Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Amplified headset for Open gun

Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    Not the kind of noise canceling that counters noise from explosions.

Definitely not, but ok on an 80 db aircraft.

Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    No, I was talking about just the passive NRR of the bud itself, separate from the electronics.

I think they were selling a special earpiece for them. I’ll see if I can find it later.
    Here is an interesting analysis- the ANC is primarily at lower frequency, where an over the ear design also reduces high frequency passively.

And I will say that the AirPod Pro 2 is much better that’s the original version, both in terms of NC and sound.

https://www.crysound.com/en/news/details/216.html

I have been following this thread as I am in need of new hearing protection. Through some non-gunrelated circumstances, I am suffering from some hearing loss and in need of protecting what I have left.

@GJM

What did you end up landing on - if anything yet? If you already mentioned it in the thread, please forgive me. I feel like the thread had some $1.5k - $2k "options" and then a couple $150 dollar ones... I was looking to land somewhere between the 2 options. Is there anymore info from the group - or is this pretty much the consensus re: re: ear pro in 2023?

I have tried to use the search option with a few different interations re: ear protection, ear muffs, hearing protection, shooting headphones and have not seen many threads besides this one. I guess hearing pro is not discussed as much - OR - I may just be a dunce who can't use the search funciton correctly! I definitely do not want to be "that guy". Thanks for the info so far!

Quote Originally Posted by JPedersen View Post
    I have been following this thread as I am in need of new hearing protection. Through some non-gunrelated circumstances, I am suffering from some hearing loss and in need of protecting what I have left.

@GJM

What did you end up landing on - if anything yet? If you already mentioned it in the thread, please forgive me. I feel like the thread had some $1.5k - $2k "options" and then a couple $150 dollar ones... I was looking to land somewhere between the 2 options. Is there anymore info from the group - or is this pretty much the consensus re: re: ear pro in 2023?

I have tried to use the search option with a few different interations re: ear protection, ear muffs, hearing protection, shooting headphones and have not seen many threads besides this one. I guess hearing pro is not discussed as much - OR - I may just be a dunce who can't use the search funciton correctly! I definitely do not want to be "that guy". Thanks for the info so far!
    I have not settled on a perfect solution yet. Mostly, I continue to use my custom amplified molded earplugs underneath my MSA Sordin amplified headset. I have a $35 30db Pro Ears non amplified headset that I sometimes wear over my amplified hearing plugs when I'm shooting my 38 Super comp. I also purchased a $150 30 DB Pro Ears amplified headset but returned them because they didn't work properly.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I have not settled on a perfect solution yet. Mostly, I continue to use my custom amplified molded earplugs underneath my MSA Sordin amplified headset. I have a $35 30db Pro Ears non amplified headset that I sometimes wear over my amplified hearing plugs when I'm shooting my 38 Super comp. I also purchased a $150 30 DB Pro Ears amplified headset but returned them because they didn't work properly.
    Thank you so much for sharing. I know that I - and the PF community - appreciate your hard won knowledge and experience. Thanks for the input.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Ops-Core AMP with NFMI plugs are what I use now, and I think they are absolute money. Haven't had any noticeable issues with audio cutting out.

For background, I started out simply using Shure IEMs with the triple flange as passive hearing protection on the pistol range. I then upgraded to MSA Sordin Supreme-Xs with SureFire plugs using Shure olives, before trying out the Safariland Liberator HPs with the SureFires for a bit, before finally settling on the AMPs with NFMI plugs with Comply Canal Tips.

I think that the noise suppression is absolutely stellar with the AMPs/NFMI plug combination, with excellent situational awareness and sound reproduction. In terms of situational awareness, if bare actives muffs are a 100, active muffs paired with normal foamies are a 20, active muffs paired with the SureFires with the filter caps open are a 50, and the AMPs/NFMI are probably a 98. In terms of sound suppression, the AMPs/NFMI plug combination is also excellent, with me feeling just fine standing next to a guy running a 10.3" and a brake while everyone else with just muffs definitely were wincing and doubling up usually afterwards.

Peltor has their TEP-300/ComTac VII combo that operates the same way, though even pricier than the Ops-Core AMP, albeit with arguably better capabilities (the TEP-300s can act as amplified plugs on their own, while the Ops-Core NFMI plugs are strictly passive without the AMP; they also interface with the SCU-300 wireless PTT, but that's not very useful in just range use).

The ComTac VI is a cheaper potential option, as it has an earplug mode specifically for use with passive plugs, where the audio is boosted to try to compensate for the use of said plugs.

Unfortunately, these are all communication headsets, so will be substantially pricier than most hearing protection options.
    I recently got the Ops Core AMP with NFMI plugs, and after two range sessions, I am thrilled. Look forward to using them at matches and a lot more practices sessions to learn more.

I recently got the Ops Core AMP with NFMI plugs, and after two range sessions, I am thrilled. Look forward to using them at matches and a lot more practices sessions to learn more.
    After several matches and over a dozen range sessions with these, they are working great. Best combination of noise reduction and being able to hear I have used to date.

After several matches and over a dozen range sessions with these, they are working great. Best combination of noise reduction and being able to hear I have used to date.
    Welcome to the NFMI gang.

I will note that, while I personally have had zero issues with mine, the AMPs do seem to get mixed reviews on durability from the reviews I've read (though it seems typically only in a duty capacity) and Ops-Core CS is allegedly typically quite slow since they focus on institutional users.

I would love to try out the ComTac VII/TEP-300 though...

Quote Originally Posted by Default.mp3 View Post
    Welcome to the NFMI gang.

I will note that, while I personally have had zero issues with mine, the AMPs do seem to get mixed reviews on durability from the reviews I've read (though it seems typically only in a duty capacity) and Ops-Core CS is allegedly typically quite slow since they focus on institutional users.

I would love to try out the ComTac VII/TEP-300 though...
    I can't wrap my head around how the NFMI plugs even work -- seems like PFM!

If I’m following you correctly you have both of these?
    Name:  IMG_0662.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  22.1 KBName:  IMG_0663.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  16.6 KB
    How can you govern a country which has two hundred and forty-six varieties of cheese?

Charles de Gaulle

User Tag List