Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rcbusmc24 View Post
    https://www.rsrgroup.com/product/RUG06837

Ruger Gunsite Scout in .450 Bushmaster...

Attachment 103218
    It honestly shoot’s really well IMO. I have been looking for a used one. But then I have 10 whole rounds through one 5 at 25 and 5 at 50 due to the limit at the range. But yeah I want.

We wish to thank the United Network Command for Law and Enforcement, without whose assistance this program would not have been possible.

Site Supporter
    I've always thought the Browning Bar was a beautiful looking rifle. Don't think current production has irons but they did. Magazine fed if it matters.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by camel View Post
    It honestly shoot’s really well IMO. I have been looking for a used one. But then I have 10 whole rounds through one 5 at 25 and 5 at 50 due to the limit at the range. But yeah I want.
    Stop. Please.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pangloss View Post
    Regarding old surplus rifles, I like the Enfields
    The No.4 models with the aperture sights are nice.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    The problem with both surplus and Ruger rifles in 7x57 is they have the longer throat to accommodate the original military loading with the longer and heavier (170-180 grain) bullets. The problem is, if you’re not a hand loader, current production 7x57 is 139/140 grain. It works if all you need is minute of deer at 100 yards, but there is a noticeable difference in accuracy when shooting the ladder bullet loads out of guns chambered for the heavier bullets.
    I would not disagree with that.

7x57 Mauser ammunition is even harder to find around here than .257 Roberts (another fine cartridge that has dropped off most radars).
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

More to add

A few more suggestions, some echoing others here, and all within your price range:

1891 Argentine Mauser engineer's carbine in 7.65 arg

Name:  91 Mauser carbine.jpg
Views: 468
Size:  23.5 KB

I owned one in similar shape, and it was an absolute peach; the best military trigger I've yet dealt with. I should never have let it go. They do thump the shoulder, but nowhere as severe as one would think.
    Extra style points for a beautifully machined Mauser made by German Jews for South Americans who think they're Italian.

( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludwig_Loewe for some background. Ludwig and brother Isidor got around!)

And here's a lovely confection of a long gun in a legendary chambering:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/978273314

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 10.30.10 PM.jpg
Views: 466
Size:  37.0 KB

Something tells me this one is either a refin or newer than the stated age...it just doesn't have the right patina for being a century old. Caveat Emptor.

And a 1962 M-S MCA full stock carbine in 30-06

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/977107770

A bit more wear but a very handsome piece.

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-04-06 at 10.34.31 PM.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  14.3 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post

And a 1962 M-S MCA full stock carbine in 30-06

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/977107770

A bit more wear but a very handsome piece.
    I have wanted that rifle forever, but in 6.5 M-S.

However, your Husqvarna thread has me thinking about iron sighted vintage rifles in .30-06. The search for, and cost of, obscure brass and dies gets old, so I recommend a pre-64 Winchester, similar era 700, or something odd like the 1640. Even if it needed a new barrel, it would still come in under the OP's budget.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    I have wanted that rifle forever, but in 6.5 M-S.

However, your Husqvarna thread has me thinking about iron sighted vintage rifles in .30-06. The search for, and cost of, obscure brass and dies gets old, so I recommend a pre-64 Winchester, similar era 700, or something odd like the 1640. Even if it needed a new barrel, it would still come in under the OP's budget.

Some years ago a friend ragged on me with my "can I get ammo for it at walmart" comments when we talked rifle calibers, he liked the wildcats and obscure stuff, feeling that when things got tight, it would be what was left over and easier to find..... One of the first things I do when daydreaming about various rifles is see if brass can be had.

In that light, my 6mm Rem project rifle is being made as a switch barrel, with a standby 243 barrel planned. I have some 6mm brass, but being able to buy ammo and brass easier or on the road is a big plus.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    ... but finding ones with irons is now tough...
    Finding interesting rifles with irons has been tough for some time. I finally just started having decent sights put on them. I settled on the Williams Shorty ramp front, screwed and sweated on if the gunsmith was capable, and using a sourdough type, or square blade sight with brass rear face, and generally a receiver sight on bolt guns. Id zero the receiver sight, then remove the slide and keep with the gun or hunting gear, or in the case of the 338, inletted a place under the recoil pad for it so it was always with the gun if the scope got bonked when out in the hills.

I have a front sight in mind to make from a cut off AR front sight, milled to barrel contour so it sits at the correct height for a bolt gun, silver soldered to the barrel. It would then have the protective ears and some small amount of elevation left to adjust, but my go to guy for such hair brained projects has passed.
    Last edited by Malamute; 04-07-2023 at 09:25 AM.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

User Tag List