Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Secret Service protection while incarcerated?

Secret Service protection while incarcerated?

How would that work? Would Secret Service become extra guards responsible for just one person? Could a prison decline access to a protectee?

You are several steps away from that yet, first you need a conviction.

I am sure they are discussing it, but I think all parties would tend to agree that if convicted, house arrest would be most probable for security concerns.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by 0ddl0t View Post
    How would that work? Would Secret Service become extra guards responsible for just one person? Could a prison decline access to a protectee?
    @WobblyPossum addressed this in another thread. Prison is not gonna happen in this case. If it did (as a far-fetched hypothetical), my guess is that it would involve transfer from state custody into federal custody and segregation at a minimum security facility staffed by BOP employees vetted by the USSS.

Quote Originally Posted by beenalongtime View Post
    You are several steps away from that yet, first you need a conviction.

I am sure they are discussing it, but I think all parties would tend to agree that if convicted, house arrest would be most probable for security concerns.
    Doesn't have to be Trump, but since we've crossed the Rubicon I expect political prosecutions of more presidents going forward. If speeding cars in Biden's motorcade run over a pedestrian in a red state, I imagine we could expect to see manslaughter charges brought after he leaves office...

I’m a trump fan overall but If he’s sentenced to prison he should lose SS protection
    I also think all gov officials should lose tax payer funded protection after they are out of office

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    I’m a trump fan overall but If he’s sentenced to prison he should lose SS protection
    I also think all gov officials should lose tax payer funded protection after they are out of office
    What is your impression right now of how many government officials get protection after leaving office?
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    What is your impression right now of how many government officials get protection after leaving office?
    As far as I know potus, VP I’m pretty sure and I’ve heard federal judges above a certain level?

As far as I know potus, VP I’m pretty sure and I’ve heard federal judges above a certain level?
    It's pretty rare. The vast majority of federal officials don't get protection extended beyond a 180 day transition period after leaving office, and if they do it's because there's a threat against their lives due to an official action they took in office.

Like, say, authorizing a hit on a high level Iranian terrorist.

And the ones that do automatically get protection life get it because it's assumed that their official actions have permanently placed a target on their back.

I, personally, would rather live in a country where our leaders are empowered to make hard decisions for the sake of the country even if that may put them in danger, rather than encouraged to make decisions out of personal convenience.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    It's pretty rare. The vast majority of federal officials don't get protection extended beyond a 180 day transition period after leaving office, and if they do it's because there's a threat against their lives due to an official action they took in office.

Like, say, authorizing a hit on a high level Iranian terrorist.

And the ones that do automatically get protection life get it because it's assumed that their official actions have permanently placed a target on their back.

I, personally, would rather live in a country where our leaders are empowered to make hard decisions for the sake of the country even if that may put them in danger, rather than encouraged to make decisions out of personal convenience.
    Presidents and VP’s will always be a target no matter what decisions they make so being protected or not wouldn’t make a difference

They make enough during and after their term that they can provide for general protection and if a actual threat is suspected then the gov can step in and help

Presidents and VP’s will always be a target no matter what decisions they make so being protected or not wouldn’t make a difference

They make enough during and after their term that they can provide for general protection and if a actual threat is suspected then the gov can step in and help
    Most government officials do not make enough money to buy protection commensurate to their threats. While many are well to do by our peasant standards, protection commensurate to their typical threat is exceptionally expensive and typically runs tens of millions of dollars per year more than their total net worth, to say nothing of what they actually can spend per year.

So you ARE okay with officials getting protection after leaving office, dependent on threat. What if I told you that pretty much everyone with protection after office is getting it because of an articulable threat(s)?

User Tag List