Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Taurus tx22 range report

I just use the mag loading tool that comes with it. It may be a little slower to load them but it insures that the mag is always loaded correctly. I have both a full size and a compact, with a combined 9000 rounds through them. Never have any reliability or mag issues loading them with the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed L View Post
    I bought a Taurus TX22 Competition model and put a Crimson Trace RAD Open Reflex Pistol Sight on it. A friend has a gun with this exact setup. I shot it and liked it. Since I have found myself taking a lot of new shooters shooting, I thought this would be a fun and easy gun to shoot for them. It averages about one malfunction every 50-70 rounds. It is typically a failure to feed where the tip of the bullet gets caught up on the feed ramp. This is not counting situations where the round does not make it out of the magazine.

When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense.

Here is a picture of my TX22 below my Wilson Beretta Brigadier:

Attachment 106573
    Lightning grip loader with this makes short work of loading tx22 mags. I parted with my tx22 but kept this knowing I’ll eventually end up with tx22 compact.
    https://www.mcfaden.com/mobile/Produ...22-AdapterOnly

When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense.
    Quoting for good tip memo!

Actually many good tips in this thread. @Crusader @jandbj et al

I finally had the opportunity to shoot the "rental" TX22 at my local indoor range. I say "rental" because there isn't a charge due to my membership, and a couple of the SO's are shooting buddies and/or match buds.

The TX22 fits my hand great. The trigger is surprisingly nice with solid reset. The sight picture is clear and crisp even to my old eyes. And I had no difficultly keep all the rounds in the X on the targets I print for Rastoff's Challenge out to 10 yards.

The only problem with this range rental gun was the magazine was for shit! It allow the top round to angle out at >45 degrees...This particular gun fed Federal Gold Medal match .22 fine...not much else. But it was obviously a magazine issue.

I was impressed enough I ordered one when I returned home. $339.00 shipped to the range. No transfer fee just a TICs fee and a pound of flesh for the Tax man...er person. It should be here in a few days.

Reading online. (I know, questionable resource) it appears the Compact (13 rounds) runs fine with the fullsize TX 16 round mags. Anyone verify this?

I plan to put a 407 RDS on this pistol and shoot steel matches with it as well as use as an affordable understudy for my G19. Keeping my fingers crossed,

Thanks for all of the great info everyone has posted!

Happy Birthday America!
    Last edited by Jamie; 07-04-2023 at 08:32 AM.

I got one and its run well with Remington Golden Bullet and some Winchester 36 grain HPs. But just about a hundred or 150 rounds so far. I bought the model with the cheapo RDS already mounted, for $50 worth of convenience. I wouldn't do that again.

I like it. Not sure I like it better than my M&P Compact pictured, which feels higher quality and has run a lot of rounds of every stripe except Punch very well.

Name:  22s.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  77.6 KB

Name:  22s 2.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  38.7 KB
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Thanks for the side by side pics @JHC

Good point on the included RDS. I know the Holosuns have worked well for me, wasn't sure about that one.

I picked up my TX22 Compact yesterday.
    Very impressive .22
    Totally different sight picture (subjectively) from the rental TX22 the range owns. I've ordered a Holosun 407 for it. My eyes need the Red Dot...
    The grip is reminiscent of my daily carry G19. I like that!

I disassembled the gun (removed the slide) as soon as I got to the firing lines. Everything looked great. I applied a bit of Lucas lube to the rails and put it back on the gun.

I fried about 150 rounds of various .22s through without a hitch. I forgot to bring some Federal Punch with me, so I plan to try those and some Federal Automatch (as I have quite a bit of it put back) next time.

Garden work and waterbath canning today. Chores must be done.

Thank you the helpful info as always here at P-F.

Name:  Tx22 compact 1st rounds.jpg
Views: 408
Size:  53.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
    I picked up my TX22 Compact yesterday.
    I forgot to bring some Federal Punch with me, so I plan to try those and some Federal Automatch (as I have quite a bit of it put back) next time.
    Federal punch did not run well in mine. I quit trying after I got 2 failures to feed in 20 rounds with the nose of the punch stopping on the feed ramp.

I differentiate these with the ones due to a problem due to loading the magazine as I described in my previous post:

"When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense."

If you load the magazine incorrectly the slide will likely pass over the round and leave the round in the magazine. I will set it up and take a picture when I get a chance.

Federal punch did not run well in mine. I quit trying after I got 2 failures to feed in 20 rounds with the nose of the punch stopping on the feed ramp.

I differentiate these with the ones due to a problem due to loading the magazine as I described in my previous post:

"When loading the TX22 magazines I have found that you have to pull the follower tab down a little bit and singly load a round, then make sure that the round is all the way back with the base of the round against the rear of the magazine, and then pull the follower tab down a little bit and drop another round in. You cannot pull the follower tab all the way down and drop the rounds in like you can with a Ruger MK II and such because some of the rounds might not position well and might fail to feed and not come out of the magazine at all. Hopefully my explanation makes sense."

If you load the magazine incorrectly the slide will likely pass over the round and leave the round in the magazine. I will set it up and take a picture when I get a chance.
    Thank you Ed. That would be appreciated.
    I am paying meticulous attention to loading the magazines as suggested and ,out of habit, back-tap the mags against my hand.
    I have a couple of extra mags on order as I type this.

I don't have any illusions the Punch will work as you and several others, including @jetfire, have mentioned.

But I gotta try LOL

At least with mine downloading by one round seemed to fix the failure issues I was having.
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse870 View Post
    At least with mine downloading by one round seemed to fix the failure issues I was having.
    I will definitely give this a try.

Not that I'll be using this gun for varmint control or self defense but it would be great to be able to get reliable functioning with the Punch.

I've "removed" quite a few coyotes, fox, and skunks with CCI Stingers (raiding my chickens...another wife/another life) and the Stingers feed very well.

User Tag List