Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Tornado Season 2023

Site Supporter

Tornado Season 2023

It’s that time of year again and we have two strong systems forecast to hit between now and next Tuesday or Wednesday. I’ll post up some maps and forecast discussions of next weeks threat (which right now looks to be worse) after this first system gets through.

The system for tonight looks like it could affect areas from northern MS and AL up to WI and eastward from Indiana South. Anybody that lives in these areas should be used to dealing with severe weather, but I’ll still give the boiler plate advice of be able to get warnings and have a plan if you’re in the affected areas.

Here’s the Storm Prediction Center’s map for tonight.

Name:  89A1771B-BF28-413C-9989-B0BE057F14C8.gif
Views: 245
Size:  31.0 KB

And their day one outlook/forecast.

...SUMMARY...
    Intense and widespread severe thunderstorms are expected this
    afternoon into the overnight hours across portions of the Middle
    Mississippi Valley and Mid-South vicinity, eastward to the Lower
    Ohio and Tennessee Valleys. Intense, damaging gusts and several
    tornadoes (some strong and long-track) are expected.

...Discussion...

Strong, dynamic upper low will begin to deepen early in the period
    as it tracks across the central Plains into the Midwest Friday
    evening. This feature will encourage a pronounced surface low to
    eject into southeast NE by sunrise Friday, then into lower MI by the
    end of the period. Significant moisture return ahead of the
    associated cold front will lead to an air mass supportive of severe
    thunderstorms from the mid MS Valley/Midwest into the lower MS
    Valley.

...Mid-MS Valley/Midwest Vicinity...

Early this morning, a strong upper trough is shifting across western
    WY/Four Corners region. An upper low should evolve over the central
    Plains by late morning with further deepening expected as the low
    tracks into the mid MO Valley by early evening. Latest model
    guidance suggests a 500mb speed max will increase to near 110kt as
    it translates across MO into the OH Valley during the latter half of
    the period. As a result, intense 12hr height falls, on the order of
    270-300m, will spread across the mid MS Valley/Midwest which should
    encourage the aforementioned surface low to deepen as it matures
    over northeast IA/southwest WI.

Strong low-level warm advection is currently aiding a corridor of
    elevated convection from northeast NE across northern IA,
    along/north of a stationary front draped across this region. Latest
    thinking is much of the warm sector should remain convective-free
    through late morning until leading edge of stronger forcing spreads
    east in conjunction with rapid boundary-layer heating ahead of the
    cold front. Steep low-level lapse rate plume should develop across
    the central Plains early then spread/develop east-northeast across
    MO into portions of IA ahead of the front. Forecast soundings
    suggest convective temperatures will be breached by 18z immediately
    ahead of the low/front. Scattered supercells should develop quickly
    thereafter, tracking quickly northeast in response to the
    fast-moving upper trough/speed max. Discrete supercells should be
    the initial storm mode with very large hail expected. With time,
    strong forcing may lead to line segment and clusters. Strong shear
    will support long-lived updrafts. In addition to very large hail,
    tornadoes can be expected (a few strong) with these storms,
    especially prior to any line segment evolution.

While the more concentrated storms should be noted across
    IA/northern MO into northwest IL, there is concern for more isolated
    long-track supercells across central MO into IL. All hazards can be
    expected with these storms.

...Lower MS Valley...

A secondary corridor of concentrated convection is expected to
    evolve ahead of the front across the lower MS Valley. Early-day
    mid-level speed max that races across northern OK into MO will allow
    the front to surge into southern MO, arcing across the Arklatex by
    late afternoon. Surface dew points have risen into the mid 60s
    across northeast TX/western LA early this morning. This air mass
    will easily advance across AR into western KY prior to convective
    initiation. As a result, SBCAPE should be on the order of 2000 J/kg
    with very strong sfc-6km shear and low-level SRH. Any supercells
    that evolve within this air mass will do so within an environment
    that favors long-lived updrafts and strong tornadoes. Upscale growth
    into a QLCS is expected during the latter half of the period. Severe
    threat should spread east across the northern Gulf States Friday
    night.

..Darrow/Thornton.. 03/31/2023

Site Supporter
    Good luck with the storms.

I miss my days of storm chasing. The adventure, the hunt, the adrenaline, and even if it was a total bust, you had a great road trip experience.

However, there is the dilemma of being excited about the storms, and how they impact people. I’ll gladly trade the fun of chasing for the safety of my fellow man.

A few years ago, my parents house was hit by a small tornado. We went into the shelter and rode it out. Minimal damage, and that was the only time we’ve ever had one impact one of our houses.

May God bless everyone affected by past storms, and in the path of future storms.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by TheNewbie View Post
    I miss my days of storm chasing. The adventure, the hunt, the adrenaline, and even if it was a total bust, you had a great road trip experience.
    "Chasing" has been culled from NWS vernacular, replaced by "Storm Spotting"....
    A number of people have been killed or seriously injured, both the Chasers and innocent victims.
    I don't recall whether NWS was ever found liable in any of those losses, but, in the pas few years they have distanced themselves from direct interaction with Spotters, instead leaving that direct communication to local EM. Weather Channel was sued for big bucks over the deaths of 3 Chasers.

/tangent.

I hope everyone in the path of these storms remains storm aware and stays safe.

Recommended apps... MyRadar does a great job with notifications and RadarScope is one of the best storm tracking tools available.
    I believe both have free versions for iOS and Android.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyGBiv View Post
    "Chasing" has been culled from NWS vernacular, replaced by "Storm Spotting"....
    A number of people have been killed or seriously injured, both the Chasers and innocent victims.
    I don't recall whether NWS was ever found liable in any of those losses, but, in the pas few years they have distanced themselves from direct interaction with Spotters, instead leaving that direct communication to local EM. Weather Channel was sued for big bucks over the deaths of 3 Chasers.

/tangent.

Recommended apps... MyRadar does a great job with notifications and RadarScope is one of the best storm tracking tools available.

Chasing was stupid busy last time I went. Since I was not spotting on behalf of NWS, I would say the chasing description fit us best.

The chasing community is like any other. A few impressive people, some jerks, and a lot of normal people. However, the traffic was so busy the last time that I went, that I’ve got little desire to go now. The number of people out there chasing was ridiculous. While I miss the chase, the behavior of the drivers chasing storms is dangerous and embarrassing.

There are a lot of storm spotters out there who do good work.

I’ve been out of the game for a decade now, so I’m not up to date with what it’s like now.

Consumer grade forecasts show another night of storms in my area, the third this month.
    The last round killed people in Mississippi and totaled a friend's house here in NW Alabama (Florence.)

Supposed to clear up over the weekend but more rain and storms next week.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Site Supporter

Adding to previous post....

It's a good idea to find your local forecast area over at NWS and bookmark your local pages.

Start here: https://www.weather.gov/

Mouse over your location on the map and you can see the URL change. When you're in the right place, click to open your local forecast and bookmark the page.
    Then click through the tabs for up to date data for your area, including forecast, probabilities, timing, etc. as well as local radar (bottom of page).

Here's the page for Memphis area, looking at strong storms tonight.
    https://www.weather.gov/meg/
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

Site Supporter
    SPC added a large area to the moderate risk outlook this morning, and in the forecast discussion they say there is a high probability of strong long-track tornadoes, many after dark.

https://twitter.com/@twitter/status/1641784625784848385

Also, I’ll second @RoyGBiv ‘s app and local weather service recommendations. In this day in age where anyone with a smart phone and cell coverage can livestream their local weather or look at their own personal radar we shouldn’t have people blindly driving into tornado warned storms, but we still do.

Eta: if you have twitter your local National weather Service office will have a page and post forecasts and warnings throughout any events.

Site Supporter
    From last week’s Tornado in Rolling Fork Mississippi: Some unfortunate souls who got caught in their car during the storm.

Name:  541EECA9-3482-44FA-A8ED-EED5A8C45C7D.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  8.3 KB

You can see it @2:30 in this video orbiting all the way around the tornado. Pretty horrifying.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caballoflaco View Post
    From last week’s Tornado in Rolling Fork Mississippi: Some unfortunate souls who got caught in their car during the storm.

You can see it @2:30 in this video orbiting all the way around the tornado. Pretty horrifying.

That is terrifying.

ETA:

Adding again to this....
    If you listen in to NWS communications with spotters (usually via local HAM repeaters), you'd see that when NWS informs spotters in real time about radar-indicated rotation, or reported visuals of rotation and post "Warnings" (not "Watches"... Warnings are actually happening, watches are conditions are conducive but not active)... The above apps will notify users within a few seconds of NWS posting a warning or watch... and the two types will be visually different.. Typically yellow box is a watch and red box is warning/immediate threat..

If there are multiple tornadoes in a warning box, you'll only get the one notification, however. It's important that if you are in a warning box that you keep a live eye on weather, whether you use TV, radio, or an app. The apps will show you all tornado-warned storms within a warning box, but, you have to look at the app to see them after you get the initial warning..

That video made my hands sweat...
    Last edited by RoyGBiv; 03-31-2023 at 11:02 AM.

Having grown up in tornado alley, I'm happy that the major event pattern has shifted east. I do feel for those now facing the brunt of it. Many areas are woefully prepared, both in their warning systems and their mindset.

Storm chasers? As an old road cop, I have absolutely no use for them.
    We may lose and we may win, but we will never be here again.......

User Tag List