Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

https://www.rsrgroup.com/product/RUG06837

Ruger Gunsite Scout in .450 Bushmaster...

Name:  RUG06837_2_thumb.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  2.0 KB
    "So strong is this propensity of mankind, to fall into mutual animosities, that where no substantial occasion presents itself, the most frivolous and fanciful distinctions have been sufficient to kindle their unfriendly passions, and excite their most violent conflicts." - James Madison, Federalist No 10

So many options the savage 99 in .300 savage has been mentioned a Remington 600/660 .350 Remington mag, 1874 sharps .45-120, uberti 1885 Courtney stalking rifle in .303 British, or a trapdoor Springfield. There’s a few more but there black powder that I would go for
    Instagram: sometimesishootCs

Buy my FR-8?
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    Buy my FR-8?
    How much are you asking for the Spanish beauty?

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    But I don't know which one. I don't know much about my new rifle except that it won't be any variant of an AR, because boring. I also want an at least somewhat obscure smokeless powder-burning caliber. I want iron sights on it. I don't have an opinion on whether it should accept a scope as originally produced. I don't want it to be a lever action. Unsure about detachable mags. I think it should have a wood stock, but can be swayed on that. I'll use it for looking at, and possibly to shoot holes in paper at whatever range is reasonable for it. It should be beautiful. The cartridge should either be very big and very slow, or of whatever size (larger than .224 diameter) and of whatever speed, but no pistol calibers. Wildcats are OK. Belted mags are OK. Metric is OK. Centerfire and I'll reload for it. I already have a lot of .25-20's, so not that caliber. Can be new production or from 120 years ago. No SBR's or NFA items. I want to spend less than $2500 on the rifle itself.

What would you buy given these random constraints?
    A good milsurp '98 Mauser in 7x57 would be my choice for the affordable (though maybe not so affordable nowadays) "Swiss army knife" of rifles. Wouldn't matter if it was stock or sporterized thoughtfully. Strong, reliable, safe, capable of dealing with most vertebrates on the vertebrate spectrum, but not too brutal to go pot cans in the pasture with. Easy to craft a variety of decent handloads that are accurate, too.

(ETA: there is nothing wrong with the earlier '93 Mausers in 7x57 either, but I prefer the '98 pattern.)

To be honest, any of the quality modern bolt guns in 7x57 or 7mm-08 Remington would probably work, but finding ones with irons is now tough. If Ruger would make their Scout Rifle in 7mm-08 and operators would pair it with a good LPVO, it would be - IMO - a very useful and easy to live with multitool to use over one's lifetime. I have myself toyed with the idea of getting a .308 Ruger GSR with a Vortex Razor (or similar) and selling every other rifle in the house, but I do not like the .308 well enough to do so.
    Last edited by gato naranja; 04-03-2023 at 08:37 AM.
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

It's really a shame CZ stopped making these. Even though it maybe doesn't meet all the criteria
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine/
    Name:  cz-usa-cz-527-carbine-1.png
Views: 602
Size:  21.7 KB

Absent that, and given the ambiguity of the pursuit, finding yourself a true pre-64 Winchester M70 with iron sights would have some great pride of ownership.
    Does the above offend? If you have paid to be here, you can click here to put it in context.

Site Supporter
    I vote for an 1885 Hi Wall in .45-70. However, I love my Ruger #1.

Regarding old surplus rifles, I like the Enfield's, though I have more time with Mausers. An engineer's carbine of some flavor would be nice to have. 1891 Mausers are the classiest looking, IMO.

Having said all of that a T3x in .223 is still next on my rifle list.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    It's really a shame CZ stopped making these. Even though it maybe doesn't meet all the criteria
    https://cz-usa.com/product/cz-527-carbine/
    Name:  cz-usa-cz-527-carbine-1.png
Views: 602
Size:  21.7 KB
    I had one in .22 Hornet with the factory single set trigger. Another I should have held on to...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    A good milsurp '98 Mauser in 7x57 would be my choice for the affordable (though maybe not so affordable nowadays) "Swiss army knife" of rifles. Wouldn't matter if it was stock or sporterized thoughtfully. Strong, reliable, safe, capable of dealing with most vertebrates on the vertebrate spectrum, but not too brutal to go pot cans in the pasture with. Easy to craft a variety of decent handloads that are accurate, too.

(ETA: there is nothing wrong with the earlier '93 Mausers in 7x57 either, but I prefer the '98 pattern.)

To be honest, any of the quality modern bolt guns in 7x57 or 7mm-08 Remington would probably work, but finding ones with irons is now tough. If Ruger would make their Scout Rifle in 7mm-08 and operators would pair it with a good LPVO, it would be - IMO - a very useful and easy to live with multitool to use over one's lifetime. I have myself toyed with the idea of getting a .308 Ruger GSR with a Vortex Razor (or similar) and selling every other rifle in the house, but I do not like the .308 well enough to do so.
    The problem with both surplus and Ruger rifles in 7x57 is they have the longer throat to accommodate the original military loading with the longer and heavier (170-180 grain) bullets. The problem is, if you’re not a hand loader, current production 7x57 is 139/140 grain. It works if all you need is minute of deer at 100 yards, but there is a noticeable difference in accuracy when shooting the ladder bullet loads out of guns chambered for the heavier bullets.

In my Ruger 77 group size doubles going from heavy bullets to lighter bullets.

7mm-08 is a great round but mostly a hand load proposition.

My vote is for a nice swedish Mauser or Swiss K31.

I'm also fond of my Finnish M39 for shooting on a KD range.

User Tag List