Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    That's gorgeous.

Three things stand out. First, the rear sight is mounted on the bolt stop. I once owned one like that and it didn't stay zeroed. Second, the stock has been refinished and the panels on the stock alongside the action have been rounded off (Image #4). Normally they have crisp edges like this one: https://www.magzter.com/stories/Mens...-9-X-57-Mauser. Third, someone, maybe the American gunsmith who refinished the stock, put Phillips head screws on the butt plate (Image #34).

But everything about this rifle is elegant and understated. If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take.

Okie John

Good catch on the bolt stop mount. I wouldn't have noticed, having never dealt with a receiver sight mounted in that manner on a Mauser. I am somewhat ashamed on not seeing the phillips heads on the buttplate, but I was so thrilled that it was in such good shape for it's approximate age that I missed the obvious.
    As for the stock, yes, the over-rounding on the receiver panels is unfortunate. The refinisher did not round over the forearm outer edge around the barrel channel nor where the receiver sits, and did sensitive work where the wrist meets the comb.
    I do wonder if the receiver panels could be reduced in height by a few thousandths to restore the crisp edges. If I bought it, I'd be on the phone to some restoration folks about that as soon as I knew it was safe to shoot.
    (The good thing is that it likely will keep the price to an approachable level.)

All in all I was gobsmacked by the shaping work on the barrel and sight rib. If I get another turn around the wheel I should like to become that sort of metalsmith.

Thank you for the link; I think I need to pick up some appropriate literature on the subject of these rifles. And (with your blessing), I want your last comment as a signature line.

Based on the custom Commission rifle in the magazine article, a Gunbroker search turned up this decently engraved Haenel example:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/991734175

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 9.00.53 AM.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  21.8 KB
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Third, someone, maybe the American gunsmith who refinished the stock, put Phillips head screws on the butt plate (Image #34).
    I saw that and cringed appropriately. It's like cheap wheel covers on a classic car.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    Based on the custom Commission rifle in the magazine article, a Gunbroker search turned up this decently engraved Haenel example:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/991734175

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 9.00.53 AM.jpg
Views: 484
Size:  21.8 KB
    I wish I'd kept the surplus Commission rifles I picked up when they were cheap and not very hard to come by. The history and markings really grab me. The carbine versions (Kar88) grab me even more.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    And (with your blessing), I want your last comment as a signature line.
    Of course! But it's not my line. I stole it from a guy I used to work with. He originally said, "If I ever have to shoot someone while I'm wearing a tuxedo, then this would be the gun I'd use."

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 7.30.48 PM.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  23.9 KB

Bill had pretty good taste in guns.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

Of course! But it's not my line. I stole it from a guy I used to work with. He originally said, "If I ever have to shoot someone while I'm wearing a tuxedo, then this would be the gun I'd use."

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-06-12 at 7.30.48 PM.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  23.9 KB

Bill had pretty good taste in guns.

Okie John
    Thanks!
    That might be my favorite of all of JMB's pistol designs. Goes well with the ritzy Mauser, really. Your friend does have good taste in guns.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    So, @Welder what did you get?

(Personally, and absent any specific requirements to the contrary, if someone is an American, IMO the centerfire non-lever choice is .30-06.)
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

Sometimes, when a fellow's been doing the same thing for years and years and is ready for something new and fresh, the answer might be something completely different.

Sporting clays, perhaps.

Duces

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie B View Post
    So, @Welder what did you get?
    To tell you the truth....nothing, yet! I had a couple of the rifles listed here on my GB watchlist, and ended up working through the auction end. I'm still on the hunt. But that's OK; I've come to realize that in many things, the hunt is the best part of the process.

Site Supporter
    I've been considering putting my K31 up for sale. Has original iron sights as well as a clamp on mount for a Leupold scout optic....trying to decide how much interest there is since I see them going for ~1k now.
    Name:  PXL_20230701_182419957.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  21.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I've been considering putting my K31 up for sale. Has original iron sights as well as a clamp on mount for a Leupold scout optic....trying to decide how much interest there is since I see them going for ~1k now.
    Mine has the original irons and a Swiss Products clamp on scope mount. I think I've got a set of Mojo sights for it as well. A quick scroll through my pictures shows that other than a couple mags to function check an AR9 build, I haven't done any rifle shooting since 2021. I've had the mount since at least 2020 and I haven't had the K31 to the range since 2015 if I had to guess. Yet every time I pull it out of the safe with the intention to put it on consignment at the LGS I'm reminded just how neat of a rifle it is.
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Mine has the original irons and a Swiss Products clamp on scope mount. I think I've got a set of Mojo sights for it as well. A quick scroll through my pictures shows that other than a couple mags to function check an AR9 build, I haven't done any rifle shooting since 2021. I've had the mount since at least 2020 and I haven't had the K31 to the range since 2015 if I had to guess. Yet every time I pull it out of the safe with the intention to put it on consignment at the LGS I'm reminded just how neat of a rifle it is.
    Those are neat rifles. I don’t regret selling mine, but I also don’t regret buying it, and if I’d kept it, I would still like it.

User Tag List