 failure to fire with the CCI quiet. I’ll do some more testing with the federal punch. I meant to grab a box of CCI velocitors but apparently forgot. Winchester also appears to have a defense oriented load that I would like to try as well. Accuracy appears to be good however i didn’t really test it I just did a rough zero at 7 yards and the wind started coming in at 20-30 mph so I’ll test it later. I was able to make some 12 gauge empty’s dance though. This was 7 yards with federal punch two mags worth so 26 rounds. Name:  4006E725-2F92-48A4-A0E3-3D45DFEFAFC9.jpg
Views: 2593
Size:  43.7 KB
    Trigger is decent and Glock like maybe a little bit lighter than a standard Glock trigger but decent. This is a very fun gun to shoot. I have a holster coming from Taurus as there is not a lot of options for this right now. But so far this seems like a good option for a red dot .22 trainer.
    Last edited by Grouse870; 04-03-2023 at 01:31 PM.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

So glad to see this review! I'm pretty interested in this little blaster too.

FWIW I have an M&P Compact .22 that shoots glorious and has never bobbled once, until I tried Punch in it yesterday and it literally became a single shot with Punch. Shoots everything with a round nose or normal .22 LR hollowpoint fine.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

“Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Range update. About 350 rounds so about 850 total rounds

100 rounds cci velcitors had 4 malfunctions. 3 stove pipes with live rounds and one fail to lock back. I could definitely tell the difference in these rounds as there was more “recoil”.

100 rounds cci minimags 1 stove pipe with a live round.

50 rounds federal punch. No malfunctions I did something different that I’m going to try from now on. I only loaded 12 rounds in a mag and it seemed to help with function especially with this round as I was having issues with this round before.

20 rounds cci stingers. No issues. Going to pick up some more to try as I only had a partial box.

52 rounds various bulk but mostly federal 36 grain. Had 2 fail to feeds

20 rounds cci green tag. No issues ran very well. Wind came in and started blowing over my targets so I called it.

Still really liking this gun. I picked up an appendix holster from UM tactical that works pretty well. I added a soft loop and some velcro with a wedge which helps as this gun is very short and it tips out a bit.

Name:  5784D00A-AA56-4FD9-B79F-6A403EF7CE4B.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  33.0 KB
    Federal punch. There’s alway one that sneaks out so 49/50
    Name:  864FCE34-3FB3-46A8-9D25-F7A84D4AA191.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  24.5 KB
    10 rounds at 10 yards with cci green tag. Shot as soon as the dot settled
    Name:  62771E69-4E93-4B2C-BA8D-3CD5CEDC14C3.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  69.9 KB
    UM tactical holster it was 34 dollars at Taurus USA with the coupon provided with the gun which I thought was a nice touch.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    Range update. About 350 rounds so about 850 total rounds

100 rounds cci velcitors had 4 malfunctions. 3 stove pipes with live rounds and one fail to lock back. I could definitely tell the difference in these rounds as there was more “recoil”.

100 rounds cci minimags 1 stove pipe with a live round.

50 rounds federal punch. No malfunctions I did something different that I’m going to try from now on. I only loaded 12 rounds in a mag and it seemed to help with function especially with this round as I was having issues with this round before.

20 rounds cci stingers. No issues. Going to pick up some more to try as I only had a partial box.

52 rounds various bulk but mostly federal 36 grain. Had 2 fail to feeds

20 rounds cci green tag. No issues ran very well. Wind came in and started blowing over my targets so I called it.

Still really liking this gun. I picked up an appendix holster from UM tactical that works pretty well. I added a soft loop and some velcro with a wedge which helps as this gun is very short and it tips out a bit.

Name:  5784D00A-AA56-4FD9-B79F-6A403EF7CE4B.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  33.0 KB
    Federal punch. There’s alway one that sneaks out so 49/50
    Name:  864FCE34-3FB3-46A8-9D25-F7A84D4AA191.jpg
Views: 2463
Size:  24.5 KB
    10 rounds at 10 yards with cci green tag. Shot as soon as the dot settled
    Name:  62771E69-4E93-4B2C-BA8D-3CD5CEDC14C3.jpg
Views: 2471
Size:  69.9 KB
    UM tactical holster it was 34 dollars at Taurus USA with the coupon provided with the gun which I thought was a nice touch.
    Thank you for the very helpful review.

I noticed only one loop on the holster. On a couple of occasions, I have had loops break (usually at the bottom where they bend) while I was wearing the holster. When that happened, I was really happy to have one other intact loop.

I appreciate the report, I've been looking at getting this gun even though I talk a lot of smack about Taurus in general. I'm all in on Glocks and was going to get a G44, but I hate the fact I would have to spend almost as much as the gun on an aftermarket slide to run an optic. I'm also all in on pistol red dots so I'd like to have that on a .22 as well.

I have extra loops just haven’t put it on this is mostly for the range. I’m not thinking about carrying it at this time. I’m the same way with glocks but the price on top of buying a completely new slide just didn’t make sense. I’m less than 400 total on this whole setup. So i consider it a win.

The Punch thing is definitely a known issue, and your guess that it has to do with the bullet shape is correct. Because of the relatively flat nose on the punch if the follower doesn't come all the way up it can cause the nose of the round to catch on the lip of the magazine. Downloading the mag to 12 seems to do the trick for me as well.

Recently picked one up myself, I got the one with the Riton red dot. I’ve been very happy with it, so far 770 rounds fired without a stoppage. Yes you read that right, not even a dead primer. I’ve shot CCI-MM, Aguila super, Federal Blue box, Remington Golden and Browning 40g. I’ve decided to go ahead and make the first 2000 rounds a 2000 round test, why not it’s off to a great start and doesn’t seem to care what ammo I use.

While I’m a little surprised it’s been perfect so far, I’m not surprised it runs really well. I have a full size TX22 with well over 4000 rounds fired and while there have been an occasional stoppage do to common 22lr stuff, dead primer, under powered round, etc. it has been outstanding. Taurus really hit the ball out of the park with the TX22 line up.

Another update:

100 rounds federal punch loading 12 rounds instead of 13. 1 stove pipe and 1 failure to feed out of a brand new 16 round mag.

171 rounds of fed auto match. 1 failure to fire that went off the second time. This may be my new go to general purpose ammo for this gun as so far it’s run great.

Loading one round down in both the 13 and the 16 round mag seems to be the ticket. Still really like this gun.

User Tag List