Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Platypus 2011 that takes Glock mags now out in the wild

Platypus 2011 that takes Glock mags now out in the wild

A few months back at SHOT there was news of these. It's now real and people are starting to get them. Small youtube channels of unknown provenance, but initial reports are positive - a lot more positive than the Prodigy.

So far I'm pretty stoked off the concept. I've long dreamt of a gun with a 1911 trigger that took Glock mags

Has anyone here tried one yet?

Obligatory pic for those who forgot what a Platypus looks like.

I was pretty intrigued when I heard about these. Glad to see they're actually in production. I'll be interested to see Cowan or one of his peers do a review.

And because every thread needs more platypus...

Quote Originally Posted by spyderco monkey View Post

If these things work and the company otherwise plays their cards right, they have the opportunity to blow right past the Prodigy and start taking real market share from Staccato.

Staccato - “Hey Glock guy, look at this awesome hi cap 1911ish wonderblaster. Just give us $3000 and then go buy all new holsters, mag carriers, and $50 mags (and we promise they even work now!).”

Stealth - “So this is the same thing at $1400 but you only need a holster. Unless you just want to buy more $20 Glock mags because reasons, which is also cool.”

Quote Originally Posted by Elwin View Post
    If these things work and the company otherwise plays their cards right, they have the opportunity to blow right past the Prodigy and start taking real market share from Staccato.

Staccato - “Hey Glock guy, look at this awesome hi cap 1911ish wonderblaster. Just give us $3000 and then go buy all new holsters, mag carriers, and $50 mags (and we promise they even work now!).”

Stealth - “So this is the same thing at $1400 but you only need a holster. Unless you just want to buy more $20 Glock mags because reasons, which is also cool.”
    As a Glock guy this has piqued my interest for the example given. I'm not going to beta test, but if it pans out I just may get to scratch my 2011 itch.
    "Detached reflection cannot be demanded in the presence of an uplifted knife." - Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes, Brown v. United States, 256 U.S. 335 (1921)

If the thing works, and if they can make enough, they may have a hit here.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Site Supporter
    I don’t put aesthetics above everything, but damn: Milling machine go brrrrrrrr!

Why so many slide cuts? Make less slide cuts; save time; save tooling: profit.

Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    I don’t put aesthetics above everything, but damn: Milling machine go brrrrrrrr!

Why so many slide cuts? Make less slide cuts; save time; save tooling: profit.
    Looking at their website before I think I remember a more plain Jane 1911 look being the base model. The bling is add ons.

You take a beaver, put a duckbill on it… it’s a mammal, but it lays eggs. One of my favorite Robin Williams bits.

I'm eager to see one of these show up in the pic thread. As an aluminum-framed gun, I'm suuuper-curious about a 9mm Commander.
    Per the PF Code of Conduct, I have a commercial interest in the StreakTM product as sold by Ammo, Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bergeron View Post
    I'm eager to see one of these show up in the pic thread. As an aluminum-framed gun, I'm suuuper-curious about a 9mm Commander.
    Mentioned in the other thread from when these came out, but I really want a lightweight 9mm Commander that takes G19 mags. Especially at half the price of an EDC X9, which is a 15rd lightweight 9mm Commander but still has proprietary mags.

The only thing on the market similar to this is the DWX series, and while CZ and Mecgar mags is good, it’s not Glock mags good.

User Tag List