Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

Site Supporter

I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

But I don't know which one. I don't know much about my new rifle except that it won't be any variant of an AR, because boring. I also want an at least somewhat obscure smokeless powder-burning caliber. I want iron sights on it. I don't have an opinion on whether it should accept a scope as originally produced. I don't want it to be a lever action. Unsure about detachable mags. I think it should have a wood stock, but can be swayed on that. I'll use it for looking at, and possibly to shoot holes in paper at whatever range is reasonable for it. It should be beautiful. The cartridge should either be very big and very slow, or of whatever size (larger than .224 diameter) and of whatever speed, but no pistol calibers. Wildcats are OK. Belted mags are OK. Metric is OK. Centerfire and I'll reload for it. I already have a lot of .25-20's, so not that caliber. Can be new production or from 120 years ago. No SBR's or NFA items. I want to spend less than $2500 on the rifle itself.

What would you buy given these random constraints?

Every once in a while I get a terrible want for a Sako 85 Arctos in 9.3x62. I think that they've gotten more expensive than the $2500 budget recently though.

I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

(Never mind, just reread your post. Iron sights…)

ARC Nucleus Gen2 $2500

https://www.americanrifle.com/shop/n...00#attr=86,146
    “There is no growth in the comfort zone.”--Jocko Willink
    "You can never have too many knives." --Joe Ambercrombie

Quote Originally Posted by Welder View Post
    But I don't know which one. I don't know much about my new rifle except that it won't be any variant of an AR, because boring. I also want an at least somewhat obscure smokeless powder-burning caliber. I want iron sights on it. I don't have an opinion on whether it should accept a scope as originally produced. I don't want it to be a lever action. Unsure about detachable mags. I think it should have a wood stock, but can be swayed on that. I'll use it for looking at, and possibly to shoot holes in paper at whatever range is reasonable for it. It should be beautiful. The cartridge should either be very big and very slow, or of whatever size (larger than .224 diameter) and of whatever speed, but no pistol calibers. Wildcats are OK. Belted mags are OK. Metric is OK. Centerfire and I'll reload for it. I already have a lot of .25-20's, so not that caliber. Can be new production or from 120 years ago. No SBR's or NFA items. I want to spend less than $2500 on the rifle itself.

What would you buy given these random constraints?
    Some flavor of South American Mauser in 7.65x53 or 7x57. I'm partial to carbines myself.

Any new or or properly converted sporter rifle in .257 Roberts

Persian Mauser carbine in 8x57 (the 16" barrel version)

Swiss K31 (7.5x55)

Swede Mauser carbine in 6.5x55 (remember what I said about being partial to carbines? )

Something in .30-40 Krag

Springfield 1903 in .30-03 (don't know what the going rate on those are, might be over the price cap)
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Savage 99 in .300 Savage. You won't be sorry.

CZ 550FS in 6.5 Swede

A Remington 8 in .25 Rem- one of Frank Hamer's favorites.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Ruger No 1 in some cartridge suitable for cast bullets. 35 Whelen maybe, something over .40 maybe.

1. Tikka T3X Arctic in .308;

2. A decent milsurp battle rifle, just because...(Lee Enfield, M1 Garand, FN FAL or FN 49....)

Best, Jon
    Sponsored by Check-Mate Industries and BH Spring Solutions
    Certified Glock Armorer

Ever wanted a classic stalking rifle?

https://simpsonltd.com/husqvarna-46-z46075/

Find a Husqvarna 46 (Modified M/96 Swedish Mauser action) in 9.3x57, or 9.3x62 for $5-600
    and send it off to RJ Renner for refurbishment and refinement. The 640 series is post-war and uses a FN Commercial Mauser action; these are also a really neat rifle, but no one will call you "Welder-Pasha". Well, except some of us....

Or the easy button for something classic:

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/978229182

Name:  1926_Sauer.jpg
Views: 1582
Size:  102.5 KB

(Probable) Guild quality 1926 Sauer Mauser with double set triggers and original scope in 9.3x62 for current bid of $841

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/979107424

Name:  CZ-550FS_9.3x62.jpg
Views: 1569
Size:  53.8 KB

Or a modern CZ 550FS in the same caliber with a Schmidt & Bender 3-12x50 ; it's at your hard $ limit, but the scope is already there if you want it.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 04-02-2023 at 07:11 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

”But in the end all of these ideas just manufacture new criminals when the problem isn't a lack of criminals.” -JRB

User Tag List