Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: P30SK keeps dropping mags.. advice?

P30SK keeps dropping mags.. advice?

Sorry to bother you all, but I've had this problem for a few months and online searching is not coming up with much, so I figured the cognoscenti here would have some good advice.

I got a P30sk and every now and then it drops the mag on recoil.

Magazines? It happens with all my magazines, so it's likely not a mag issue.

Thumbs hitting the release paddle on recoil? Nope. My thumbs are definitely out of the way, so it's not that.

Trigger finger hitting the paddle on recoil? I've played around with the gun trying to find a position where my finger could hit the mag release when the trigger is pulled all the way back, but I can't make it happen. But maybe it's somehow happening?

Possible Theory: If the trigger finger is hitting the mag release paddle on recoil.. maybe it happens when my grip slips down a bit? It's possble my grip could be slipping.. the gun is small.

Possible Solution?: make sure my high crush grip isn't slipping, which would then keep the fingers of my shooting hand firmly under the release mag release paddle. Would that prevent the paddle from being activated inadvertently ?

I'm stumped and about a hair away from selling this thing. None of my other TDA guns have this issue, but they also have mag release buttons and not fiddly paddles, as gawd intended.

Advice?

Could be a broken spring. Could be a worn or broken mag catch. Check both.
    "You win 100% of the fights you avoid. If you're not there when it happens, you don't lose." - William Aprill
    "I've owned a guitar for 31 years and that sure hasn't made me a musician, let alone an expert. It's made me a guy who owns a guitar."- BBI

Quote Originally Posted by Joe in PNG View Post
    Could be a broken spring. Could be a worn or broken mag catch. Check both.
    The gun is new, but I checked. Everything is fine. Mage catch is pristine, spring is whole.

Update: Even with my grip choked up as high as possible and my fingers mashed under the trigger guard, the mag paddle can still be activated, so that's not a solution if my trigger finger is somehow hitting the paddle on recoil.

I am now just about ready to get rid of this fiddly teutonic terror of a pistol. Who in their right mind uses a trigger guard paddle as a mag release??

Quote Originally Posted by Singh View Post
    Who in their right mind uses a trigger guard paddle as a mag release??
    Fiddly Teutonic gunmakers.

Welcome to the world of "it works for everyone but you." The first thing I do on a Langdon Beretta is swap the oversize mag release for a standard one. Otherwise, as I'm breaking the first shot I also dump the mag. I could lessen it to some extent, but never completely. You can't change a P30, but you can move on.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

I've encountered this with a few P30s I had in the past. I finally determined it was being caused by the index finger on my support hand. When my support (left) hand wrapped around my stong hand my left index finger was occasionally getting positioned between my strong hand index and middle fingers and literally on top of the mag release paddle. Depending on how tight I was gripping the gun or if my support hand grip loosened it would activate the mag release on recoil. When shooting the P30 I had to be very deliberate with my grip to avoid this happening. It's no fault of the gun but instead my grip. Your situation may be different but this is what I've experienced.

Site Supporter
    The mag release on the P30 keeps me from picking one up as much as anything else does. Maybe if you could swap it out for one the size of the USP I would.

From what I remember, the Walter release was more difficult to use, but also more difficult to accidentally drop.

Since the chances of needing to reload in a fight in order to survive are small, even smaller with a higher capacity gun, and even if you do, it probably doesn’t have to be top 1% shooter fast, I prefer a more secure release.

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    Fiddly Teutonic gunmakers.

Welcome to the world of "it works for everyone but you." The first thing I do on a Langdon Beretta is swap the oversize mag release for a standard one. Otherwise, as I'm breaking the first shot I also dump the mag. I could lessen it to some extent, but never completely. You can't change a P30, but you can move on.
    I could Bubba the thing and go at the paddle release with a dremel tool.

Quote Originally Posted by MD7305 View Post
    I've encountered this with a few P30s I had in the past. I finally determined it was being caused by the index finger on my support hand. When my support (left) hand wrapped around my strong hand my left index finger was occasionally getting positioned between my strong hand index and middle fingers and literally on top of the mag release paddle.... It's no fault of the gun but instead my grip. Your situation may be different but this is what I've experienced.
    Hmm, I just checked my grip and I'm pretty sure that's not it, unless my hand and the gun are twisting like pretzels in recoil.. and I'm sure that's not happening.

The gun is mechanically fine. It has to be me. And frankly I'm too old to adopt a specific grip for just one gun when my normal grip works in all my other guns. Sorry HK, you're not that special.

The dremel tool is looking pretty tempting right now..

Site Supporter
    Maybe LTT could offer some reduced sized levers.

I have an HK P2000 and USP 45 full-size. Neither have magazine retention issues. On both of these pistols I can get a full-fingered purchase on the grip area. I've often thought of getting a P2000SK, since it might be a bit more concealable than the P2000. But the lack, for me, of a full-fingered grip gives me pause. That dangling pinky. To give perspective, on my Glock 26 I prefer the 12-round factory magazine because it gives my pinky something to wrap around. I might give up a bit of concealability with the longer magazine, but my pinky likes that 12-rounder.

As far as your P30SK, I would humbly suggest sending it down the road. I say this due to the fact I've had firearms that have had reliability issues, so I wouldn't carry them for self-defense. So range shooting would be an option or it could become a safe queen. If you are ok with shooting it occasionally at the range, then keep it. But if it becomes a safe queen, then it isn't doing you any good. Also, the P30SK suggests to me that you bought it for concealment/self-defense. Buy something else that you can vet and trust. Lament the passing of the P30SK, but move on with a firearm that is reliable and satisfying.

The gun is mechanically fine. It has to be me. And frankly I'm too old to adopt a specific grip for just one gun when my normal grip works in all my other guns. Sorry HK, you're not that special.
    True.
    How often have I read and heard, "Just change your grip and trigger finger, that will keep you from punching your Glock low left."
    Since I don't punch my Colt, Smith, CZ, SIG low left, I am not changing the way I hold a pistol. The next time I am at the range, my Glock will have a for sale sign on it. (I have moved the sights to suit ME, but it still barks my knuckle. Sayonara, Gaston.)
    Code Name: JET STREAM

User Tag List