Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

Always between two major rivers that begin with the letter "M."
    Quote Originally Posted by Malamute View Post
    Finding interesting rifles with irons has been tough for some time. I finally just started having decent sights put on them. I settled on the Williams Shorty ramp front, screwed and sweated on if the gunsmith was capable, and using a sourdough type, or square blade sight with brass rear face, and generally a receiver sight on bolt guns.
    I had a CZ452 American I decided needed irons. I used a NECG R-100 Masterpiece banded front ramp with a R-108-3 sourdough blade insert.

The 'smithing on that front banded sight was done by myself, and it was the best example of that kind of work I ever did; it took me quite a while and a lot of trial fitting to get it done. I got a good shrink/driving fit on it and then for insurance applied some of the appropriate wicking green Loctite for shafts, etc... that thing might as well have been integral with the barrel by the time the job was finished.

But the time and trouble cured me from ever wanting to do the job myself again!
    gn

"On the internet, nobody knows if you are a dog... or even a cat."

Quote Originally Posted by gato naranja View Post
    I had a CZ452 American I decided needed irons. I used a NECG R-100 Masterpiece banded front ramp with a R-108-3 sourdough blade insert.

The 'smithing on that front banded sight was done by myself, and it was the best example of that kind of work I ever did; it took me quite a while and a lot of trial fitting to get it done. I got a good shrink/driving fit on it and then for insurance applied some of the appropriate wicking green Loctite for shafts, etc... that thing might as well have been integral with the barrel by the time the job was finished.

But the time and trouble cured me from ever wanting to do the job myself again!
    I like doing many gun projects, but ramps and most front sight work are not on my list. Good for you in pulling it off.

I like the older factory Ruger m77 banded front sights, but finding guns that had them as OEM isnt easy. A friend had his 270 done (factory sights added) at the factory back when they would do that and when the tang safety guns were still made. It looks like the parts are available from Numrich and possibly others.

I had a gunsmith install sights on a gun once and specified the Williams Shorty ramp front, he installed a Remington 700 take-off instead.
    “Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat.”
    ― Theodore Roosevelt

A few people mentioned a rifle I’ve lusted after for a few years now - the Tikka T3x Arctic. Luckily for my wallet they don’t seem to be available anymore.

I’d love to build up something similar based on a common action with AICS magazine compatibility. Maybe a Ruger Ranch would be a good basis? Too bad NoDakSpud went poof! into Palmetto, they were doing a nice sight set for these.
    Last edited by HeavyDuty; 04-19-2023 at 02:07 PM.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...
    revchuck38: ...”mo' ammo is mo' betta' unless you're swimming or on fire.”

Late to the thread, but if I had $2,500 sitting around, and wanted an interesting rifle of the more classic variety, I'd keep a close eye on Champlin Arms and Simpson Ltd and be ready to jump when something really cool comes up.

Damn this place.

I have a pair of Stevens 200s - .308 and .223 - that have served as my lightweight bolts for about 15 years, both with Nikon 1-4Xs. But I’ve always wanted a fairly lightweight .223 with iron sights and fed by STANAG magazines.

This thread got me looking online at Ruger Ranch info for the first time in years. I talked to NDS a few years ago about when they were releasing their iron sights for the .300 BLK barrel, at that time they only had NDS-55 and NDS-56 sights for the .223 version. I ran across pics on ARFCOM of a couple of carbines people built on the Ranch using these sights and a MagPul Hunter stock. So, when I was at Academy yesterday picking up a safe and noticed a .223 Ruger Ranch in the rack...

Again, damn this place. I suspect this one will take awhile to come together - sights, stock, RDS.
    Ken

BBI: ...”you better not forget the safe word because shit's about to get weird”...

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clusterfrack View Post
    (Never mind, just reread your post. Iron sights…)

ARC Nucleus Gen2 $2500

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/n...00#attr=86,146
    This is totally the gun I should have bought for my first 'nice' bolt-action rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    A few people mentioned a rifle I’ve lusted after for a few years now - the Tikka T3x Arctic. Luckily for my wallet they don’t seem to be available anymore.
    Oh look...

It's a Tikka T3x Arctic in stock at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87880...t-action-rifle

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    Oh look...

It's a Tikka T3x Arctic in stock at Cabelas.

https://www.cabelas.ca/product/87880...t-action-rifle
    For Canuckistanis only, though… sigh.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
    For Canuckistanis only, though… sigh.
    https://simpsonltd.com/firearm-imports/

Quote Originally Posted by tango-papa View Post
    I took a quick look, but I’m not sure they can do the PAL part? I assume that’s a license to purchase.

I’ll wait and see what Beretta says, I asked them about it the other day.
    Ken

User Tag List