Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: I have this sudden urge to buy a rifle

Swiss K31 for the win.
    Runner up: Carl Gustaf's CG-63 in 6.5x55.

Simpson Ltd has a bunch of the CG-63's, most are in the $800 to $1000 range. High condition K31's are in the same price range nowadays.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Site Supporter
    I've been reading the replies so far with interest. I already have an '09 Argentine Mauser rifle and carbine, a sporterized 03A3, a sporterized '09 Argentine in .25-06, a K31, and have in the past had a No 5 Mk 1....so I've got the old military rifles and sporterized versions of same fairly well covered. It'd appear I'm looking more for commercial rifles, and I'm enjoying looking at the different ones y'all are coming up with.

Simpson Ltd gets scads of older Husqvarna bold actions, most with irons. Lots in .30-06, 9.3x57 and 9.3x62. They are also a great source for reasonably priced SxS shotguns if that is your thing.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

I just saw this one while following a revolver link in the “Short Fuse Enabling” thread there.

Steyr-Mannlicher full stock carbine in 30-06 with double set triggers and Nikon Pro Staff scope, currently at
    $832

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/983079852

I don’t know a lot about these, I would guess it’s an MCA model from the mid 1960s.
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-06-2023 at 08:16 PM.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I just saw this one while following a revolver link in the “Short Fuse Enabling” thread there.

Steyr-Mannlicher full stock carbine in 30-06 with double set triggers and Nikon Pro Staff scope, currently at
    $832

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/983079852

I don’t know a lot about these, I would guess it’s an MCA model from the mid 1960s.
    Oh my that's pretty...
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

This one reminds me of some pretty fine Scandinavian mid-century modern furniture

Since we're all ate-up with Mauser variations love today here at P-F:

Husqvarna 1640 (1953-68) in .243 Win with modern crap-tier scope. These rifles are a svelte small-ring 96/98 variant with a side mounted safety. Looking at the stock work done, I'd be surprised if it hasn't been glass bedded yet.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/988688091

Name:  Screen Shot 2023-05-25 at 10.16.56 PM.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  47.2 KB

This is one of the cleanest examples I've yet seen. You could do way worse for under $1k. This might be a pretty great rifle for your daughters to learn on, too.

(my plan is to find a .243 or 6.5 x 55 version of this rifle for eldest daughter to replace her slightly sporterized Enfield No 4. Then again she's 5'10" and might do just fine with a 30-06. Or a 6.5 Grendel AR. She's hard to read sometimes.)
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

A no excuses classic

1922-23 Mauser Model M Mannlicher carbine in 30-06 made for the US market. It’s achingly pretty.

tps://www.gunbroker.com/item/986380717

Name:  IMG_0656.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  30.5 KB

Oops, sorry for the bad link above. Phones are challenging things.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/986380717

1922-23 Mauser Model M commercial carbine in 30-06
    Last edited by Lex Luthier; 05-27-2023 at 08:15 AM.

I’m like a kid in a candy store sometimes.

Early JP Sauer & Sohn Mauser 98 Stalking rifle in 30-06
    The stellar quality of metal & woodwork are pretty evident even on my bitty phone.

@okie john @Totem Polar @Welder

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/990722548

Name:  IMG_0725.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  24.7 KB

7 days to go and currently at $275.
    My guess would be $2-3k sale price.

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Luthier View Post
    I’m like a kid in a candy store sometimes.

Early JP Sauer & Sohn Mauser 98 Stalking rifle in 30-06
    The stellar quality of metal & woodwork are pretty evident even on my bitty phone.

@okie john @Totem Polar @Welder

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/990722548

Name:  IMG_0725.jpg
Views: 460
Size:  24.7 KB

7 days to go and currently at $275.
    My guess would be $2-3k sale price.
    That's gorgeous.

Three things stand out. First, the rear sight is mounted on the bolt stop. I once owned one like that and it didn't stay zeroed. Second, the stock has been refinished and the panels on the stock alongside the action have been rounded off (Image #4). Normally they have crisp edges like this one: https://www.magzter.com/stories/Mens...-9-X-57-Mauser. Third, someone, maybe the American gunsmith who refinished the stock, put Phillips head screws on the butt plate (Image #34).

But everything about this rifle is elegant and understated. If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take.

Okie John
    “The reliability of the 30-06 on most of the world’s non-dangerous game is so well established as to be beyond intelligent dispute.” Finn Aagaard
    "Don't fuck with it" seems to prevent the vast majority of reported issues." BehindBlueI's

User Tag List