Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: Platypus 2011 that takes Glock mags now out in the wild

Another new Platypus has arrived:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms...typus_arrived/

Great/Awesome

As soon as I picked it up out of the box to inspect at the FFL: "Wow, this thing is light and slim!” Significantly lighter than my STI DVC/Edge guns, as thin as my favorite 1911’s. Exactly what I wanted in terms of grips/ergonomics.

Includes a really nice soft case with their embroidered logo, two Glock OEM 17rd 9mm mags (gen 4?) and the rear sight for use with an optic instead of the iron sights plate. Rear sight came with needed hex wrench to remove the set screw (more on this later).

The cerakote work on mine is excellent. I have no issues whatsoever and it absolutely matched my expectations based on the build-a-bear picker.

Pistol came well oiled and slightly dirty. I knew from watching videos that they did more than the 1-2 round test fire at the factory and I’m absolutely fine with this. It’s clear it was test fired and not sent out the door hoping it worked - it was sent out proven to work. I appreciate this vs. a pristine pistol someone claims they tested but may or may not have.

The slide-to-frame fit is excellent. It’s very clear that it’s hand-fitted (confirmed based on RGG’s new interview with them earlier this week where they said sending “extra” slides wasn’t likely to happen because they’re hand fit vs. “machine tolerances.” The slide moves like it’s buttered, with no grit, burrs or hangup.

The optics cut was an exact, perfect fit for the milled slot and the threads on the factory-included screws from Leupold were a perfect fit - no separate screws required.

I don’t have a trigger pull gauge but the trigger is appropriately light based on my “make it light” request. It has a little bit of takeup and pulls to a crisp, clean break with a normal-to-1911’s short reset. I can’t detect any real overtravel but there is no overtravel set screw so if I did it wouldn’t be adjustable. This is easily on par with my STI triggers and better than the gunsmith-tuned competition trigger in my single-stack Para. It’s not inconceivable that a USPSA GM would do something like drop in an Atlas trigger with pretravel and overtravel adjustments to tweak things I simply can’t feel yet at my skill level.

And for morale, a Platypus puppy:

Nice looking build option I came across; they're not just in crazy colors.

This is a really interesting idea. I’m curious. Can’t wait to see some range reports from people on the forum.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

I ordered one yesterday, now the epic wait begins. When I first started looking at these a month ago, the wait time was 2 weeks. As of yesterday it was 8 weeks.
    You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequence of your choice.

First print review. Lots of details and even more pics.

Summary
    The Stealth Arms Platypus is one of the most unique and fun guns I have reviewed. Throughout my hundreds of rounds of testing, it ran without any issues. It was accurate, smooth, and felt great. The Platypus has an MSRP starting at $1,500 but can go up from there depending on the customized options chosen in the custom builder tab.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/r...arms-platypus/

The Humble Marksman review has posted. He fired about 500 rounds over two days. Gun functioned fine with factory ammo and choked with bulk reloads he said also shut down several other guns. There’s a small ledge on the right side of the frame that he said should have been radiused because it’s noticeable when shooting and is causing a callus. Everything else was positive. He had good things to say about the optic cut. When the reloads locked the gun up, he had to beat the optic to unlock the slide. He said the optic retained zero and didn’t loosen.
    My posts only represent my personal opinion and do not necessarily reflect the opinions or official policies of any employer, past or present. Obvious spelling errors are likely the result of an iPhone keyboard.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyPossum View Post
    The Humble Marksman review has posted. He fired about 500 rounds over two days. Gun functioned fine with factory ammo and choked with bulk reloads he said also shut down several other guns. There’s a small ledge on the right side of the frame that he said should have been radiused because it’s noticeable when shooting and is causing a callus. Everything else was positive. He had good things to say about the optic cut. When the reloads locked the gun up, he had to beat the optic to unlock the slide. He said the optic retained zero and didn’t loosen.

Another guy with 500rd down range and no malfunctions / happy customer:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms...en_great_zero/

Another promising review:

https://www.reddit.com/r/stealtharms...ort_wplatypus/

Finally got the Platypus out to shoot today. Had to do some work at the land so brought stuff with me for several projects: first shots on the Platypus, recoil spring weight testing for it and a Springfield 1911 RO 9mm, and first shots on the Glock Performance Trigger in my G45.

I also brought my suppressor (Octane 45, My Sidewinder 9mm should be free in a few months). More on that later.

I brought the “mixed 9mm ammo” I bought from the recent Centerfire systems deal. It’s literally a mix of leftover/spilled/department buyback ammo and runs from range grade FMJ, full lead bullets through to HST, Gold Dot, and even an ARX round - a mix of profile, weight, charge, etc. Completely random. I love this stuff for testing guns and gun changes.

The Platypus ate everything. Every round, every time. It’s so incredibly smooth shooting. After 44 rounds from the ETS mags I compete with, I was satisfied it would function. Next I switched to the 150gr Syntech I’ll use for competition. Again, it functioned flawlessly (and the recoil impulse on the 150gr is more like “poof” than “bang”). I zeroed the DPP then focused on accuracy. It will shoot rounds through the same hole if I shoot right.

Next I switched to recoil spring testing. The factory spring is 14 lbs, made for defense/duty ammo, and you can definitely feel it lifting the front of the gun with the recoil impulse, even with lighter competition loads. I bought a spring pack from Wolff with 9 to 14 lb springs. For this I only used the Syntech 150gr I’ll use at matches. For reference, I run 11 lb springs in my 9mm Glocks for competition. I started with the 9 lb spring. It functioned perfectly but felt too light - the timing felt just a bit off and the muzzle seemed to not settle down before the next shot. I switched to an 11 lb spring and tried again. Timing was better but the dot seemed to end up just a little lower than the original point of aim. I put in the 10 lb spring, tried again and got the feel I wanted. Everything cycled and the gun felt flat in my grip/recoil.

Things I’d like to see

1. Some sort of palm swell grip option
    2. Barrel porting option like Monsoons chunk port or Lucky 7 porting
    3. Steel frame option
    4. Holosun 509T direct mount option

User Tag List