Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: S&W 329PD as a .44 special launcher

I've never seen one sell for less than 900 bucks, most go north of 1200.
    I would buy them all day long at 6-700.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    I also have a 4 inch Scandium, in .45 .acp, but I would take the .44 all day every day. Lot more capability in the loading possibilities and no moon clips.
    I take the opposite view. I have a 625 and 329, and like each. Get Rimz plastic moon clips, it dramatically reduces the hassle of moon clips, with almost all the benefits. The main advantage is you can use light thumb pressure to load and unload the clips. Though .44 has more versatility in loading, I'm kind of a wimp about recoil, so I never loaded my 329 with rounds hotter than .45 acp. Plus you can shoot .45 Super through it, if you need more power. .45 ACP ammo cost is at least half of .44 mag or special. Cases are abundant if you want to load, and I have a Dillon press that stays set up in .45 acp.

I've been looking for a model 325, but haven't found one for the right price, yet.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by JCN View Post
    Can anyone educate me on the relative difference between 45 ACP out of a 625 versus 44 special out of a 329?

Similar? Any reason to pick one over another?
    Did you mean a 325 vs a 329 ?

The 625 is a stainless steel frame gun vs the scandium frame 300 series guns.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    Did you mean a 325 vs a 329 ?

The 625 is a stainless steel frame gun vs the scandium frame 300 series guns.
    It was my ignorance! I still have a hard time understanding the different nomenclature of the Smith & Wesson Revolvers.

I should have known, but did not realize about the scandium revolvers. In my head, I was just comparing ballistics of 44 special versus 45 ACP. I kind of love moon clips so my half-baked thought was that I was extremely happy with my 45 ACP revolver and was trying to figure out what I was missing with the 44 special. I do have a clearance sale 44 magnum cylinder for my scandium N frames.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    It was my ignorance! I still have a hard time understanding the different nomenclature of the Smith & Wesson Revolvers.
    This will probably tell you more than you thought you wanted to know.
    If we have to march off into the next world, let us walk there on the bodies of our enemies.

3-digit, 3xx model number indicates a scandium/aluminum frame for revolvers. It's the only thing AFAIK they're consistent on.

2-4 digit, 6x, 6xx and 6xxx indicates stainless or a stainless+aluminum combo. Applies to revolvers and 2nd/3rd gen metal frame autos. There are stainless guns that don't start with a 6, too. model 500 revolver, 3rd gen 3906, etc.

Everything else is a rabbit hole. Stephanie's TFL link has individual model number explanations. (They indicate the 396 is aluminum not scandium/aluminum but otherwise looks right.)

Can anyone educate me on the relative difference between 45 ACP out of a 625 versus 44 special out of a 329?

Similar? Any reason to pick one over another?
    I could tell you about a 625 vs 325 PD.

The 325 needed a heavy roll crimp to keep from slipping (which made moons or AR brass a requirement .)

With 230 grain factory loads, the sixth chamber made a great inertial bullet puller.

I did like the Ti cylinder, IMO it turns more easily, reducing DA pull. It would be great on a steel revolver.

For a gun that will be shot more than occasionally, it’s no contest: 625.

User Tag List