Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Florida: DeSantis signs Constitutional Carry bill into law

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    A couple summers ago I spent a summer in a travel trailer with no A/C about a stones throw from where the inventor lived who invented air conditioning and refrigeration. This is NW Florida and after that period of my life I can now understand what would have possessed a man to stop at nothing to produce such things. I don't know how but the weather there seemed to be so much harder to handle than what you get in the Tampa area (where I now reside).
    Interesting....I have a somewhat opposite perspective. I grew up in SWFL and am now in the panhandle. I much prefer the weather up here...it's just as miserable in the summer but half the year is actually not bad (roughly November to April). Winter here is fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by revchuck38 View Post
    This is the case. The legislature sent it to him and he vetoed it. Even if it passes again and does get signed into law, and I hope it does, I'll keep mine for reciprocity purposes.
    Yeah, if I had an LA permit I'd keep it to. For now, anyway. How did you get WA state reciprocity? And MN? I think has something to do with applicants being run through their state gang book or somesuch? WA/MN reciprocity doesn't seem to be common. LA is one of the better permits out there.

I think the benefit to permits-for-reciprocity is starting to disappear, though. Most places I've lived or would visit armed are CC/permitless now. TX is the odd one out where having the license lets you carry in more places than without. If I were to move now it looks like the only real benefit to keeping the TX LTC or getting a new resident permit/license would be NV/Vegas.

I'd imagine reciprocity for some places is one high profile incident away from becoming a beige or red spot on the handgunlaw.us map. States passing more draconian measures probably aren't going to continue allowing out-of-state permits if the issue makes the larger public awareness. Which just furthers us coming to a point where basically a state is either CA/NY in that if they do have a permit system for special, wealthy or connected state residents only or... permit? What's a permit? What do you need that for?

Starting to make that $300 lifetime AL permit look like a bum deal. I remember some folks were excited about that.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by jh9 View Post
    Yeah, if I had an LA permit I'd keep it to. For now, anyway. How did you get WA state reciprocity? And MN? I think has something to do with applicants being run through their state gang book or somesuch? WA/MN reciprocity doesn't seem to be common. LA is one of the better permits out there.

I think the benefit to permits-for-reciprocity is starting to disappear, though. Most places I've lived or would visit armed are CC/permitless now. TX is the odd one out where having the license lets you carry in more places than without. If I were to move now it looks like the only real benefit to keeping the TX LTC or getting a new resident permit/license would be NV/Vegas.

I'd imagine reciprocity for some places is one high profile incident away from becoming a beige or red spot on the handgunlaw.us map. States passing more draconian measures probably aren't going to continue allowing out-of-state permits if the issue makes the larger public awareness. Which just furthers us coming to a point where basically a state is either CA/NY in that if they do have a permit system for special, wealthy or connected state residents only or... permit? What's a permit? What do you need that for?

Starting to make that $300 lifetime AL permit look like a bum deal. I remember some folks were excited about that.
    My understanding of reciprocity is that it's an agreement between the respective states' Attorneys General based on their states' requirements to obtain a permit. NM rescinded its reciprocity agreement with LA because they claim we didn't meet their standards.

From what I've read, most Constitutional Carry states only permit residents of that state to carry without a permit. Out-of-state folks still need to have a permit and reciprocity with those states.

I've got a lifetime LA permit. It's free for me since I'm over 65 and a veteran. I still have to attend training and "qualify" every five years to keep it current.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    Interesting....I have a somewhat opposite perspective. I grew up in SWFL and am now in the panhandle. I much prefer the weather up here...it's just as miserable in the summer but half the year is actually not bad (roughly November to April). Winter here is fantastic.
    It may have been related to the fact that it was a VERY rainy summer there to add massive humidity but I suppose I do not have enough experience to say definitely. I will say that I picked up a trailer once from a SE Georgia guy at his house and he claimed that the weather was worse there than the folks had it in Florida. I really don't know in the end...

Quote Originally Posted by Thy.Will.Be.Done View Post
    The heat and humidity can really suck but there's such a thing as roasted barley tea (which really does work to take the sting out of this period) if one looks to the ingenuity of the asians and their history of using this. Also, air conditioning is the thing that makes it OK. In FL, most people live indoors year round so it doesn't serve to keep the idiots out anymore. I can attest though that without taking measures like this the humidity is surely a thing that can just decimate your ability to function over the summer.

A couple summers ago I spent a summer in a travel trailer with no A/C about a stones throw from where the inventor lived who invented air conditioning and refrigeration. This is NW Florida and after that period of my life I can now understand what would have possessed a man to stop at nothing to produce such things. I don't know how but the weather there seemed to be so much harder to handle than what you get in the Tampa area (where I now reside).
    Quote Originally Posted by Palmguy View Post
    Grew up in Tallahassee, went to school in Gainesville, lived in SE Florida since 2001.

Without a doubt, the Gainesville/Ocala area is the worst when it comes to weather.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

My understanding of reciprocity is that it's an agreement between the respective states' Attorneys General based on their states' requirements to obtain a permit. NM rescinded its reciprocity agreement with LA because they claim we didn't meet their standards.
    Right, but everything State X's AG does is constrained by state law and there's nothing to prevent any given state-- WA would be my first guess based on recent history-- from passing legislation that basically says "we're just not doing reciprocity anymore."

From what I've read, most Constitutional Carry states only permit residents of that state to carry without a permit. Out-of-state folks still need to have a permit and reciprocity with those states.
    I thought that was just North Dakota?

https://handgunlaw.us/states/northdakota.pdf

Site Supporter
    Not a lawyer. This is my opinion, not legal advice.

In TX, as long as you are legally allowed to possess a gun, you can carry without a permit, resident or not.

https://onlinetexasltc.com/texas-gun...non-residents/
    Generally referred to as constitutional carry or permitless carry, it applies to both residents of Texas and non-residents who are visiting or haven’t yet become official residents of the state. According to U.S. LawShield, residents and non-residents must meet the following requirements to carry a gun in Texas without an LTC: • Be at least 21 years of age
    • Be legally able to carry and purchase a gun
    • Not be legally prohibited from owning or carrying firearms
    In Texas, certain misdemeanor crimes could prevent you from carrying under constitutional carry as well. These eligibility requirements apply to residents and non-residents of Texas.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    Not a lawyer. This is my opinion, not legal advice.

In TX, as long as you are legally allowed to possess a gun, you can carry without a permit, resident or not.

https://onlinetexasltc.com/texas-gun...non-residents/
    For what it’s worth, before I became a TX resident I inquired of DPS about whether non-Texas residents were covered under constitutional carry. They told me no, which may or may not have been accurate - but I decided to go ahead and get my TX nonres.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

I'm happy about this. It means that if I need to remove my gun for a moment, I can have my wife put it in her purse without committing a crime. That has been a need a few time since I've lived here and it would have been conveinent. Not freaking out if I forget my wallet will be nice too.

I'll keep my permit purely to get rid of waiting periods.

I try to stay up on this stuff but had no idea it was happening.

Site Supporter
    From handgunlaw.us:

1AK, 1AZ, 1AR, 1GA, 1
    ID, 1
    IN, 1
    IA, 1KS, 1KY, 1ME,
    1MS, 1MO, 1MT, NH,1 1OH, 1OK, 1
    SD, 1TN,
    1TX, 1UT,
    1VT, 1WV & 1WY -
    anyone who can legally possess a firearm Under State and Federal Law can carry Concealed W/O a Permit. Age Restrictions May Apply
    Looks like I was wrong. Glad to be corrected on this!
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List